Need ideas for fitness on a budget!

Options
I lost my full-time job last week, and while I'm looking diligently for a new one, I've obviously had to make some spending cuts. So, I had to give up my monthly gym membership and weekly yoga classes. What can I do in the meantime that does not involve a gym or a lot of expensive equipment?

I am running outside and had running shoes and my HRM several months before running into trouble at work and subsequently being let go. I am getting ready for a 5K in June and a half marathon in October with maybe another race in between. Obviously I can train outside with no cost and get free running apps, etc. I have a streaming service that I kept because it was less than $10 a month and the Facebook community for the subscribers is really supportive.

What did you guys do in similar situations? I'm thinking of buying DVDs and equipment as I can afford them, but I don't want to spend too much. At least with DVDs, there is only the one-time cost, as opposed to a monthly streaming subscription. Are there any good YouTube channels you'd recommend? Am I missing something else? I appreciate the help!

Replies

• Chikika
    Chikika Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You can get a lot of, if not all of Jillian Michaels work outs off of youtube. A good channel is BeFit. You could download others that are usually expensive like p90x. Maybe check kijiji or craigslist for cheap/free equipment and weights.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Fitnessblender.com is awesome!!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    There are lots of free exercise videos online including body weight workouts for strength training. If you have cable TV there are usually workouts in their on demand collection, too. If you want to work with additional weights resistance bands are cheap. As you pointed out, running is free since you already have the equipment you need.
  • NJ84
    NJ84 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for yoga I would recommend yoga with Adriene on youtube.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight training. No equipment needed
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Burpees! Sign up for the Spartan challenges and enjoy the 30 days of suck!
  • mandy_bird
    mandy_bird Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yes, YouTube is awesome. I use YouTube for Yoga. I also just picked up a more intense Taebo DVD for $1.50 at a local thrift store. I also second CSARdiver, Spartan race training also has Workout-of-the-day (WOD) and 30-day challenges that keep you going really well!

@CSARdiver are you a Spartan, too?
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I have yet to compete, so no. I used to compete in adventure racing and discovered Spartan after my neighbor completed the trifecta last year. I want to do the Milwaukee sprint, but life gets in the way.