Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Exercise

I've followed a low-carb diet since December. Initially, I lost 6 pounds but slowly started to regain them so I started to exercise. Now I am up an additional 3 pounds. What's up? Has anyone else had this happened?

Replies

• suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    It's easy to eat too many calories on something like low carb. And I think unless you are going hard core, you won't lose if you are consuming more calories than your body needs. Someone else might chime in with a much more scientific response! :smile: Tracking your calories and managing to that will help you lose more weight if you need to. Exercise for me is a bonus that tones, makes me stronger and can accelerate weight loss....depending what you do, it can also increase your appetite and make you eat more!
  • thamdn67
    thamdn67 Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks, Suruda for your support. I think that may be the case. I am hungry after I work-out. I also do a lot of data entry work, sitting at my desk all day, except when I exercise. I get bored and find myself snacking way too much! I believe the exercise is vital to toning and long-term success at maintaining my weight. Rather than low-carb, perhaps I should switch over to a Weight Watchers program for better success. On a side, I have breathing difficulties and my doctor just increased my steroid meds and they tend to make me more hungry as well.
  • CatHunterFit
    CatHunterFit Posts: 194 Member
    A lot of people gain weight when they start to exercise as your muscles retain water. But, if you say you are snacking more than usual, then it's likely you are gaining weight as you are no longer in a calorie deficiency.

Carbs are not the enemy! If you make sure you eat a balanced combination of protein, carbs and fat alongside some exercise, you will still lose weight.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    water retention as above , hormonal, natural flucctuation or you are eating back and overcompensating ot nothing to do with exercise and you arent at deficit because your logging is inaccurate.
  • thamdn67
    thamdn67 Posts: 4 Member
    true on both counts. RE-introducing carbs back into my diet has been a little tricky. Do not want to add too much; give my system a chance to recalibrate. My husband and I discussed eating too many calories on a low-carb diet and we agree that the calories do add UP. Diet and exercise tend to work well for me when I remember to stay focused and spend at least 30 minutes a day in the gym. Everything in moderation. Thanks for your input.