I've been trying and failing to be in control of my weight for all my life ! I need lots of support!

Options
My mum started me dieting when I was a child. I was not overweight but it was just what women did in those days! At 14 I was taking her Duromine tablets and I haven't stopped struggling since. I am 62 now and I have a lap band but am still around 79k.
I just love sweets and exercise is always a struggle for me. As vegetarian I eat lots of carbs so I'm still probably doing everything wrong.
It is the persistence that I lack.....I need an eating regime that I can stick to that will stop me from craving sweets......
If you are in a similar situation and need a friend then here I am....If you can give me any clues about how to keep on the straight and narrow then please help.....

Replies

• JeannieCarlson
    JeannieCarlson Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi, Is the 3:28 am real? If it is, are you up by choice? I ask this because along with some extra pounds I sometimes don't get enough sleep, and on those days I am so tired I eat more and concentrate less on good food and good choices.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with my weight all my life as well, but now that I'm in my 50s, I've come to the conclusion that MOST of my "cravings" are 99.27% mental/ emotional and only about 0.73% biochemical. My BODY isn't telling me what it wants to eat, my BRAIN is telling me what it wants to feel. And my brain is damned good at it! It's had 50+ years to build these neural pathways that associate sweet with "fun" or "reward", carbs like potatoes and pasta with "comfort", and beer with relaxation and down time. So to control my "cravings", I first give myself a mental finger wag: "Alice you're a big girl now, and being an adult means not giving in to every one of your petulant wants"; and then I try to be a bit more gentle with myself and try to understand the mental/emotional state behind the "craving" so I can satisfy my need for "comfort" or "reward" or "relaxation" in some other way than my heading for the fridge. :)
  • margf
    margf Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hello... I live in Australia so that may explain the time! Thanks for the support...Ive actually had a really great day today so I'm feeling enthused!
  • margf
    Options
    Well after another week, a new granddaughter and a death of a family member I am till the same weight! In fact when I weigh on Wednesday I may well be heavier!!!!
    I just have so MUCH trouble staying motivated and on task....anyone in the same boat? Everyday is a battle to stay off the junk!
  • cpp_happy
    cpp_happy Posts: 60 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Yep. Have you tried to make your "junk" healthy?? That helps me, the "deliciously Ella" cookbook is an example of this kind of tweak. I also choose to focus on being healthy... Conscious and deliberate/ intentional. Still work but I'm in control. Good luck
  • margf
    Options
    Yes thankyou.....I would love to be apart of a group to give me extra support.......I don't believe in WW or the other companies that make money from people's struggles.
  • margf
    Options
    Yeah!!! My weight is finally going down...not a lot but its down! Thanks for the support guys!