Need running advice!!!

Options
SOS! Need tips for running!! Went for a run yesterday for the first time and had a lot of pain in my feet, ankles, & shins. No Bueno )-:

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Do not run every day, start with every second or third day. Do a walking warm up for a few minutes, then run. Go slowly and then slow down some more. Ideally you should be able to talk while running, or it is time to slow down. If you are a complete beginner, do not try for a long run. Figure out how long your first goal is, make sure you can walk the distance at a brisk pace, then move to intervals of running and walking.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Got properly fitting running shoes? If not, go to a dedicated running store and have them watch you run (they should have a treadmill). They will inspect your feet, look at your gait, how you move, etc and should be able to recommend a few shoes that fit your "type" of gait.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Good shoes, Do Not Try to Run to Far too Fast, work your way up to running longer and harder
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Same as above get fitted for a good pair of shoes and maybe follow a running program Couch to 5K is pretty good what i have heard and read. What is your goal, marathon, half marathon 10K, 5K or just weight loss? Plenty of beginning running programs out there. Even if it is just for weight loss these programs are made for beginners. If you dont have a goal such as a running event maybe sign up for one to give yourself some motivation. Maybe even check for a local running club, where I purchase my shoes they have weekly running events just mostly short runs all you need to do is show up.
  • lordvoldemort1
    lordvoldemort1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My advice will be less technical than everyone elses- but on top of all their advice, I can't sing enough the praises of a good running playlist. For me, I need good tempo and inspiring/motivational lyrics. Things like I'm still standing and gives you hell. when you're in your stride and a song like that comes on, it makes things easier
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Well I don't think music is going to help the pain situation. Music can help the motivation/boredom aspect for some people (I will not run with music for various reasons).