Mexican restaurant today

Options
It is the second day on my diet and today I'm going to a car club meeting at a Mexican restaurant. A luncheon. I looked and there isn't an online menu. It's local and not a chain. I'll skip the basket of chips, and Mexican beer, and a Margarita. But I don't know what to choose for the entree. I'm allergic to lettuce so salad is not a choice. Any one have a suggestion for a good low calorie meal?

Replies

• hvreeland
    hvreeland Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My go-to is any type of fajitas. I ask for just the skillet, and I get a side of guacamole. I just pour the guacamole and salsa directly onto the skillet. It's so delicious!
  • jellybeanhed313
    jellybeanhed313 Posts: 344 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    fajita meat and veggies. I always order chicken or steak fajitas and skip the sides/tortillas. I ask for a big side of pico to top it along with limes, cilantro. It makes a mountain of food that is both filling and tastes great! All about 500 calories for the plates at most mexican restaurants. Good luck. You got this! :)
  • djprice_69
    djprice_69 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    It might be worth checking to see if they have any sort of a children's menu and give that a shot. Unfortunately for higher caloric content items the only real "low calorie" option is just a smaller portion. Stick to water with lemon instead of pop (or beer/margarita as you've mentioned.) Another option might be fajitas and ask for no rice or tortillas so you can mainly focus on the meat & veg. Best of luck to you! Mexican restaurants are definitely a weakness of mine.
  • jellybeanhed313
    Options
    You can also ask them to use as little oil as possible.
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to keep your calories low, get the fajitas (ask for light oil if possible), and don't use cheese, sour cream, or tortillas.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I always get two shrimp tacos with no cheese. That's roughly 500 calories.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I always get chicken fajitas. I eat one in the tortilla, then just eat the chicken and veggies.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    most Mexican foods contain some form of lettuce.

Fajitas contain lettuce, that is only going to cause a reaction to op. :'(
    Oh, I see you avoid the vegetable bits by concentrating on just the cooked meat portion.

fa3e19ffd513583d5f7ae60382262d9a0505d72589cd2374af2b2a7de75e057d.jpg

Try enchiladas, with beans and rice as possible sides. They are delicious!
  • eseeton
    eseeton Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Living in south Texas, I go to Mexican resturants all the time - have a few chips and order fajitas with corn tortillas for low cal. I've given up on that though. I eat a 2-enchilada plate with rice and beans and I end up eating about 1,600 calories that meal...... YUM
  • jellybeanhed313
    Options

Oh, I see you avoid the vegetable bits by concentrating on just the cooked meat portion.

Fajitas do not "contain" lettuce. The lettuce is usually on a side plate. I hate lettuce and just ask for none if I get side. Fajitas are ususally just meat & pepper/onion mix(sometimes other veggies) with everything else on the side.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I don't know how one can not touch the delicious basket of chips!

I go for carne asada tacos usually. It's flank steak which is pretty lean, no cheese or sour cream, and it's delicious.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    The rice and beans (not refried) will fill you up and has way less calories than most entrees.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Fajitas do not "contain" lettuce. The lettuce is usually on a side plate. I hate lettuce and just ask for none if I get side. Fajitas are ususally just meat & pepper/onion mix(sometimes other veggies) with everything else on the side.

Yes, you missed reading the 3rd sentence I wrote.
    never-mind this wasn't to the person who I was responding too, just a troll.
  • JeannieCarlson
    JeannieCarlson Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies. I got this! Chicken Fajitas win...I'll get pico on the side. Allowing it is a big portion, I can take half the fajita home. One corn tortilla but no rice, beans or lettuce. Water, lots and lots of water today. My 2nd day streak is off to a good start.
  • JeannieCarlson
    JeannieCarlson Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    And, I'm taking my dog Sophie with me. After lunch a walk in the park. What a plan. xoxo