College Weight Loss

Options
I'm a junior in college (almost a senior) and since my high school graduation I have gained 36 pounds (142-178). I feel horrible about myself and I go in phases where I work out a bunch and then I don't for months on end. It's hard to find time between my studies and all my extracurriculars that I have responsibilities to. I walk everywhere, as my campus is huge, but the weight just wont come off. I am guilty of takeout at 11pm sometimes and I just turned 21 in February, so I've been frequenting the bar scene quite often. I already know that that needs to stop in order to lose weight.

I want to be back down to 145 by August, and I'm hoping someone who has lost weight in college can give me tips?

Also, if I am out at the bar, what are some drinks that won't ruin my progress?

Replies

• gemgemz999
    gemgemz999 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey Kate! I graduated two years ago and I'm still trying to loose my university weight...I gained about 16 pounds. Don't feel horrible about yourself! So many of my friends are going through the same thing...I think its just part of life. (Although I know there are girls out there who didn't gain a single pound - how the hell did they pull that off?) I have went through similar instances where I've worked out loads and been good and then put the weight all back on. However recently somethings happened where I actually look forward to being active, but I have been trying to do little things every day and big workout 3 times a week and I also try to be soooo good all week and then I feel I deserve a treat a the weekend. I don't even weigh myself anymore and it takes the pressure off - now that I'm more focused on getting my fitness back I feel so much better. I use MFP for calorie counting really. I drink Gin and Tonic!! Good luck. x
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Don’t beat yourself up, it’s so easy for that to happen when you’ve got a busy schedule and are in a new setting. @gemgemz999: you wonder how some girls didn’t gain weight. I, for one, was so paranoid about gaining weight that I decided to start running in first year, and was careful about my food intake. Throughout my undergrad, I actually lost 40 pounds (I was at about 180lbs to start). It wasn’t by accident, though, it was by design: I counted my calories on MFP for a good part of that time.

What I would suggest is using MFP to track your food intake. Eating takeout and fast food is totally fine, as long as it fits your goals, i.e. is within your daily calorie limit and you’re getting enough protein/fibre/fats. I do find that’s harder to do, especially when you can’t cook your own food (I lived in residence for 2 years), but you can still do it! Try making more filling choices on a regular basis (e.g. lean proteins and veggies) and maybe build your own meals out of no-cook items like canned tuna. Most people agree that weight loss happens in the kitchen: it’s much easier to maintain a caloric deficit through eating less than exercising more (though working out is obviously still awesome and important for your health). I would recommend you use a food scale to make sure your food tracking is accurate, but that’s probably not practical. I just hope the food vendors on campus have nutritional information you can use.

As for drinks, I’m not a fan personally, but rum and diet coke are slightly lighter (though keep in mind an oz of rum is about 68 cals). White wine spritzers are another option. I myself like dry martinis and scotch. At the end of the day, I would just budget for some alcohol calories if it’s important enough to you. If not, club soda and lemon is a good non-alcoholic bar beverage: most people won’t know there’s no gin/vodka in there, and it’s got no calories :smile: . That way you can still be social.

Edit: I believe what we Canadians call club soda is what you know as seltzer water lol.
  • puckit61
    puckit61 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I lost all my weight while I was in college (currently 55 ish pounds.) At first it was while doing community college and then I was a residential student, and now I'm a senior as a commuter. I'll tell you it at many ups and downs and even last semester I gained about 20 pounds alone. I'm not sure what the situation is for you( whether you have to have a meal plan or whether you make your own meals,) but as one of the previous posters mentioned, learn to track everything. It may start off by just guestimates of quantities but at least you are taking notice of what you are putting in your body. It also helps to create some self discipline of just what your are eating and allows you to take notice that even if you can have only so many calories, is what you want to eat actually worth it.

I can't relate to the working out part as I am fairly lazy but I usually start running once the weather gets warmer and I'm out of classes for the summer. As you said you walk a decent amount so if I were in your shoes I would just focus on food for now. I know for me if I have to "fix" at once, plus school work, I loose motivation and eat my feelings. lol. Start somewhere and once you get a routine and accustomed then work on a different area. Baby steps.

I don't drink so I can't help you there, but if you have any questions feel free to ask. Good luck, you can do this!