My skipping rope...

Options
I know this should probably be in Fitness and Exercise but I feel more at home here.

I found my skipping rope out on Monday. I managed to skip 2 minutes. 2 lousy minutes without stopping.

How on earth did I use to skip for hours as a kid. Same with hula hoops. I used to swing one round my neck at the same time as my stomach. Now I can't even do a full rotation without it falling to the floor.

Are children robots? Discuss...

Replies

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I think that's the only plausible explanation.
  • Lexicpt
    Lexicpt Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I don't know, but now I'm going to buy a jump rope after work. Haha!
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. And those skip it things. I don't think my sports bra would cope with skipping for extended periods of time.
  • Shanairah1991
    Shanairah1991 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I skip rope all the time at work! I can Usually get 10 minutes straight but I do work with children so That's pushing it lol. It's like anything really, the more you do it the longer you'll be able to go. :)
  • chantelp0508
    chantelp0508 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    My robot must be faulty because she can't jump rope or hula hoop for nothing
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    aimeerace wrote: »
    I know this should probably be in Fitness and Exercise but I feel more at home here.

I found my skipping rope out on Monday. I managed to skip 2 minutes. 2 lousy minutes without stopping.

How on earth did I use to skip for hours as a kid. Same with hula hoops. I used to swing one round my neck at the same time as my stomach. Now I can't even do a full rotation without it falling to the floor.

Love this post. I started skipping again last week. Managed 200 skips - when I was a kid I'd crank out 10x that number without even thinking about it.

This is what happens when we allow our activity levels to drop...!

The good news is you *can* get it back - it's just going to some work, before it stops feeling like work. :drinker:
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way! What the heck happened? I used to be able to FLY along on my bike at well over 25kmph (mountain bike) but now I struggle to maintain anything above 10kmph.

Don't get me started on tackling rough terrain or having the balls to ride along cliff edges or narrowly missing trees.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    there's a kid on my block that gets out on a pogo stick. it takes me 40 seconds to sprint from one end of the street to the other, and here's this kid, "boing boing boing"ing along, maybe moving 6 inches with each hop... all the way down and back. I get exhausted watching him. it must be that sugar stuff they give kids, these days. ;)
  • amyj514
    amyj514 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I think my 21 month old twins are robots. They go nonstop like little energizer bunnies. They crawl, run, climb anything and everything, feet first, face first, and if they fall they get up and do it again. I swear it's like they never tire or stop! The places they manage to pull their bodies up to is unbelievable!
  • jackiesagoddess
    jackiesagoddess Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I won the jump rope exercise, school-wide, in 3rd grade. Got a little clay medal in the school Olympics. I just picked up a rope 2 days ago and couldn't make it a minute without screwing up! Lord knows how long my stamina would even endure if I could manage my wrists and ankles. Third grade me would be so disappointed in what I've become. What have I made of my life???
  • lsplace
    lsplace Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Jumping rope is one of the best cardio exercises you can do. Keep building up everyday. Add more minutes each week. It will yield some amazing results.
  • RedArizona5
    RedArizona5 Posts: 465 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I could skip rope all day still, I won a second place ribbon for longest skipper in our field day competition in grades school for rope jumping. I think it was the most jumps in the second longest time which i forget how long. the competitions weren't that long but anyways.
    I live in an apartment and have for the last about 10 years or so and would love to again but now with a not so healthy back I have to refrain and continue with a plan of fitness outside of anything that involves more impact on my spine than necessary. Sorry for veering* off topic a little.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I do the skipping rope without a rope and can barely last a minute. Need to work on that . . .
  • kitlynnJ
    kitlynnJ Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    aimeerace wrote: »

Kids hula hoops are much harder for adults to use. If you want to Hula Hoop I recommend making your own. It is really easy and depending on where you live can be really cheap. http://www.hulahooping.com/how-to-make-hoops.html

Can you tell I like hooping :)
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Fab stuff! Glad I'm not the only one who's a tiny bit useless now I'm an adult. I'm hoping I can build up as I love skipping and can see it as an exercise I don't mind doing! I'm spurred on to do better now ha ha!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I could skip rope all day still, I won a second place ribbon for longest skipper in our field day competition in grades school for rope jumping. I think it was the most jumps in the second longest time which i forget how long. the competitions weren't that long but anyways.
    I live in an apartment and have for the last about 10 years or so and would love to again but now with a not so healthy back I have to refrain and continue with a plan of fitness outside of anything that involves more impact on my spine than necessary. Sorry for veering* off topic a little.

I feel like I've read this exact same post before...
  • Sweetiepiestef
    Sweetiepiestef Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    My robot must be faulty because she can't jump rope or hula hoop for nothing

LOL!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I've been jumping rope again, and it actually came back pretty quickly after the first couple of tries. I keep meaning to do it every morning, but am not consistent.

On the other hand, I won a hula hooping contest at age 7, and was good at it through college, at least (um, didn't actually do it at college parties or anything, but I'd try it out when visiting my parents--they for some reason had a larger one), but at some point lost my knack.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I need to get a rope skipping rope if I carry on with it. I've got a plastic one at the moment that I got from WW about 4 years ago and it flipping hurts if it catches your legs. WOWZERS.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The thing that I let die that frustrates me the most is balance. I had fabulous balance into my pre teen years--could do cartwheels on the balance beam and all sorts of one-footed things, and now my balance is horrible. It's better than when I was way overweight and is coming back slightly as I'm working on it (plus, working on balance is the one thing that makes putting on hose or tights remotely redeemable as something to do, as you can turn it into a challenge), but SO, SO slowly.