New to myfitnesspal - Question !!

Options
I entered all my food for the day in addition to my workout - and I still have 600 calories remaining. Is it okay to have those calories in excess or do I need to break even? I entered that I would like to lose 2lbs/week, and with that, my daily calorie intake is 1,400. I would imagine I could leave the excess 600 calories but want to make sure I won't be putting my body in some kind of defecit from my workout.

Replies

• sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I would say get as close to even as possible... Nuts are always a high cal healthy option
  • kansasgal19
    kansasgal19 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    A little excess is okay, but if you're exercising a lot and not replacing those calories, you won't lose weight, instead your body will store up fat rather than burning it. Sometimes I run anywhere up to 200 under, but I try to hit around the mark they give me. Try lean protein or something like nuts or berries to fill the gap.

Add me if you'd like!! :-)
  • Vkoons3
    Vkoons3 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    You need to make sure you are eating all of the calories that is suggested to you so that your body doesnt go into starvation mode.
  • flea2449
    flea2449 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    MFP says you should break even or come close to it. I'd say 200 to 300 calories left is ok. I could be wrong though.
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I entered all my food for the day in addition to my workout - and I still have 600 calories remaining. Is it okay to have those calories in excess or do I need to break even? I entered that I would like to lose 2lbs/week, and with that, my daily calorie intake is 1,400. I would imagine I could leave the excess 600 calories but want to make sure I won't be putting my body in some kind of defecit from my workout.

Just make sure your calorie counts are very accurate...are you using a food scale? measuring out servings correctly? A couple hundred calories off could be detrimental to your diet. For the first couple weeks I was measuring out in cups or counting out portions but I finally got a food scale and realized that i was probably undercounting my calories.

For example: The avocado listing I used measures a whole avocado at 200 g. So I would split the avocado and just do the math. When i got my food scale, I found that most of the avocados were about 220-250g. That makes a big difference in calories. So careful before you start eating back exercise calories. Good luck!