Sweet tooth problems

Options
what are some good healthy snacks or low cal desserts for those of us who find the obvious choice of fruit to be delicious but still have the urge for chocolate, pie, ice cream, cookies, etc!! Help.

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    A lot of this will depend on how low-cal you prefer your desserts.

Ice cream (I tend to go for the prepackaged bars or the Skinny Cow sandwiches)
    Fudge pops
    Greek yogurt (add fruit, nuts, granola, chocolate powder, chocolate chips, peanut butter, etc. if you want)
    Jello pudding packs
    Sherbert or frozen fruit bars
  • alyssagomez75
    alyssagomez75 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I struggle with having a sweet tooth as well in fact it's probably my #1 set back. Just recently while watching obesetobeast on YouTube, (do check him out if you get the chance, his channel is both helpful & inspiring!) John shared a healthy snack that has helped me take the edge off of my sweet cravings.

Sugar free strawberry jello + danon light & fit yogurt + your Choice of fresh fruit(s) + granola or low calorie cereal

Personally i like to add strawberries & bananas with some granola ♡ it's quite sweet, not too high in calories & very filling as the jello adds to the density without adding too much calories. Definitely give it a try, & let me know what you think! :smile:
  • kate_19o
    kate_19o Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Total 0% Greek yoghurt and strawberries are my go to when I need something sweet! Sometimes with honey if I can squeeze it into my calories). Chocolate wise, I either let myself have a small square or I have a lower calorie chocolate cereal bar, but these can be quite high in sugar
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Honestly, when I crave something sweet, but don't have enough calories I go with diet coke (yes, I know it's really unhealthy), sugar sweet gums, yogurt or banana.
  • dearmrsowl
    dearmrsowl Posts: 151 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Go for banana ice cream. You can add any other fruit or even cocoa powder to get amazing flavors and it usually has the creaminess of regular ice cream.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Honestly, when I crave something sweet, but don't have enough calories I go with diet coke (yes, I know it's really unhealthy), sugar sweet gums, yogurt or banana.

Diet coke isn't unhealthy. More fearmongering :)

If you like it, and diet is zero calories anyway, drink it !

• floridagirl7264
    floridagirl7264 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    First decide on what exactly you're craving. Sometimes it's a texture. For me sometimes I want something cold and wet. I have those frozen fruit bars and will eat one of them, Or I can have some frozen strawberries or grapes. If it's something like cookies, I'll have a Kashi bar. They're really good and come in different a lot of different types. Chocolate is ALWAYS my down fall. I haven't found anything that really stops that craving. The only thing that helps me are frozen fudge bars. They don't help with the consistency of chocolate. But, like chocolate, they do melt in your mouth so it's close to the texture.
  • dwarfiegodsmack
    dwarfiegodsmack Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I fit a bowl of ice cream in everyday and it has chocolate chunks in it. win win :tongue:
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    dearmrsowl wrote: »
    Go for banana ice cream. You can add any other fruit or even cocoa powder to get amazing flavors and it usually has the creaminess of regular ice cream.

It's also more calories than many ice creams

OP, there's nothing wrong with fitting a small treat into your day in moderation. That's what I do. Look at individual chocolate pieces, Skinny Cow, or lower sugar ice creams by Breyers or Edys.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you don't go for something sugarless. All you're doing there is tricking your brain into thinking the sugar is on the way. When it doesn't actually get the sugar, the sweets cravings come back with a vengeance! Some things that work for me...
    Siggi's or Skyre plain Greek yogurt with 1 or 2 tablespoons of Better N' Peanut Butter (Low Sodium)
    (Also mix in nuts, a dash of cinnamon, a packet of Truvia, a splash of honey or vanilla)
    Enlighten ice cream bar (chocolate / peanut butter / coffee). Yes... it's an ice cream that's actually good for you :smile: the chocolate is yummy... thick, creamy, yum!
    A cup of tea (anykind), with a simple cream/sweetner in it sometimes does the trick.
    Simply Light Dark Chocolate plain or with almonds. (No sugar added and carb friendly)
    Carob covered rice cakes
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing I find is I have 26 sweet teeth. So I indulge all 26 with a little bit of choc every day in my calorie allowance lol
  • CockneyLady2014
    CockneyLady2014 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I go for a bowl of sugar free jelly.
  • CSlupe11
    CSlupe11 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I see greek yogurt is on here a few times. Definitely a GREAT option. Sugar free gum, a spoonful of peanut butter (this isn't always low cal), regular yogurt (although it has a high carb/sugar content compared to greek), a cup of strawberries or any other berry.

Also if you don't give into your sweet tooth, the urge will lessen within a few days. I know I know....easier said than done. ;) I fight a sweet tooth as well.
  • Lexicpt
    Lexicpt Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I eat 4 Hershey kisses when I want chocolate. 89 calories and takes care of my sweet tooth.
  • shannonstube
    shannonstube Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have been buying ice cream treats in their mini versions.
    Blue Bunny mini swirl cones - 140 calories
    Mini Drumsticks - 130 calories (I think)
    Snack size Snickers ice cream bars - 90 calories
    Blue Bunny Orange Dream bars - 70 calories.

Sometimes I buy Edy's Slow Churned, or really any regular ice cream, as it's not that bad if you eat one serving. But I have a harder time with portion control with that, so I tend to stick to the cones/bars since they are pre-portioned.

And I've recently gotten hooked on Chobani Flips. The Almond Coco Loco is so good, it tastes like a dessert. The calories are a little higher (240) but it also has 12g of protein.
  • EscamillaMom
    EscamillaMom Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I like the 80cal raspberry dark chocolate ice cream bars that are at most grocery stores, the 100cal Keebler snack packs, and hersheys dark chocolate kisses are 40cal each.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Eat the sweet! I buy the richest, most decadent products on the market as they are more fulfilling. I just think of the added sweets as fuel for the next workout.