How are people burning so many cals?

Options

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    When I did nothing but long, heavy elliptical sessions, I could burn 600+ calories an hour. I also weighed more, so could burn more calories by the same movements. Eventually, I couldn't take the boredom. Now I do Stronglifts and c25k and I'm lucky to burn 400 calories in 90 mins. *shrug*
  • CallMeRuPaul
    CallMeRuPaul Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    i can't speak to other people, but i ran 20 miles on 4/10 and burned 1700 calories. on 4/18, i biked 22.1 miles and burned 994 calories and on 4/19, i ran 13.25 miles and burned 1394 calories. that's how i'm rolling these days!
  • Runnermadre
    Runnermadre Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Seems like there is a lot of negativity towards using an HRM to count calories burned, but I lost over 30 pounds over the course of 5 months using data from the HRM AND eating back those calories. So...
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Seems like there is a lot of negativity towards using an HRM to count calories burned, but I lost over 30 pounds over the course of 5 months using data from the HRM AND eating back those calories. So...

Some people accept the limitations of HRMs when it comes to caloric estimations. They are not calorie counters, period.

Anecdotes are not a substitute for science.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    It also depends on the HRM and the way it calculates exertion. Sunto, some Garmins and some Polars use HR variability and also keep track of your changing fitness levels. In my experience these seem to give believable and consistent calorie counts for running although they are a little lower than the numbers given by other methods.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

And lots of people are very negative towards the MFP estimates but I was successful using their numbers.

I'm not against HRMs. I get some people find them useful whether for calorie estimates or motivation or whatever. I do object to the constant message on this board that they are the most accurate way to estimate. New people are often told they need one. And far too many people blindly follow them.

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    I can easily burn over 1500 calories. If you don't think it is possible to burn that much, then you don't know exactly how it works. Of course it will never be exact, it is almost impossible to find the exact number.

But I am currently 225, and for a 3 hour hike, using MET with a 6 intensifier puts me at over 1800 calories burned.

1) a 3 hour hike is not what most people would call "easily" or can fit in their daily routine
    2) You are 100 lbs heavier than me. So, for me (and I suspect the OP) to burn this kind of calories, it would require almost running a marathon.

I only replied to this because there are many people saying that it is impossible to burn over 1000 calories. Have you seen the replies? People saying that logging 1000 calories burned is false, or some even saying people use it as an excuse to eat more food.

While I don't burn over 1000 on a regular basis, it DOES happen. Nobody is the same size, nobody exercises the same.

Mr_Knight wrote: »
    But I am currently 225, and for a 3 hour hike, using MET with a 6 intensifier puts me at over 1800 calories burned.

A hiking MET of 6 requires significant hills and/or carrying a meaningful load. You also need to subtract ~1 from the MET number, or you're double-counting your BMR burn.

It's certainly possible to do, though, for someone fit enough.

Even using a MET number of 3, I get a calorie burn of 960 for a 3 hour hike. I am not trying to brag or say anything other than that calorie burns over 1000 aren't impossible like many people are saying.

Aww jeeze not this 1000 calorie nonsense again...
  • JuliaHaleFitness
    JuliaHaleFitness Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    It's really difficult to count how many calories you are burning.
    1) Cardio machine calorie counters can be off by huge percentages. Specifically the ones that don't even ask for your personal stats.
    2) Everyone burns calories at a different pace.
    3) Steady state cardio kills calories while you are working out but stops as soon as your done. HIIT cardio creates an O2 deficit that kills calories during and after your workout. Strength training, like HIIT, kills fewer calories during the workout but uses calories like carzy to rebuild muscle.
    4) Muscle burns more calories than fat so the lower your body fat %...
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    grimmeanor wrote: »
    Here's some comparative data I received for the same 4 mile run route, averaging around 11:20 min/mile (some higher, some lower)

Just as an FYI manually entering your run via my profile in Garmin Connect -- 7km pace, 47 minutes (basically 4 miles covered) = 572 cals. I assume the GC site code is using my profile weight there (~91kg / 200 lbs) and 5' 8" height in the calculation, but it might be using other observed metrics too.

Other examples: Garmin reports my most recent 5:36/km 10k run as 900 calories; Strava using data fed to it from Garmin calls it 1056 calories. MFP calculates 56 minutes running 10.7kph as 932.

I'm quite ok with the Garmin estimate; to date I've assumed the difference between Garmin and Strava was Garmin doesn't include calories burned during the activity due to Basal Metabolic Rate but no doubt the algorithms they license are also a factor.

I don't really care about the differences reported by different tools other than preferring to use the more conservative estimates for calories burned from exercise, so I have set Garmin to feed MFP not Strava. In addition I don't eat back all exercise calories burned as I accept that my input tracking isn't always going to be spot on. If I feel fatigued I'll take in some extra fuel.

As for heart rate monitoring, I use it for training purposes and that's it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I can easily burn over 1500 calories. If you don't think it is possible to burn that much, then you don't know exactly how it works. Of course it will never be exact, it is almost impossible to find the exact number.

1) a 3 hour hike is not what most people would call "easily" or can fit in their daily routine
    2) You are 100 lbs heavier than me. So, for me (and I suspect the OP) to burn this kind of calories, it would require almost running a marathon.

