Benefits of Being an Early Bird in the gym.

Options
I've recently decided that I need to start going to the Gym in the morning. I always used to go in the evening after my girls had gone to sleep, but lately there's been so much to do I've not had enough time to make it.
I read this thing on the V8 website that said you can save time by going in the morning and I thought I'd give it a go.
I wake up at 5:00 for an hour gym session (which used to take an hour and a half) then get on with my day. Althout I have to go to bed a little earlier, I've had the time to get everything done and I even have some time to cuddle up with my husband in front of the TV before going up to bed.
It was a little tough to get into at first, but I feel much better now and it's easy for me to wake up in the morning.
I showed my girlfriend it so she's now in the gym in the morning with me too, but she's not quite gotten the hang of early mornings just yet :L. She did however enter their competition, so at the end of the month we're going to treat ourselves to a free relaxing spa day and a lay in.

Who else is in the gym first thing? Why do you do it?

Replies

• Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I go in the mornings. Had to train myself to. I wake up at 5:30am and I'm not a morning person. I hated getting home at 8:30pm when going after work. I've started lifting 6 days a week and like doing it in the morning bc there are less people to share the weights with.
    My energy level is great throughout the day. I'm no longer exhausted by 3pm. Working out after work was a bit challenging bc I was tired and not energetic after work.
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    On workdays I get up at 430 am, so I can have a quick coffee and then get to the gym by 5. The gym is so busy after work it makes me a little nuts and my routine takes longer waiting for others or working in. I figure it's worth an hour less sleep to only have to share the weight area with a couple other people that time of day. No waiting for the squat racks, plenty of benches, and lots of room on the mats for stretching. I also find I can lift better in the morning. When I go after work, I'm bagged from the work day and seem to be weaker. If I'm not working, I give myself a little break and get to the gym around 8am. It's a little busier, but not as crazy as late afternoon/early evening
  • Alex37166
    Alex37166 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    For me, I don't go to the gym as I have equipment at home. I do not like going to a gym as I feel a bit conscience of things around me (people staring, etc). Those factors seem to target in on my concentration being lost. Anyway, I always work out in the morning around 5 or 6 a.m. I eat an hour or so before and shower in the morning as well, so the time frame fits in with my schedule perfectly.
  • TheRoseRoss
    TheRoseRoss Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Same here. I tried going in the evenings after work, and chores were done, but the gym was either crowded by the 5pm after work crowd, or I was just too tired by the end of the day to really put in any real effort. I have to get up early, and go to bed earlier, but it's worth it. Far too lethargic during the 9pm workouts, and that's time that could have been spent with the family. For me, it's better to go early in the morning when the house is asleep. The few people that are there at 4am are also the type whose energy you can feed off of. Anyone there at 4am is there because they mean business.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    There are less people at the gym in the morning. woo hoo. there are no people doing nothing at the gym in the morning - sitting on machines - talking on their phone, texting, walking away from machines but not done, leaving their stuff everywhere.....this stuff just does not happen in the morning at the gym...no one gets out of bed early to go take up space anywhere..especially in the gym. I love the gym in the morning!
  • chriscolh
    chriscolh Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Yup, I'm a morning gym person, too. I love that it's not as crowded, but my main reason for doing it is because it works for me. At 5 am, there are no excuses. No kids needing help. Dishes and laundry can wait. All the things that keep me busy during the day don't start calling to me until I'm done. If I wait until later, I will make every excuse in the world to stay home, but those early hours are just for me. It makes me feel strong to get it done first thing in the morning. Yay us!
  • chamblisk
    chamblisk Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I have trained myself to be a morning person. When our HS added a new Fitness Center (which they share with the community for a nominal fee), I was just starting my journey into weight loss and fitness. I went at 5am because no one else was there and I didn't have to feel self-conscious about my abilities. Or lack thereof. A small group of us (3 or 4 usually) will lap swim in the pool at 6, 3 days a week. After the new year, when everyone's resolution was to lose weight, the mornings in the fitness room got a little crowded so I backed off to 6am on days that I don't swim. May have 1 or 2 others there ... but no waiting for anything! And I have improved enough so that I don't feel quite so self-conscious. The upside is jump-starting the day, getting the metabolism burning and actually being awake and alert when I start the work day. I don't miss any time with my family other than the madness of getting out the door in the morning. I have evenings free and if I want to throw in an extra walk with the dogs, I still have time before the sun goes down. Mornings are definitely the best for me. Only down-side is not having a trainer or experienced friend to teach me the best way to do things. I have struggled to figure it out on my own but, so far so good.
  • Boobietrap1337
    Boobietrap1337 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I show up to the gym on Tuesday and Thursday mornings at 7am to have the squat rack all to myself. Sunday afternoons around 1pm its also dead! I don't like sharing. :)
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I always go in the mornings and have conditioned my body to be ready for it. It's the best.
  • starbucktigh
    starbucktigh Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    For any of you living with someone else, how was this adjustment with your spouse or partner? My husband has such long commute he gets home late, so I don't want to ruin his last hour of sleep every morning, but I think I could benefit from morning workouts...
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:30 and I'm at the gym by a little bit before 6:00. I get to work out for about an hour before I have to shower and get ready for work. I do this Mon-Fri, and on Saturday I typically go a little later than that, but not much.
    I love going in the morning! No crowds, no waiting for machines, I have more energy and I'm always in a better mood after my workout.
    I tried going after work a few days a week and it just sucked. I don't like getting home late, and always felt like I was in a rush to get home so didn't really put my all into my workouts.
    I never in my life thought I'd be one of those people up before the crack of dawn, working out. But here I am!
    And I am the type of person who cherishes her sleep and does not want to wake up in the morning...