Eating 1200 calories a day and famished

Options
I have been following MFP for 16 days now and down 4lbs. I currently weigh 150, female, 5 feet 9 inches. The last few days I have been waking to a growling stomach. some days I can not concentrate because I am so hungry. I eat 1200 cal a day and never go over. I exercise every day (4 days strength and cardio and 3 days cardio only). I never eat those calories I earn. I am thinking I may need to adjust my protein intake (increase it) and reduce the carbs. any suggestions or thoughts? thanks!!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm assuming you set your goal to 2 pounds a week? That will be too aggressive for you since you're in a healthy BMI range and therefore have little to lose. Change your goal to half a pound a week so you'll be able to eat more, and it is okay to eat a bit of your exercise calories if you're even hungrier.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I'd eat back some of your exercise calories when you feel like it. I'm similar to you (5'8) and was also assigned 1,200. Some days I'm fine with less, others no way.

Good luck!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    These are my really general tips for hunger:

1. Make sure that your calorie goals are actually set appropriately. Don't skip this step. A lot of people set goals that are too aggressive and then wonder why they're having a hard time. If you're using MFP's default goals, this includes eating at least a portion of your exercise calories. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

2. Look for foods higher in protein, fat, and fiber. These help us stay full and more satisfied longer. If you're using MFP's default settings, try to consider protein, fat, and fiber as minimums to reach every day rather than maximums to stay below.

3. Drink plenty of fluids. Some people really do confuse thirst and hunger.

4. Get plenty of rest. This includes sleeping enough and taking rest days from the exercise. Sometimes our bodies look for food when they're exhausted.

5. Play around with your meal timings. Some people do really well on 5-6 small meals a day and others feel like they want to gnaw their own arm off eating like that. Skipping breakfast, eating breakfast, 16:8 fasting, 6 small meals, 3 larger meals, snacks, no snacks, meal timing won't make a big difference to your weight loss, but it may help your hunger levels, mood, concentration, gym performance, etc. throughout the day. Don't be afraid to try a different way and see if it helps.

6. Wait it out. If you know you're eating enough and the other steps above aren't helping, you may just have to wait it out. Our bodies send out hunger signals partially out of habit. If you eat at a certain time every day your body will start to get hungry at that time. The good news is that these signals can be retrained to stop telling you to be hungry all the time. The bad news is that you may just have to be hungry for a little bit while that happens.

7. I also think it's important to remember that there's a habitual component to hunger. This goes along with point #6, but if you eat because you're bored or you're used to eating in front of the TV or in the car or whatever it is, then you can replace those habits with others that are better for you. Things like keeping water on hand to sip instead of snacking or picking up hobbies that keep your hands busy or that get you out of the house more can help out a little while you're retraining your hunger cues. You might need to pay attention to why you're eating/hungry or what you're feeling when you eat and try to replace food with other things, but it can be really beneficial over time.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    dordee666 wrote: »
    I have been following MFP for 16 days now and down 4lbs. I currently weigh 150, female, 5 feet 9 inches. The last few days I have been waking to a growling stomach. some days I can not concentrate because I am so hungry. I eat 1200 cal a day and never go over. I exercise every day (4 days strength and cardio and 3 days cardio only). I never eat those calories I earn. I am thinking I may need to adjust my protein intake (increase it) and reduce the carbs. any suggestions or thoughts? thanks!!

1200 is too low. You are exercising a lot, plus you are tall. You are already in the normal weight range which means either you really don't need to lose weight, or weight loss will be gradual and you'll only be able to have a small deficit comfortably. What are your goals?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    you're supposed to eat back exercise calories...that's how you account for that activity. also, 1200 is aggressive...you're at a healthy BMI...you shouldn't be that aggressive. I'd be famished too...you're eating like a sedentary 90 year old 5' nothing woman.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I agree, 1200 is too low. I am 5'9" and 151, and lose weight on 1750 NET (1900-2300 total) a day.