I only replied to this because there are many people saying that it is impossible to burn over 1000 calories. Have you seen the replies? People saying that logging 1000 calories burned is false, or some even saying people use it as an excuse to eat more food.

While I don't burn over 1000 on a regular basis, it DOES happen. Nobody is the same size, nobody exercises the same.

A hiking MET of 6 requires significant hills and/or carrying a meaningful load. You also need to subtract ~1 from the MET number, or you're double-counting your BMR burn.

Even using a MET number of 3, I get a calorie burn of 960 for a 3 hour hike. I am not trying to brag or say anything other than that calorie burns over 1000 aren't impossible like many people are saying.

I don't think people are saying it's impossible...that would be stupid...obviously it's possible...but most people claiming to do this day in and day out are overestimating their burn. Most people simply aren't training like this day in and day out.

Even when I'm actively training for an event, I don't have burns over 1,000 every day or even most days...
  • glevinso
    Options
    juliah1234 wrote: »
    1) Cardio machine calorie counters can be off by huge percentages. Specifically the ones that don't even ask for your personal stats.
    3) Steady state cardio kills calories while you are working out but stops as soon as your done. HIIT cardio creates an O2 deficit that kills calories during and after your workout. Strength training, like HIIT, kills fewer calories during the workout but uses calories like carzy to rebuild muscle.

You were really good there for the first two... but then... you went WAY off the rails...
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I don't think people are saying it's impossible...that would be stupid...obviously it's possible...but most people claiming to do this day in and day out are overestimating their burn. Most people simply aren't training like this day in and day out.

Even when I'm actively training for an event, I don't have burns over 1,000 every day or even most days...

^This. This is what I understood from the OP and what I was also trying to reply. Of course it is possible, for anyone. But it seems kind of fishy when people are claiming to do this daily. Again it is possible to do this even daily, and I know I have done it in the past myself for extended periods of time. It is however something that makes sense only when logging shows that this person is spendign several hours per day doing physical activities, or has a very high weight. It looks physically impossible when people claim to have managed it at 150 lbs, by running for 40 minutes and then lifting for an extra hour.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »

Aww jeeze not this 1000 calorie nonsense again...
    Not really if you read the whole thread.

People can overestimate because of the method of calculation and overstimation of their own effort. Its quite achievable though just a case of putting in the duration and intensity of whatever you are doing as well as it favouring heavier people. Your not really going to be doing it in an hour, but 2-4 is more likely. Most people dont put that amount of effort in.
  • glevinso
    Options

Agreed.

I think our last 1000 calorie thread put this one to bed. I tried to squash it best I could myself. Someone wanting to burn 1000 calories a day in a misguided attempt to be able to eat more while losing weight is likely not in the kind of shape required to actually consistently burn 1000 calories a day.

This is something I do repeatedly, daily, weekly... I am training for an Ironman. I am not trying to lose weight. Unless someone is putting in the kind of training volume I am, 1000 calories a day is not likely.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Aaaaaand this is why I just don’t eat back exercise calories.

I agree with those saying that estimates will only be reliable if you’re using the right tool for a specific type of exercise. My burn estimate for a 5 mile run at 6.4mph is about 540 calories, but I believe that’s definitely overestimated. Not only that, burns vary significantly by a person’s weight. If I still weighed 180lbs, I’d have burned an estimated 880 calories (132lbs now) :smiley: . The way I see it, moving more is always going to be good. I focus more on tracking my calories in than my exercise calories out. I prefer that over dwelling on exercise burns.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    juliah1234 wrote: »

I am pretty sure the benefit from HIIT after the exercise is done, is something like 100 calories for the average person, probably less. I am too tired to look for links now, but it is really not doing what people would hope, if there main goal for HIIT is weight loss. And what most new initiates to exercise consider HIIT, usually is nothing like HIIT.
    I also remember researching this fat vs muscle fat burns and I think the difference was something like 2-3 calories per pound, so not really contributing much to make a difference.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The science supports his postion, not yours. The amount of net energy needed to move a person from point A to point B is primarly a function of mass and distance. You're trying to factor things in that are not part of the equation and that illustrate why HRMs are inaccurate for what you're trying to do. The range of activities for which a HRM can come close to an accurate estimation of caloric burn is relatively narrow and walking is not one of those activities that they do well.
    So, if I understand it, you are saying:
    If today
    • I move my 250 lbs 1.5 miles in 30 min requiring an average heart rate of 140.
    Six months from now
    • with an improved fitness level, I can strap on enough weight to equal 250 lbs and burn the same amount of calories going 1.5 miles in 30 min, even if my heart rate only averages 110 beats per minute.
    Do I understand you correctly?
    Can you point me toward an authority for this? I don't have an emotional investment in the answer. Just want to understand it.
  • eeelizabeth2012
    eeelizabeth2012 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    idk. I let Fitbit figure it out. But I walk 30 mins in the morning, 45-60 mins at lunch, 60 mins in the evening, and 20 mins pilates before bed. I spread it out because I cannot do too much at one time.
  • eeelizabeth2012
    eeelizabeth2012 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Also, if people are using Fitbits it will give a higher count because it counts all your steps and the intensity ALL DAY long based on your weight, height, etc.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that one should burn fewer calories per mile at a HR below their maximum aerobic threshold simply because fat provides more energy per gram burned than glycogen.

Most HR monitors have no way of taking this into account accurately.