P90x vs. Insanity

Options
TayJoMama
TayJoMama Posts: 348 Member
I keep seeing both of these come up on the boards and wondered what's the difference? Which is better for losing weight? I've been doing the FIRM Cardio Sculpt, Bob Harpers Pure Burn Strength training, which kicks my butt, but I'm right there with him. But my main exercise is my elliptical. I need to change it up, but P90 intimidates me a little, I'm afraid it will kill me:laugh: Would I be better starting off with P90? Just getting info.

Replies

• starsnyc21
    starsnyc21 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I always hear P90X is more strength training but I know they have a P90X Lean program you can follow if your primary goal is weight loss. Both of them are hard workouts.
  • JatieKo621
    JatieKo621 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I've never done p90x but I LOVE INSANITY! It is such a great workout and you start seeing results very quickly. I had initially planned on doing p90x but I didn't want to buy weights or a pull up bar, so when I found out that INSANITY only uses your body I picked it instead. Good luck with whatever you choose!
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    They are different programs entirely , P90x uses weights and resistance, it does have cardio. So you'd build more muscle with P90x. Insanity, is high intensity aerobic training, with plyoremetics. It makes your muscles be able to contract quicker. It burns a lot of calories, it's also very very intense.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    P90X can look intimidating, but within the same program is the lean version. It has more cardio DVD's in ther 12 DVD set and a just a couple of days a week of weight lifting. Insanity is 90% cardio with fast push-ups and plank work. In my opinion, it is best to start with P90X to build up your strength and foundation before doing Insanity.
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing both of these come up on the boards and wondered what's the difference? Which is better for losing weight? I've been doing the FIRM Cardio Sculpt, Bob Harpers Pure Burn Strength training, which kicks my butt, but I'm right there with him. But my main exercise is my elliptical. I need to change it up, but P90 intimidates me a little, I'm afraid it will kill me:laugh: Would I be better starting off with P90? Just getting info.

If you don't mind buying a pull-up bar and some weights, then I would recommend starting with Power 90. If that poses a problem Insanity is the way to go. Normally I would say start with P90X, but the up front costs can be intimidating. Before P90X was Power 90, so if P90X scares you start with Power 90. Any other questions please don't hesitate to message me.

Stu
  • macnupe
    macnupe Posts: 19
    Options
    I currently do a combination of both. I am on day 34. Each of them kick my butt in their own ways. P90X does focus more on strength training, but does have cardio aspects to it, ie Kenpo X and Plyometrics. The strength routines are rigorous and leave the muscles feeling crushed!

On the otherhand, Insanity is fresh, fast paced and furious! hahahha It is high energy. The 10 minute warm-up has nearly put me down on several occasions.

I use the P90x strength geared routines and Insanity for cardio. That way I am (in my mind) building strength and shedding pounds.

If you are more interested in toning, sculpting or building mass muscle, i would recommend P90X. If you are interested in getting fit, toning, and losing a few pounds, then hit up Insanity.

Hope this helps.
  • mmysliws
    mmysliws Posts: 15
    Options
    I own both workouts...I will say that P90X is more realistic for me. When I do P90X (i run half and full marathons and have been playing volleyball which i know doesnt always mean much, basically trying to get across im athletic) I can do most of the routines, except for the pull ups, no bar. When I did insanity I felt like i could hardly catch my breath... there was a moment when I got light headed from the speed. I know that he is well... insane but i felt that having to stop and take a breath and seeing the people working with him doing the same on the DVD I had more of a feeling of failure rather than accomplishment because when i set out to do those videos I want something like an injury to stop me from doing something not the need to catch my breath. I know over time I started to get into the flow more but I actually prefer the way P90X works over the quick pace of insanity.

