Weight training plan for women over 40 after weight loss

Options
Does anyone know of a website where I could get a personalized weight training plan? I don't want to pay a monthly fee. I would just like a start-up plan. I am 44 years old and 5'4" and when I started my diet plan back in August 2014, I was 285 lbs. I have now lost 60 lbs and my current weight is 225 lbs. I would like to lose at least another 50 lbs. I'm pear-shaped and now that I've lost this weight, I'm noticing how "soft" I am. I've been incorporating resistance training into my workouts, but clearly I'm not knowledgeable enough to see real results with the toning up. I've had 2 children, so my lower abs are pretty soft and I've lost a lot of weight in my chest, so those need a "pick me up" as well. Any information or advice would be most appreciated!!

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    The book, New Rules of Lifting for Women is my first recommendation for women. Beyond that, stronglifts.com is a good beginner to intermediate strength program (and free).

Enjoy!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    The book, New Rules of Lifting for Women is my first recommendation for women. Beyond that, stronglifts.com is a good beginner to intermediate strength program (and free).

Enjoy!

This...I started Strongifts 5x5 right before my 40th birthday...loved it. Moved to 3x5 when it was taking over 90mins and now doing 5/3/1.
  • JustMe2691
    JustMe2691 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    You could check out Bodybuilding.com and search for weight training plans. They have plans and examples of all the exercises and you can modify it as you need to.
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    A good program for the over-40 crowd is New Rules of Lifting for Life.

If you want a truly personalized plan, you'll need to hire a good personal trainer.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You're doing amazing. I like bodybuilding.com myself but I hear good things about the other plans mentioned too. You could also look into meeting with a trainer to write a plan for you and meeting with them every few weeks or small group classes. I know the cost of one on ones can be pretty pricey.
  • sonyatab
    sonyatab Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the input and suggestions! I will definitely check all of these out!
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    I'm 65 and agree with all of the above ideas. I do a lifting program designed by my trainer but it's pretty close to Stronglifts 5X5. He's challenged me with accessory workouts though that are tailored to my needs. As we age we all have different issues with joints and muscle groups that are sometime difficult to diagnose and overcome..............hence the benefit of a good trainer.

If you can't or don't want to work with a trainer then just find a program that you think will give you the results you want and one you will stick with. I think you'll find that lifting weights will give you some great benefits in not only strength but the shape of your body............there's really nothing quite like it.