Walk Away The Pounds

Options
Walk Away the Pounds? Is it a good program to start out with for someone who hasn't really exercised for 6 years(Since High School)? I want to get into running but I think I should start out slow. What are y'alls thoughts?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I have it. I use it mostly as a supplement when it's too cold or rainy to walk outside. It gets the job done for me.
  • hnm921
    hnm921 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I enjoy Leslie Sansone workouts and would say it's absolutely a good starting point. It's very easy to follow, so I put it on mute and plug in my earbuds and walk away.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Fat loss comes from what and how much you eat. You can’t exercise away bad eating. So, get that in check.

Exercise should be focused toward other fitness goals (strength, endurance, cardio, etc.). If running is something that interests you, then yes, walking is an excellent first step toward building a cardiovascular and endurance fitness base.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    hnm921 wrote: »
    I enjoy Leslie Sansone workouts and would say it's absolutely a good starting point. It's very easy to follow, so I put it on mute and plug in my earbuds and walk away.

This^

I like that I can use my own music when I want to. Good starter DVD (but you can bump it up easily when you need to higher knees, bigger arms). Great until you are ready to move on.

For Leslie with jogging sections look for Walk Away The Pounds Walk & Jog, Walk at Home The Big Burn or 5K with a Twist. Anything with a timer is great for adding your own jogging sections.

Jessica Smith has some great videos on YouTube also....
    www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jessica+smith+tv+walking
    Walk & Jog by Jessica: www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUki7XMG0iA
  • JeannieCarlson
    JeannieCarlson Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    This is a great program and works! I remember at first I could hardly get through the one mile walk...and then a year later I was doing 5 miles and looking forward to it. Have fun.
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    I am 64 years old and do the Leslie Sansone 5 mile walk. This exercise has improved my lung capacity, my staying power and the standing crunchies have flattened my stomache and improved my muscles in my stomache. I do the 5 mile walk with the 2 minute jog at the end of each mile and this has certainly helped my fitness. So, I would say go for it. I love Leslie and her DVD's. You can get a variety of her workouts on youtube for free too.
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    WATP is great.
    i actually love Jillian Michaels 30 day shred level 1. you can search youtube for it. its a great full body 30 min workout.
  • fitfairy91
    fitfairy91 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Fat loss comes from what and how much you eat. You can’t exercise away bad eating. So, get that in check.

Exercise should be focused toward other fitness goals (strength, endurance, cardio, etc.). If running is something that interests you, then yes, walking is an excellent first step toward building a cardiovascular and endurance fitness base.

I never said anything about bad eating. I have been changing my eating habits just if this was a good program to start me off and work my way up to running is all :)
  • fitfairy91
    Options
    beamer0821 wrote: »
    WATP is great.
    i actually love Jillian Michaels 30 day shred level 1. you can search youtube for it. its a great full body 30 min workout.

I'll have to look into that. I heard of it just never looked it up. Thank you for the suggestion. I'm looking around for exercises I might like try and mix up a bit ya know lol
  • fitfairy91
    edited April 2015
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

This^

I like that I can use my own music when I want to. Good starter DVD (but you can bump it up easily when you need to higher knees, bigger arms). Great until you are ready to move on.

For Leslie with jogging sections look for Walk Away The Pounds Walk & Jog, Walk at Home The Big Burn or 5K with a Twist. Anything with a timer is great for adding your own jogging sections.

Yea I heard the music on the Walk Away the Pounds vids gets annoying and also her voice gets annoying. I don't mind putting my headphones on at all lol. I will have to look up videos from Jessica Smith. Thank you for the suggestion. :) Ive been looking around for things I might like to try.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    If you move more than you eat...you will lose weight. and yes moving can have everything to do with losing weight. i get so cracked up by the strange things people say. lol
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    fitfairy91 wrote: »
    TeaBea wrote: »

This^

Yea I heard the music on the Walk Away the Pounds vids gets annoying and also her voice gets annoying. I don't mind putting my headphones on at all lol. I will have to look up videos from Jessica Smith. Thank you for the suggestion. :) Ive been looking around for things I might like to try.

There are DVDs with music only options too....most of her new ones "Just Walk" have this option. http://www.collagevideo.com/collections/leslie-sansone. Kind of nice to switch things up. The WATP are older (used to be VHS) workouts....YouTube freebies.

Jessica Smith is great....so motivating. JM's 30 Day Shred is high impact...not such a good starter. Look for "Beginner Shred"
  • fitfairy91
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    If you move more than you eat...you will lose weight. and yes moving can have everything to do with losing weight. i get so cracked up by the strange things people say. lol

I never said anything about eating or losing weight lol. Yea i do need to lose weight I just need a starter to help me work up to jogging and running is all :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I think urloved was referring to Allens comment. ...
  • fitfairy91
    Options
    I think urloved was referring to Allens comment. ...

Oh okay I thought urloved was talking to me
  • fitfairy91
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »

I'm sorry thought you were talking to me. :)
  • usernameenvy
    usernameenvy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Im obsessed with these, ive got a few of her dvds that incorporate weights and strength training and theyre really good when i cant get out to jog or go to a gym ! after i got more into it i started jogging on the spot as she walks :wink:
  • p444cod41
    p444cod41 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have lost 4 stone 5 lbs in 8 months just by walking.it really helped me...I've joined a gym a month ago now to start toning up ..I do at least 10.000 steps a day plus the gym 3/4 times a week.
  • gibbsgirl76693
    gibbsgirl76693 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I did one of her Youtube videos a couple of weeks ago, and it was fun. The music gets anoying, but it was a decent workout and something different than the norm.