I don't know what to do at the gym

Options
I signed up at then gym I've only gone about 5 times in 2 months. When I go I don't know what machines to do or how long to use the treadmill for??? I feel lost. I'm trying to get fit and loose wt. I have gained a lot of weight.
Any advice on work outs or what machines to use. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Forget the machines and find a barbell. Do some research on the compound lifts and get to work, the book Starting Strength is a great place to start.

Rigger
  • habanks43
    habanks43 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have trouble with weight training due to bad knees and an injured shoulder. I have had the best luck on the elliptical machines which i will do for either 30 minutes or an hour depending on how busy the gym is. I alternate between that and the treadmill for 30-60 minutes. So far it has worked for me, and i have been able to up the resistance and incline on both as i get in better shape.
  • thestarsweare
    thestarsweare Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on joining the gym! A good place to start is by doing 30 minutes of cardio, 20 minutes of strength training, and 10 minutes of stretching.

For 30 mins cardio, it doesn't matter what you do (treadmill, elliptical, stationary bike), just make sure your heart is beating slightly harder than usual (there's usually a heart rate monitor built into the machine).

For 20 mins strength training, you can pick a few weight machines that you like and do something like 3 sets of 8 repetitions for each machine. However, I've known quite a few people who overdid it on the machines at first and got injured. It might be safer to start by doing as many pushups and situps as you can do on the mat. The next day you can try to beat your record!

For 10 mins stretching, just do whatever feels good and make sure to stretch out the areas you worked on that day.

Best of luck!
  • junebedson
    junebedson Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Know just how you feel.but there should be a trainer to start you off and show you how everything works,if in doubt ask at the reception .He/she can even do you a program depending on what you want ,weight loss,cardio fitness or weight training etc.Don't get put off we all have to start some where.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    There should be gym staff to help you get aquainted with the equipment, don't be afraid to ask them for explainations. They aren't always the best at creating a routine for you but sometimes they do offer a free training session.

As for cardio, treadmill, elliptical, bikes and so on they're pretty user friendly, you can either hit the quick start button or select a program, the display will guide you through the rest.

If you're new to fitness you could try 10 minutes on each piece of cardio equipment, see what feels good and what doesn't. Once you figure that out it's easier to find a comfort zone and get into a regular routine.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Best bet is to start with a trainer. They should be able to show you all the machines and how they work without charging you extra. if you want to pay for their services they are worth it. I agree with the poster above 30 min of cardio with an elevated heart rate should get you going. incorporate some weight training a couple times a week. google or youtube some work outs. you will be amazed how much there is to learn and how much is out there. I always take abs and other classes the gym offers. I would suggest that as well if you can. You might meet a work out buddy :) Good luck!
  • RodHudson1229
    RodHudson1229 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on joining the gym! A good place to start is by doing 30 minutes of cardio, 20 minutes of strength training, and 10 minutes of stretching.

For 30 mins cardio, it doesn't matter what you do (treadmill, elliptical, stationary bike), just make sure your heart is beating slightly harder than usual (there's usually a heart rate monitor built into the machine).

For 20 mins strength training, you can pick a few weight machines that you like and do something like 3 sets of 8 repetitions for each machine. However, I've known quite a few people who overdid it on the machines at first and got injured. It might be safer to start by doing as many pushups and situps as you can do on the mat. The next day you can try to beat your record!

For 10 mins stretching, just do whatever feels good and make sure to stretch out the areas you worked on that day.

Best of luck!

Well said for a beginner(someone who is just joining the gym)
    Personally I try to do 30 minutes of cardio on days that I core work and 45 on days that I don't do weights/core. Stretching daily is really good advice. I would also speak with your gym do they offer any les mills classes? I actually love several of those classes. If not you can start off with some basics and break things up into stuff like legs and shoulders one day then back and biceps on another and finish with chest and triceps. 3 basic workouts a week and 5 days of cardio. Take a day or 2 off to rest and recover before hitting it again. Mix it up don't spend all your time in the gym. Get outside do some good walks, hikes, bike rides. My 2 cents.... Best of luck in your journey
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I signed up at then gym I've only gone about 5 times in 2 months. When I go I don't know what machines to do or how long to use the treadmill for??? I feel lost. I'm trying to get fit and loose wt. I have gained a lot of weight.
    Any advice on work outs or what machines to use. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Use youtube and search for workouts IE "back workout" watch it ... go to the gym and try it!!! . POG is great for this, they helped me allot when I first started. Youtube is a free personal trainer best thing ever!

• amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Ask someone at the front desk if there's a staffer available to answer a few questions and get you started. Even where I go at Planet Fitness (which is pretty much DIY), there's someone you can ask. You can visit bodybuilder.com for weight lifting videos. On the search bar at the left side of the screen, click "beginner" and then refine your search. The videos are short but very helpful.

The treadmill is a good place to start for cardio. Just set it on manual, enter your weight, walking speed, incline and how long you want to walk. Depending on your current level of fitness, I'd recommend starting at 3.0 mph with no incline at first. Then next time, bump up the incline a couple of notches to get comfortable with that. Then increase your speed the following visit. As you start to feel stronger, you can increase the duration of your workout.

I remember my first workout was 3.5 mph for 20 minutes. I was tired but within a couple of weeks I started to see where I could pick up the pace and intensity. Now my usual treadmill session is 30 minutes with nothing lower than 8.0 incline and 4.0 mph. I do 3-5 minute intervals of harder work (for example, 4.5 mph walking at 12-15 incline or 5.5 mph running at 0 incline) with 1-2 minute low intensity recovery periods (4.0 mph at 0-5 incline).

