Protein

I just started my weight training yesterday and today I'm pretty darn sore. Been limping around and just basically looking miserable. Anyway, my coworker asked what was wrong so I explained to her and she suggested taking protein within a half hour of working out. She claims it will help with muscle pain.

Is that true? Protein = less sore muscles after workout???

She mentioned protein powder? WHAT THE HECK?

Haha. I'm such a newb.

Anyway, anybody know anything about the benefits of protein?

Replies

• nickybr38
    nickybr38 Posts: 674 Member
    I just started my weight training yesterday and today I'm pretty darn sore. Been limping around and just basically looking miserable. Anyway, my coworker asked what was wrong so I explained to her and she suggested taking protein within a half hour of working out. She claims it will help with muscle pain.

Is that true? Protein = less sore muscles after workout???

She mentioned protein powder? WHAT THE HECK?

Haha. I'm such a newb.

Anyway, anybody know anything about the benefits of protein?
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    You don't specifically need protein powder. Whey protein is a form of protein that's broken down really quickly in the body, like the glucose of protein. But skim milk, chicken, eggs, anything with protein will work. It is important to take in some carbohydrates and protein within 30 min. post-workout. A bow of cereal with milk or low fat chocolate milk are excellent choices.
  • nickybr38
    OH DARN. That's what I've been doing and still in pain. I thought maybe I just needed more or something and BAM not as much discomfort! Haha. I guess no pain no gain. :grumble:
    Oh well!
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    i agree with the commenter above me. If you're a busy person, i always recommend boiling eggs and having enough for 2-3 days. Having 2 makes the perfect snack.
  • gsschulte
    gsschulte Posts: 79 Member
    For the soreness protein will not help. Doing the same exercise with little resistance or fewer reps will or a good streching routine will ease it. It will help move the lactic acid, that your muscles built up from working gycolene burn and protein exchange, out .

protein powder can help with the full recovery process as you need protein to help rebuild on the cellular level. Everyone uses Whey powder for extra protein. its made from milk solids and is pretty famous (miss muffet). basically its whats left after cheese and before ricotta cheese if you really want to know. but its water soluable and i get mine from walmart in the pharmacy section. when mixed with skim milk its just like a carnation instant breakfast but with out the ungodly amount of sugar for the same sweetness.
  • songbyrdsweet
    OH DARN. That's what I've been doing and still in pain. I thought maybe I just needed more or something and BAM not as much discomfort! Haha. I guess no pain no gain. :grumble:
    Oh well!

Well it won't stop it entirely. But it might help shorten the duration and intensity of the discomfort. Also remember to stretch, drink plenty of water, and move around even though it hurts. Increasing blood flow to the area will help pick out the little bits of tissue that have torn off.
  • songbyrdsweet
    For the soreness protein will not help. Doing the same exercise with little resistance or fewer reps will or a good streching routine. It will help move the lactic acid out.

protein powder can help with the full recovery process as you need protein to help rebuild on the cellular level. Everyone uses Whey powder for extra protein. its made from milk solids and is pretty famous (miss muffet). basically its whats left after cheese and before ricotta cheese if you really want to know. but its water soluable and i get mine from walmart in the pharmacy section. when mixed with skim milk its just like a carnation instant breakfast but with out the ungodly amount of sugar for the same sweetness.

Actually it's not the lactic acid that causes the soreness. Lactic acid is quickly processed and re-used. It doesn't hang out in the body for several days. The soreness is caused by microtears and inflammation; increased water in the cells causes swelling.

Haha I like the miss muffett reference! :laugh:
  • stephica
    stephica Posts: 164 Member
    Hey Darling, Have you been making sure you have been increasing your water intake before, during and after your workouts?

If you are looking for Whey Protein Powder I have been using the Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein, Chocolate powder. I mix it with a cup of milk, sometimes banana, sometimes a tbsp of peanut butter and blend it. It taste wonderful. I honestly was surprised how good it taste. It doesn't taste that bad with water. just make sure you get a good shaker cup.

I have also good things about Syntrax Nextar Fuzzy Navel. Apparently it tastes like Sunny D and has very little calories.

Good Luck!
  • nickybr38
    Thanks everyone!!! I appreciate all the advice. :happy: