still logging?

Options
So yesterday i had a conversation with my coworker, and told her how i am still logging and she looked at me and said "after all this time you are still counting calories, you don't know how many calories are in what you're eating?" I looked at her really confused and said "i do, but it helps me to track so i don't over/under eat and i can keep track of Macros and i tend to not binge."
I have really only been tracking, with MFP, since December and before that i was tracking with Weight Watchers.

Has anybody else run into this and how did you handle it?

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I don't eat the same thing every day, does she?

What an odd question for her to ask.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    I could see if you ate the same exact thing every single day...but who does that? I still like to see that I hit my macros. I will probably log on here as long as I can. I would be very sad if MFP ever went away.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Well that doesn't sound very nice or supportive. Only people in my house and people on here even know I'm logging. I've had saboteurs in the past and decided I'd keep it very personal this time. Just tell her it works. :)

I'm good with memory and with math and I do know a lot of my food info, but I have enough other stuff going on so why not use this very easy app? The only time it takes me more than a total of 5 minutes for the entire day is if I decide to play on the forums.
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    I could see if you ate the same exact thing every single day...but who does that? I still like to see that I hit my macros. I will probably log on here as long as I can. I would be very sad if MFP ever went away.

Complete agree! I also have a tendance to over/under eat if i am not logging, and i get really paranoid that i will not have enough calories; i think part of that is from when i did WW for 2 months and was constantly hungry and making terrible choices and even for the first year i was on MFP i didn't learn about TDEE yet and i was making horrible choices and blowing my calories. But now that my eating has gotten better, my paranoia about running out of calories is still there but i know if i track and see the number i relax a little.
  • MelWick524
    MelWick524 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Yeah, my husband and many of my friends all tell me I'm obsessive and that "normal people" don't weigh and write down everything they eat. I get all of my motivation and support at my gym and on MFP...and I'm OK with that.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Huh. I've been tracking for 3 years. I still log everything. If anything, my logging has gotten more consistent and accurate over time. I haven't had anyone ask me why though.
  • Allelito
    Allelito Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Yeahh, I'd rather not eat the exact same things every day.. Also, I don't stare at something and calculate in my head how many grams it is. Strange question.

Luckily my boyfriend, family and friends are very supportive and understanding when it comes to my calorie counting/healthy habits.
    I love it when me and my bf plan to have dinner together, and he asks me "Hey, you wanna eat this tonight? Or will it fit into your calories?". It really helps that he knows and cares about my goals as well!
  • MelWick524
    MelWick524 Posts: 215 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    -
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I get that too...I have a friend who says flippantly, "I don't need to log stuff, I know what to do." OK, Like I don't. I feel like saying to her sometimes, If you know what to do then what's with that stomach??? I know, sounds so mean. NO, I will never say that but I felt like it.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    So yesterday i had a conversation with my coworker, and told her how i am still logging.

That right there was your first mistake.

I don't discuss it with colleagues, 'cause, really, most people aren't that interested in other people's weight loss. Or baby pictures. Or vacation photos. Or fad diets.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Why care what a coworker thinks? Do what works and ignore unsolicited advice.
  • lauries8888
    lauries8888 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I actually do eat the same thing pretty much every day. I would cook for myself but I've only lived in my apartment for 4 years so I haven't found the stove yet. I found the kitchen though -- it is the room with the good light so there are plants on every surface (which probably explains why I haven't found the stove).

But I still log every day because it makes me feel good to track my progress.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I've been here for almost 2 years and I am still logging...I don't eat the same thing everyday and I love to cook from scratch so yah it's kind of necessary for me...

Or I could become an expert at losing instead of maintaining...I prefer to be good at maintaining...(note on a small cut to get rid of vacation weight and an extra 5 to see how I like it)
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I just say that "I'm a data junkie" and that's that.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I'm going to keep logging everything until I am at my goal. That might be a year or more plus the 6 months I have already done it. Yes, I do know how many calories are generally in certain foods I have often by now but I don't eat the same combination of things every day nor do I do the exact same exercise every day. I might not need to log everything for the rest of my life but I'm not at the point I feel comfortable doing that. I actually like logging my food actually.
    It doesn't matter what someone else thinks. I would just say that it is working for me and change the subject.
  • katsmo
    katsmo Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I find that everyone in the muggle world thinks it's anal or odd or obsessive. Everyone here thinks it's perfectly healthy and normal. Keeping your body in optimal condition and knowing what you put into it each day is NOT odd. However, I've learned to not share this too freely with others. Let her do her, and you keep doing you.
  • katsmo
    katsmo Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness- I wrote a-n-a-l innocently above! I'm not swearing or using it inappropriately. My apologies to any sensitive MFPers ;)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    katsmo wrote: »
    Oh my goodness- I wrote a-n-a-l innocently above! I'm not swearing or using it inappropriately. My apologies to any sensitive MFPers ;)

LOL! MFP is funny sometimes in what it censors. I love the posts about the sporting goods store that gets censored (rhymes with hicks)... :p
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I'm 6+ months into maintenance. I still track/log. The only difference now vs when I was losing: I allow myself to estimate a bit here & there now. Still use the food scale almost every day but not for everything. MFP & the phone app make it easy.