That being said though they are both great options for getting into shape if you have the ability to follow the full program
  • LittleD311
    LittleD311 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I just finished my first round of P90X on May 9th...lost a total of 9 lbs, and 14.5 inches.........I am now on my 3rd day of INSANITY, and let me tell you, it is INTENSE, EXTREME< and HARD< but I"m loving it! I would def. tell you insanity should be done after p90x, or any other beachbody program! lol
  • everain
    everain Posts: 5
    Options
    I opted for P90X because I wanted to focus on strength, give my body some definition and build muscle so I could burn more calories at rest. I also get discouraged with exercise programs that require coordination or fast moving sets - I'd rather slowly do the move correctly than do a whole bunch of reps incorrectly. I tend to get sloppy when I try to keep up with fast routines. I was a big fan of tao-bo back in the day. Perhaps after I graduate from P90X i'll be in better shape to consider something like Insanity but for now i'm sticking with P90X and it is kicking my butt. Every exericse leaves me drenched in sweat and panting like a dog on a hot summer day. I also took into account my dancing and what I was looking for - I want to pull off the acro tricks better and strengthen my legs even more so I can dance en pointe longer and better, was also very intent on strengthening my core seeing as its a major weakness for me and really affects my dancing ability. I'm very flexible but lack the strength to really show off my flexiblity.
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    I completed my first round of Insanity just a few weeks ago. I dropped 16.2 pounds during the 9 weeks, and lost (IIRC) about 5 inches from my waist, hips, chest, arms, and legs. And the weight has just kept melting off since then. I started P90X a week after finishing Insanity, but after doing Insanity, P90X was too slow and too boring (for me). P90X really isn't necessarily meant for weight loss (it's more meant for toning, tightening and/or muscle building), and I believe even if you do it on the "lean" program, you will not see as good results weight loss wise as you will with Insanity. Since I know Insanity works, and still have my doubts about P90X (insofar as the weight loss aspect goes only), I started Round 2 of Insanity this week. I plan to do Insanity (or maybe I'll get the Asylum, too) until I hit my goal weight, then I will give P90X another shot for tightening up.

Edited to add: Insanity requires that you have -0- equipment whatsoever. P90X requires weights and/or resistance bands, plus a place to do pull-ups. If cost is a concern for you, Insanity may be the better choice because you don't need to buy anything in addition to the DVDs like you would with P90X. But as others have said, Insanity will be the hardest, most heart-pounding, fast-paced home workout you've ever experienced (but that's a good thing!)....well, unless you get the Asylum (the next step up after Insanity).
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    You'd be better off doing neither
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options

Why's that?
  • leasah
    leasah Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are both day 3 week 4 Phase I of P90x and so far I love it. I was really intimidated and had no intention of even trying it, but once my husband started I couldn't be left behind. We are already planning ahead to trying Insanity after we do P90x, as it seems more intense on the endurance and cardio.
    When I started I had completed 2 rounds of The 30 day Shred and so far P90x is very challenging but not nearly as bad as I had imagined it would be.
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options

Why's that?
    I know, right? Way to go telling people not to do something that actually works. We would love to hear your reasons, Kenny536.
  • JustMichelleB
    JustMichelleB Posts: 290
    Options
    I'm on Round 2 of P90X (lean version) and INsanity intimidates me (i watched my sister do it once a couple years ago and I was exhausted just watching her!!LOL!). I swap out the P90X "cardio" workouts for running (although I do do the Plyo workout b/c it's great).
  • TayJoMama
    TayJoMama Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for the info guys. I have some weight already from other workout DVDs I have. Looking at the Insanity video on amazon, it looks like a lot of jumping, which I don't like since I dislocated my knee cap a few years ago. Seems to be the consensus that P90 doesn't really help with weight loss, just toning and firming. Am I right?
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    During my first round of P90X I lost 24 pounds. My 2nd round I lost 7 pounds. It's mostly about diet with any program that you choose. If you have an injury that you're still nursing then all of the jumping in Insanity would not be a good idea. I can say that you should get a good joint support supplement, but it all depends on the severity of your injury. Also, if you don't plan to get a program through a Beachbody coach then I would recommend that you get it directly through Beachbody. They offer payment plans and will give you a replacement DVD if you have any issues with what you received. A seller on Amazon won't do that for you.