Question about day to day protein consumption

Options
It is well established that people can bank calories and it is more telling to look at weekly calories rather than daily calories. I was wondering if the same concept applied to protein? Lets say that during the week I eat more than enough protein, would it be ok if i was under my protein goal on the weekends? Essentially, can I eat over my protein goal one day and under it the next while bulking?

Replies

• cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Unlike carbs or fat, there is no storage system in the body for protein except for existing muscle tissue itself. So I guess it depends on how low on protein you are thinking about going if muscle tissue is at risk. So, the more muscle damage that was done with training and the lower you go with protein, the more at risk existing tissue will be.
  • anask4
    anask4 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I'd have to say no because you are not storing excess protein you eat throughout the week in order to pull that from reserves from the weekend.
    Thanks, that makes sense.
    cajuntank wrote: »
    Unlike carbs or fat, there is no storage system in the body for protein except for existing muscle tissue itself. So I guess it depends on how low on protein you are thinking about going if muscle tissue is at risk. So, the more muscle damage that was done with training and the lower you go with protein, the more at risk existing tissue will be.

I wouldnt go to low or consciously avoid protein, its just that I am more lenient with tracking on the weekends. I guess Ill just aim to hit my target every day
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    As @MrM27 and @cajuntank stated, the body does not store excess protein. It also depends on what you consider "going under" protein goals in relation to your activity and current caloric intake. Since you posted this in the gaining weight section, I assume you are at a surplus. If you are lifting weights regularly and concerned with muscle growth, minimum protein goals/day should be around .6g/lbs. If you aren't lifting, I've seen minimum requirements of .36g/lbs. Not sure how much you weigh, but when in a surplus or "bulking" it shouldn't be too hard to hit that even without trying.
  • anask4
    anask4 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    dieselbyte wrote: »
    As @MrM27 and @cajuntank stated, the body does not store excess protein. It also depends on what you consider "going under" protein goals in relation to your activity and current caloric intake. Since you posted this in the gaining weight section, I assume you are at a surplus. If you are lifting weights regularly and concerned with muscle growth, minimum protein goals/day should be around .6g/lbs. If you aren't lifting, I've seen minimum requirements of .36g/lbs. Not sure how much you weigh, but when in a surplus or "bulking" it shouldn't be too hard to hit that even without trying.

I thought that 0.8g/lb was the bare minimum (which would put me at 120-125g since i weigh about 150 lbs). Even on weekends when Im eating tons of carbs I doubt that I am ever below 110 grams protein. Weekdays my meals are pre-planned so I get like 150-170 grams. I guess its not really a problem but this is my first bulk and I wanted to be sure.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    anask4 wrote: »
    dieselbyte wrote: »

I thought that 0.8g/lb was the bare minimum (which would put me at 120-125g since i weigh about 150 lbs). Even on weekends when Im eating tons of carbs I doubt that I am ever below 110 grams protein. Weekdays my meals are pre-planned so I get like 150-170 grams. I guess its not really a problem but this is my first bulk and I wanted to be sure.

In a bulk carbs are king. .6g-.8g as minimums for protein consumption.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    anask4 wrote: »
    It is well established that people can bank calories and it is more telling to look at weekly calories rather than daily calories. I was wondering if the same concept applied to protein? Lets say that during the week I eat more than enough protein, would it be ok if i was under my protein goal on the weekends? Essentially, can I eat over my protein goal one day and under it the next while bulking?

Actually, from a training and performance standpoint you wouldn't want to bank calories...you would want to give your body the calories and nutrients it requires now for performance and recovery...same for protein targets.

In a sense, yes...it's all a continuum...but that's not really taking into account training and training volume and intensity. When you put in a good lifting session, your body needs calories and nutrients (including protein) now for recovery...not next Saturday.