Recovering from spinal surgery - looking for new friends to motivate one another! :)

Options
Hello! I am recovering from an open heart thorocotomy after getting hit by a 7x drunk driver while on my way to the gym on a Saturday morning at 6:30am. I suffered 5 herniated discs in the thoracic region of my spine. The surgeon removed 6 vertebrae (the bones), 5 spinal discs and two full ribs. I lost the use of half of my right lung and suffered heart damage from having to paddle and shock my heart back to life three separate times during the 12-hour operation. The accident also dislocated my right hip and tore the labrum inside the joint. I was an avid outdoor athlete before getting hit and enjoyed mountaineering, rock climbing, kayaking, trail running, mtn biking, surfing, etc. All of which I can no longer do because of my spinal injuries. BUT, I believe the body and mind are amazing things. I truly believe I will be able to work my way back to some of these things I am passionate about. The surgery was 36 months ago - but I was in a rigid, full TLSO half body cast (shoulders to below hips) for 20 months - almost two years. I am still in a heavy duty brace with a sternum rod (which I wear 6-8 hours a day) and have 2 permanent 9" rods and 6 custom metal brackets (one for each vertebrae I lost) in my spine. Needless to say, going from trail running, working out, biking, etc 5-6 days a week to completely sedentary for 36 months has created a weight gain situation. I am 165 and my goal is 140lbs.

I am looking for new friends on here to keep up with and motivate, support and cheer one another, on etc. I am 49, female and live in western Colorado. Anyone game?

Thanks, Ellie

Replies

• yourradimradletshug
    yourradimradletshug Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I'll gladly be your friend! I am wishing you luck in your recovery and journey back to where you were. Feel free to add me!
  • Elliemphipps
    Elliemphipps Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yay! Thank you! Just sent you a request (I hope it did it right - I am pretty new at this). I appreciate your support and look forward to motivating one another. -Ellie
  • floridamatty
    floridamatty Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Add me Ellie, I love a challenge, I promise no WD40 jokes :)
  • adamgoleafs87
    adamgoleafs87 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I am recovering from back surgery as well although not nearly as much as you have had to go through!
  • SunflowerCat74
    SunflowerCat74 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Ellie - I'm sorry about the hell you've been through, but with the right mindset you'll work your way back and if not to your former activities...possibly new activities that you love as much. I'm a cancer survivor with my own challenges, but pushing through. I live in the 4 corners area, so not that far from you. Add me and I'll cheer you on!