Phentermine support

Options
Anyone here taking phentermine?
If so please feel free to share your experience and success. How long you've been taking it and how much weight lost? Any tips for maximum weight loss? Nutritional tips? Workout tips?

Replies

• BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I hope not. Side Effects:
    Chest pain
    decreased ability to exercise
    dizziness
    fainting
    fast, irregular, pounding, or racing heartbeat or pulse
    headache
    numbness or tingling in the arms or legs
    swelling of the feet or lower legs
    trembling or shaking of the legs, arms, hands, or feet
    trouble breathing
    trouble with thinking, speaking, or walking
    weakness
    Decreased interest in sexual intercourse
    difficulty having a bowel movement (stool)
    dry mouth
    false or unusual sense of well-being
    hives or welts
    inability to have or keep an erection
    increased in sexual ability, desire, drive, or performance
    increased interest in sexual intercourse
    itching
    loss in sexual ability, desire, drive, or performance
    redness of the skin
    skin rash
    unpleasant taste
    Seeing, hearing, or feeling things that are not there
    severe mental changes

Eat less move more. It works.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    What is phentermine?
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'll be blunt and warn you that you wont see a lot of love for phentermine on the forums here.

There have been lots of previous posts in the forums about phentermine previously; I would maybe do a forum search to see what other people's results and opinions of it are.

Any tips for maximum weight loss, nutrition & exercise are the same as if you weren't on it. Eat less, move more.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    psych101 wrote: »
    What is phentermine?

Phentermine is a prescription-only pharmaceutical geared towards weight loss by suppressing appetite and increasing metabolism & energy levels. It has similar chemical properties to amphetamines.
  • justfenix
    justfenix Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It's a nice jump start but if it's the main tool in your arsenal, you are going to end up back where you started when you come off it.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Don't.

Be healthy.

Eat at a deficit and move.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    4yd9fkqrdxux.jpg

Isn't one of the other side effects death?
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    4yd9fkqrdxux.jpg

Isn't one of the other side effects death?

Well that's one way to lose weight I suppose.
  • nanabear1379
    nanabear1379 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    OK. Obviously everyone says it is the devil. But I used it to lose my weight and along with support from my husband have lost 66 lbs. and am finally at my goal after three years. I did not take phentermine the entire time. Only in the beginning and again this past year to jump start when I was stalled. But I consider it a tool, and will continue to use it whenever I feel I need it. Yes, I agree with everyone here that learning to eat right is the best way to lose. But I knew that I could not do it on my own. I now can, it has become my lifestyle. And this app has been so helpful in keeping me on track too. Writing it down makes a difference. There CAN be side affects. For most of the time I only took 1/2 tab and it worked fine to control my cravings. BUT you have to be ready to commit to the weight loss or they are right, it will come back when you stop. I KNOW I will never go back. I am done fighting that evil!!!!! Good luck!
  • floridagirl7264
    floridagirl7264 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    This is a serious medication to take. Not that any medication isn't serious, but this is like speed. Doctors weigh the benefit of a drug versus the side effects. I'm on a drug that has some serious side effects the worst is significant weight gain. However, despite the side effects I'm experiencing, I'm getting so much benefit from the drug that I'm staying on it and will battle the weight gain. Try phentermine. See how it makes you feel. If the benefits outweigh the side effects, you'll have your answer.

I don't know if anyone remembers but in the 90's there was a drug combo called fenphen which was pulled from the market because it was dangerous med to take. I remember I was working for a man that was taking it. I ended up quitting on the spot because of his explosive anger. Phentermine is one of the drugs in fenphen.
  • jainasolo2001
    jainasolo2001 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been taking Phentermine for about 7 months and right now I am down 110 lbs. Is it a miracle- no. Does it help- yes. I still have to do the work.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I took phentermine for months and didn't change my lifestyle or my eating habits and I didn't loose a pound. I changed my eating habbits and my lifestyle without phentermine and I lost 60lbs...Either way you have to do the work
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I have been taking Phentermine for about 7 months and right now I am down 110 lbs. Is it a miracle- no. Does it help- yes. I still have to do the work.

Wait.

Did you just say you have lost 110 lbs in 7 months?

That's over 15 lbs per month.