Good luck and don't be shy. The sooner you get information, you'll likely make a habit of your workouts and start to see success.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Does your gym have group classes? Classes are a good way to learn the importance of stretching and proper form. Also going to different classes are a simple way to find out what you like. Warm up 10-30 minute on a bike or treadmill first.
  • JuliaHaleFitness
    JuliaHaleFitness Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I really recommend talking to a trainer. A lot of gyms offer a free session when you sign up. It's really important that you don't hurt yourself simply because you are unsure! A trainer should not only give you an idea of the workout you should be doing but also make you feel comfortable being there! Don't be too shy to ask! That's the first thing I always tell my clients. There are no wrong or silly questions, just silly ideas about being afraid to ask them!
  • sdumpert
    sdumpert Posts: 3 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hi 84! If your goal is to lose "a lot of weight," as you wrote, you should do both cardio and weight training. Never underestimate the power of strong muscle to help you burn calories. This advice is only my opinion. I am not a personal trainer, though it seems that you may benefit from one since you need instruction on exercise form also.

When weight training, you should focus on motions that activate multiple joints (chest press, shoulder press, seated row, laterals pulldown, leg press, deadlift). Break them up so you do one or two exercises each day you go to the gym. First thing, sit on the machine with zero resistance and move the machine. Make sure the plane in which your limbs need to move feels natural with no twisting or pinching. Then add 5-10 pounds and move the machine 15 or so times to warm up your muscle. Now you are ready to lift weights. Set the weight so your ability to do the motion fails between the 12th and the 15th repetition of the exercise. This will take some practice. If you can accomplish 15 repetitions, the weight is too light. After one set of repetitions, rest 2 minutes, then set the weight slightly lower and do another set, shooting for 12-15 reps. Rest again. Lower the weight a tiny bit and do it again. When you have done 3 sets, you are done with that exercise for the week. Record your weights and repetitions for each set and try to do more reps the next week. When you reach 15 reps on any one set, increase the weight the next week to bring your effort back down to 12 reps.

Only after you have done your lifting should you do any kind of cardio. Pick any machine you want, but machines that make you use all of your legs are best. Subtract your age from 220; this is your maximum heart rate. To lose weight, you need to be making your heart rate climb to at least 60% of this number: (220 - your age) x 0.60. Spend 3 minutes moving the machine so your heart rate climbs slowly and steadily, and your joints warm up. Then increase the resistance and/or pace on the machine until your heat rate climbs to just above the target. Try to hold it there for at least 30 minutes. Do this cardio routine at least 4 times per week.

If you make healthy choices with your diet, wight should start to melt away. Remember that good change is slow change. There is no magic diet or program that will transform you in one month. Make a commitment to live a new lifestyle that includes fitness so that your goals are gradual and intentional. This is the only way to change yourself without your body trying to resist the change.

Best of luck!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Best of luck!

Going from no exercise to an hours worth is a sure way to burn out or get injured TBH.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    There are numerous, established programs out there...pick a beginner program and go.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Check out fitnessrx.com. They have some read workouts. Just print and take it with you or download to your phone and go. I am currently using Jamie eason 30 day total body knockout. I really like it. I have not lifted in several years and I felt like this was a great way to get back into it. Good luck!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I use bodybuidling.com (don't be scared, they have beginner programs) or here's my "beginner workout"...

I go three times a week:

Workout A : 3 sets of 10 (start with no weights and work your way up)

Squats
    Bench Press
    Rows
    Tricep Press Downs
    Calf Raises
    Planks or crunches

Workout B : 3 Sets of 10 (start with no weights and work up)

Deadlifts
    Lat Pull downs
    Overhead shoulder press
    Bicept curls
    Planks or crunches

Start with 15 minutes of cardio and end with 15 minutes of cardio.

* During off days, I either walk my dog to warm up my muscles, or I do yoga

Google each exercise, watch youtube videos to see how they're done, and ask an employee if you have good form. FORM IS KEY! DON'T HURT YOURSELF BECAUSE YOU DON'T WANT TO ASK!

Now for all the haters, this is just a suggestions, I'm not a trainer. Rip it apart all you want to, maybe she'll get better suggestions.

*Edit to add, this workout takes me roughly an hour to accomplish if I stay on task and the gym is empty
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I would suggest to ask your gym if there is a trainer you can meet with to show you around the equipment. Many gyms have that as part of the intro to the gym.
  • Silverstar721
    Silverstar721 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If you get into weight lifting with hand weights, I generally start out with the lowest one and buildup to maybe 3 lb weights. Do 10 reps each with the light and each time you switch weights. Pretty soon it will feel like you want something heavier and then you can graduate up. Always do the warmup with the lightest weights first and then cool down with the lightest weights. In this way you shouldn't pull a muscle.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options

Best of luck!

Yep this is the formula. If you are in the gym ask the trainers or staff to walk you through the circuit training for resistance training (weights)

• justfenix
    justfenix Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    habanks43 wrote: »
    I have trouble with weight training due to bad knees and an injured shoulder. I have had the best luck on the elliptical machines which i will do for either 30 minutes or an hour depending on how busy the gym is. I alternate between that and the treadmill for 30-60 minutes. So far it has worked for me, and i have been able to up the resistance and incline on both as i get in better shape.

When I started back working out I was coming back from a torn labrum with maybe 60% of the mobility and stability in my shoulder that I had previously (I could only raise my arm about 10" above my head). I got a trainer, we stayed light on areas that were affected by the injury but did not avoid it. We pulled back a little or made adjustments if there was actual pain but at this point I'm probably back to 95% without having had surgery. Find a trainer that gets it (Not all will, trainers are like dates. Not all are going to be a match and one bad one doesn't mean you should never try again. Next man up!). They just might have some cool tricks in their bag that are exactly what you are looking for.

Also...swimming or just some water based strength classes might help.