Reps and sets

Options
How many reps and sets of a particular exercise should I be doing? My goal is to loose fat and build real muscle. Also, how do I know when to add more weight? I'm new to this and need help! Thanks!

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,838 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to build muscle, you should be sticking in the 10-rep range, though anything from 8-12 is good. When starting out, pick a weight which feels light to you, do 3 sets of 8-10 reps. If you can get 10 reps for all 3 sets, then next workout increase the weight to the next highest. Don't make a huge jump; just go up by a little bit, even if only a couple pounds. After a few weeks you'll have increased to the point where you can only get 8 or 9 reps with the weight; stick with that weight until you can again do 10 reps for all 3 sets, now you can increase the weight again.

Lots of programs give guidance on which exercises to perform, lots of adherents to the Stronglifts 5x5 program, or Beginning Strength. (Google each term to find details.)

Welcome to the brotherhood (and sisterhood) of iron! Once you get going, you'll never want to leave!
  • amyjeanne990
    amyjeanne990 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much. Very helpful!
  • sakibihabibi
    sakibihabibi Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    In my opinion and experience you need to stick to low reps and lift HEaVY. Stick to the 4-6 or 6-8 rep range. I do 6 reps for all my major lifts: deadlift, bench press, military press and squat. Once you hit 6 reps for a weight you move up. I rest 3-5 minutes between sets since I lift really heavy. I've seen all kinds of gains. Of course there is a lot more to it.
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    If your goal is to build muscle, you should be sticking in the 10-rep range, though anything from 8-12 is good. When starting out, pick a weight which feels light to you, do 3 sets of 8-10 reps. If you can get 10 reps for all 3 sets, then next workout increase the weight to the next highest. Don't make a huge jump; just go up by a little bit, even if only a couple pounds. After a few weeks you'll have increased to the point where you can only get 8 or 9 reps with the weight; stick with that weight until you can again do 10 reps for all 3 sets, now you can increase the weight again.

Lots of programs give guidance on which exercises to perform, lots of adherents to the Stronglifts 5x5 program, or Beginning Strength. (Google each term to find details.)

Welcome to the brotherhood (and sisterhood) of iron! Once you get going, you'll never want to leave!

Yup! I always tell myself that if I can get to 12, it better still be difficult to push that last rep out. Once it's "easy" to hit 12, time to increase weight.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Fat loss comes from what and how much you eat. So, focus on your food choices to get rid of the fat.

For exercise, to gain muscle, you’ll want to lift heavy at low to moderate reps. Early on, a rep range of 8 - 12 is usually best as it will help you learn the movements. As you get more comfortable with weight lifting, try mixing it up and dropping down to 3 - 6 reps and going even heavier. This lower rep range will help you build more strength as well.

The general rule for what weight to use is pretty simple. Start light and focus on form. Once you have the form down, you want to be at a weight that makes the last few reps very difficult (but can still be done with good form). Once you’re doing the full planned rep range at a given weight (with good form), up the weight by 2 1/2 to 5 lbs depending on the exercise.

Early on, I’d stick to compound movements. These are good to get a full body workout and focus on the bigger muscles (more benefit for less time). Avoid isolation work as you don’t really need it as a beginner unless you’re trying to fix a muscle imbalance (not size, but strength).

Enjoy!
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,838 Member
    Options
    Low reps & heavy is for strength, with size as a by-product. If your goal is size, up the reps slightly, but diet becomes an even greater factor towards success.