What is the best bread to eat?

Options
i always choose Nature's Own whole wheat because it has no HFCS. But I've recently read to avoid whole wheat. Was wondering your thoughts on a better choice.

Replies

• jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    there isnt a better choice per say. unless your gluten intolerant or ur dr told u to avoid bread.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Honestly it's whatever is in front of me. I <3 bread.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I just look for the protein and fiber counts (bang for my calorie buck). There's something wrong with whole wheat now? Seriously...the stuff that's "bad for you" changes every week, almost.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Why were you told to avoid whole wheat?

Unless you have an allergy or intolerance, whole wheat is fine. The best bread to eat is the one that tastes good to you and fits within your goals.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I like Dave's Killer Bread...

I also make my own sourdough...
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    I <3 bread too.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    All of it. My favourites these days:
    • Crusty sourdough buns with chili and soups
    • Pumpernickel, well, any time
    • Naan bread when there's sauce to sop up
  • dorkyfaery
    dorkyfaery Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Whichever bread you like that allows you to feel full and stay within your calorie goals. If we changed what we ate everytime a study got released or someone told us something was bad for us we'd eat nothing at all.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    I just look for the protein and fiber counts (bang for my calorie buck). There's something wrong with whole wheat now? Seriously...the stuff that's "bad for you" changes every week, almost.

I think it has to do with supply and demand. "oh, no! we have too much of THIS, so let's tell people that THAT is bad for them, so they'll buy more of THIS." ...economics conspiracy theory #1. ;)

ETA: I base my bread-choice on the amount of calories:protein/fiber, too.
  • burd0002
    burd0002 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just from a taste point of view I reckon 100% rye light sourdough is my favourite. Not great for weight loss as it tastes too good
  • Bugsgettingfit
    Bugsgettingfit Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE Ezekial Bread! It is 80 calories a slice, and made from whole ingredients. You can find it in the refrigerated whole foods section at grocery stores.
  • Rhaynestorm
    Rhaynestorm Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Some breads can have slightly more nutrients than other breads but I don't think it really matters too much in the long run. Bread is bread.

I love sourdough and I usually eat that if I can.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    This *kitten* is my mofuckin jam right here

Dark%20Rye.JPG
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I also like Dave's Killer Bread. I used to get the smaller loaves that are like 60 calories a slice, both to stay within my goal and because I live alone & can't usually eat a normal sized loaf before it goes bad. But, that stuff is expensive so I've been buying the Sara Lee "Delightful" 45 calorie bread. I'm not picky about bread & pretty much just go for what tastes good, fits in my calories, & isn't pricey.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Seriously, in the context of a calorie-counting diet, I expect my bread to be about 100-150 calories a slice. It's really the rest of the meal that makes it sing.
    • Bread and peanut butter
    • Bun and chili
    • Naan and curry chicken with salad greens on the side
    • Dark rye with cream cheese and bell pepper
  • bellstalker
    bellstalker Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Silverhills Bakery - Squirrelly Bread, recommended by dietition or for low potassium diets The Big Little Bread by Silverhills as well.
  • anjeden
    anjeden Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Ezekiel! Sprouted grains lower the glycemic index of the product. The taste is something to get used to--it is also $$$$
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

I :heart: bread too! Loving the bread love. For eating on a regular basis, I buy the stuff with most protein/fibre per calories as well. Some of the new high-fibre breads, like the Country Harvest one, is 8g fibre and 5g protein for a 100 calorie slice. To me, that’s gold. I really don’t care about anything else. Sometimes I’ll eat a nice white baguette too, because it be delicious. And I do love me a good dark rye sandwich.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Seriously, in the context of a calorie-counting diet, I expect my bread to be about 100-150 calories a slice. It's really the rest of the meal that makes it sing.
    • Bread and peanut butter
    • Bun and chili
    • Naan and curry chicken with salad greens on the side
    • Dark rye with cream cheese and bell pepper

mmmmm. Naan!
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I try to stick to whole grain. The grain doesn't have to be wheat though.