I despise cardio, but...

Options
2»

Replies

• peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    joejccva71 wrote: »
    I'll bite and say that moderate cardio 2-3 times per week is good. Even HIIT is beneficial, but it's not necessary to maintain good heart health.

The Center for Disease Control, American Heart Association, Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology, UK National Health Service, World Health Organization, European Heart Health Initiative plus pretty much every other major health organization disagrees with you.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I loath cardio too, but I suck it up and do it 15 minutes before and after I lift...and I've really enjoyed hiking through the river valley lately. If you can borrow someone's dog, it always makes it more fun :smile:
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Tinabob777 wrote: »
    I'll bite and say that moderate cardio 2-3 times per week is good. Even HIIT is beneficial, but it's not necessary to maintain good heart health. But on the flip side of that, I know people that run 5-7 days a week for 5-10 miles each session and I can't help but shake my head. I'm not going to go into reasons why I don't believe it's a good idea to do that much running, but that's not "moderate cardio". It's insanity.

I know this is going to bring out the the devil in the runners on this forum and that's fine, but to top the icing on the cake I even asked a guy at the gym why he never trained legs. His response was: "I don't need to, I run."

I left the building.

My running is the reason I train my legs! Gotta get them stronger!

To train my legs, I squat all the weight I can. Strength I believe comes from lifting heavy weights, and endurance from running. I do both, but my main focus is strength training. In my opinion, anyone who says strength training doesn't require serious cardio involvement hasn't lifted heavy enough.

To each their own though, at the end of the day.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    I'll bite and say that moderate cardio 2-3 times per week is good. Even HIIT is beneficial, but it's not necessary to maintain good heart health. But on the flip side of that, I know people that run 5-7 days a week for 5-10 miles each session and I can't help but shake my head. I'm not going to go into reasons why I don't believe it's a good idea to do that much running, but that's not "moderate cardio". It's insanity.

I know this is going to bring out the the devil in the runners on this forum and that's fine, but to top the icing on the cake I even asked a guy at the gym why he never trained legs. His response was: "I don't need to, I run."

I left the building.

My running is the reason I train my legs! Gotta get them stronger!

To train my legs, I squat all the weight I can. Strength I believe comes from lifting heavy weights, and endurance from running. I do both, but my main focus is strength training. In my opinion, anyone who says strength training doesn't require serious cardio involvement hasn't lifted heavy enough.

To each their own though, at the end of the day.

That's what I was saying. The reason I squat and train my legs heavy is to improve my running.
    I was mocking the dude who said he didn't need to train.

Oh, got it! I wasn't sure what you meant, thanks for clarifying. :smile: I just really love them squats and deadlifts.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »
    I'll bite and say that moderate cardio 2-3 times per week is good. Even HIIT is beneficial, but it's not necessary to maintain good heart health.

The Center for Disease Control, American Heart Association, Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology, UK National Health Service, World Health Organization, European Heart Health Initiative plus pretty much every other major health organization disagrees with you.

I guess I don't have a healthy heart then.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,934 Member
    Options
    Great news! I thought I'd have to at least be doing a few miles on the treadmill every other day but i'd much rather strength train.

A few miles on the treadmill every other day is one form of cardio ... but certainly not the only form.

Simply going for a brisk walk at lunch to take a break from the office is another. That can be a good way to get 30 min in while getting some sunshine and fresh air.

But there are many other things you can do too ...

-- cycling
    -- spin classes
    -- hiking
    -- kayaking
    -- dancing
    -- swimming
    -- cross-country skiing
    -- snowshoeing

Perhaps you might like some team sports instead ...

-- hockey
    -- soccer
    -- basketball
    -- netball
    -- lacrosse

You might like the pace of sports like ...

-- racquetball
    -- squash

Strength training is good ... but so is cardio, and you don't have to limit yourself to jogging on the treadmill ...

Look ...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sports

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    OP, you don't need much, if any. I'm actually experimenting with doing basically no cardio right now (down from a whole hour a week, ha).

I hate it so much, I'm trying to see how little I can get away with to be in maintenance and feel comfortable.
  • Ocrgrrrl
    Ocrgrrrl Posts: 189 Member
    Options

I left the building.

Haha! You, I like.
    No, but seriously...weave your cardio into your strength training. For instance, perform a set of squats, then immediately perform a cardio burst (jump squats, sprint on the treadmill, jump rope) for 30-60 seconds. It will blow your mind (and be much more entertaining! ).