No wonder you're hungry. I'd gnaw off my own arm if I only got 1200 calories of food a day.
  • Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Eat more. So much more. I'm losing on 1550 and I'm like six inches shorter than you. I'm actually jealous thinking about how many calories I could eat and still lose if I was your height. 1200 is not sustainable for many, especially with all of the exercise you're doing.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'd starve to death on 1200 or murder someone. Eat more.
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and weigh 155. I'm trying to get down to 145. I have 1220 calories to spend a day. I exercise almost every day and I find myself eating almost every calorie back. I would be way too hungry otherwise. I lose steadily, not super fast, but I lose. Only hungry an hour or so before meals but I feel fine- plenty of energy.
  • Typhanie_walker
    Typhanie_walker Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Jgasmic wrote: »
    Eat more. So much more. I'm losing on 1550 and I'm like six inches shorter than you. I'm actually jealous thinking about how many calories I could eat and still lose if I was your height. 1200 is not sustainable for many, especially with all of the exercise you're doing.

• Jozzmenia
    Jozzmenia Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I've been having the opposite problem lately. I'm supposed to have 1800 calories right now and have trouble getting over 1200 without eating nonsense. i was aiming to eat 300 calories every 2-3 hours but most snacks end up being around but 170 calories and because i eat 6 times a day I'm not even hungry unless i workout for like 2 hours. I need to work on upping my calories each time i think
  • Looncove_Farm
    Looncove_Farm Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Id be on the floor at 1200. I do 1430 and im very active. Theres no way I could do 1200. I bet your hungry A LOT. I would definately be adjusting my intake or you may end up lightheaded and on the floor.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Set your weekly weight loss goal to 1/2 pound a week....then MFP will move off it's lowest default minimum...and you will get calories suited to your height and age.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Jozzmenia wrote: »
    I've been having the opposite problem lately. I'm supposed to have 1800 calories right now and have trouble getting over 1200 without eating nonsense. i was aiming to eat 300 calories every 2-3 hours but most snacks end up being around but 170 calories and because i eat 6 times a day I'm not even hungry unless i workout for like 2 hours. I need to work on upping my calories each time i think

Calorie dense foods........nuts, nut butters, avocado, olive oil, cheese, full fat (or at least not non-fat) dairy.
  • shaunte92
    shaunte92 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters on this one. I'm 5'10 but I'm heavier than you at around 165 right now. I don't eat back exercise calories either but I eat between 1500-1700 a day. 1200 is not enough for me. I would always be hungry & it would cause me to binge eat frequently.
  • theserafina
    theserafina Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree that you need to increase your protein and decrease your carbs. Carb calories can add up very quickly which can leave you hungry at most of your meals if you're staying below 1200. I do 40% protein, 25% carb, 35% fat, and I work out 6 days a week (mostly weight training), and eat the majority of my carbs after my workouts in the morning. I do get hungry between lunch and dinner but if it gets really bad I just eat a small snack in between. My goal is 1269 calories per day - though I do weigh less than you and am shorter. But I would suggest calculating your ideal calorie intake and carb/protein/fat percentage and entering those numbers into MFP, and try to stick to them. Try something like this: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Eat more
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Eat eat eat.
  • hndaman2001
    hndaman2001 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am a guy 45yrs old 5ft4 and weigh 140 with a slim build. Mfp wants me to eat 1500 calories a day but I gain weight eating that much. I don't exercise very much I chose sedentary for activity. I changed my goals to 1200 calories a day. Do you think this would be good or to less. I want to get back to 130. Thanks for any help.
  • lisafrancis888
    lisafrancis888 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm 48, 5'8 was 142 now down to 135. I'm on 1200 but eat all exercise calories back. These are usually through running and vary between 300-400. Exercising usually 5 times a week. If I didn't eat all calories back I would probably feel tired. I set to lose 1lb a week and so far it's been pretty accurate.