4 lbs per week!

I seriously hoping you have doctor supervision and I suggest you suggest having doctor supervision because if not, that's just blatantly stupid.
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Please do not believe anyone who tells you that you need a drug to "jump start" you efforts to loss weight. You have to do the hard work anyway as even the folks that have used this drug have mentioned. Just because a few folks didn't have bad side effects isn't a good reason to start something that clinical studies show have adverse effects for the majority (game of russian routette perhaps?). If you need a motivator (who doesn't) to get started try a low calorie cooking class, new dance class or other healthy option. This is a journey to a thinner healthier you, no?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Does it work? Of course it works, you're practically taking prescription METH.

Is it sustainable? No.
    Does it teach you to eat properly? No.
    Does it teach you to maintain your loss? No.
    Does it provide the knowledge needed to maintain your new weight? No.
    Does it help you count calories and learn about nutrition? No.

But on the plus side, you'll be really productive at work and forget about eating.... so... atleast you've got that going for you, which is nice.
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options

Wait.

Did you just say you have lost 110 lbs in 7 months?

That's over 15 lbs per month.

4 lbs per week!

I seriously hoping you have doctor supervision and I suggest you suggest having doctor supervision because if not, that's just blatantly stupid.

I believe you cannot get this without a prescription form an MD anyway, I wouldn't know cause I have never used it nor been inclined to use it.

And if the poster has a significant amount of weight to lose I don't think it's that far fetched that she could lose 4 lbs per week. But I am not a professional so I don't really know for sure.

Anyway I do agree that no matter what an MD should be supervising regardless because you are right not having supervision by an MD is stupid.

• shamcd
    shamcd Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I took phentermine a couple of times about 10 years ago, I HATED it. I was jacked up all the time, sweaty, heart raced constantly, and felt sick the entire time on it. The appetite suppression it provided paled in comparison to the side effects, I couldn't handle it for more than two weeks at a time. As soon as I went off of it, the weight returned. I was miserable.
  • Dave55412
    Dave55412 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Eating more protein, drinking more water and being more active will suppress an appetite better than any pill.
  • Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I am currently taking phentermine. My doctor prescribed it to me for 2 months. I had a BMI over 40 and I was told I had hepatic stenosis or "fatty liver".

I did notice that in the beginning (the first week) I felt like I was on speed. My heart would pound and I was running around like a crazy person. I also had trouble sleeping the first 3 nights. My doctor warned me that this would happen, but wear off. And it did after about a week. I am on my 4th week taking it, and I have little to no side effects, in fact I have a perfectly normal appetite. I eat 3-4 times a day, exercise 6 days a week. This pill is not a miracle pill by any means. I feel like it helped me get through the beginning phase where I reduced my calories and cut out all the crap food. I know myself enough, that in the beginning if I stumbled or didn't lose weight, I would have acted like a toddler and through a fit and then binged. I know that despicable fact about myself. Now that I am past that phase and I am adapted to eating healthier foods and surprisingly like them, I have reduced the phentermine to every other day and then within the next 2 weeks I will stop taking them.

I think the pills have gotten a bad rap, much like pit-bulls have. People have abused them and horrible things have happened and now everyone thinks they are evil. This drug isn't meant to be on more than 6 months and it is not to be your way of losing weight by any means. I guess I used it as a way to flush my system of all the crap food I felt I wanted at all times.

People will say that phentermine is hard on your body. It might be, but obesity was hard on mine. Phentermine did not hurt me in anyway because I use it properly and I have changed my lifestyle.

Good luck!
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I took it for awhile a few years ago. It jump started me. I lost about 40 lbs while on it. I was super productive and focused at work (I am ADHD, so stimulants have a pretty positive effect on me). You still have to do the work of counting calories and exercising - it just helps keeping hunger at bay until you adjust to eating far fewer calories. Additionally, I saw my doctor weekly for blood pressure checks - the main reason I stopped taking it - it was just inconvenient. Not a cure all, I hope it works for you. Most people, when they stop taking it, if they haven't changed their habits will gain weight back. For those who do maintain the habits, it's not unusual for about a 5 lb rebound gain before you start losing again. Definitely not a silver bullet, but if you approach it as a tool and not a cure, you could have good results.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!