Am I doing enough to lose any?

Options
I'm 5"9 female and currently 14st. In reality I want to get to around 12 stone but just one stone down would be great, i'm also aiming to get some muscle so understand weight will come off slower as muscle develops.
I started at the gym a bit over a month ago, now cycle for 40 minutes at 16-18mph, different leg and arm machines at 45-60kg, bench press 25kg, sit ups with weights and am slowly building up my running (can run for about 3 minutes now, poor I know!)
Weights are done 3 loads of 10 so that the last lot are difficult. I hit the gym generally 5 times a week for an hour and a bit.

My diet is slower to improve, I've gone from donuts and crisps and around 2000cals a day, to meat, eggs, greenery (and still donuts!) and around 1400 calories a day.

I know I'm being pretty impatient but how long would you think it would take to SEE a reasonable improvement in my weight/shape? I've lost 3 inches off my waist but that was within the first week of gyming and I only seem to have gained weight since?

What can I improve about my gym sessions and/or diet?

Any encouraging words? Stories?

Thanks!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit=weight loss, exercise=fitness, and you can't gain muscle and lose weight at the same time.

Get your calories under control. You seem to be in the red quite a bit...there's nothing wrong with eating donuts, but make sure you're still within your calories and have met your macros. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101#latest
  • emmafisher3110
    emmafisher3110 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Yeah, I always think "just today" and go into the red, now I look back, I've pretty much done that straight for a week or more!

Clearly the key is willpower! My kryptonite!
  • CatHunterFit
    CatHunterFit Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    It is possible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time! But it's a long process. Have a look at this article for starters http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/fat_loss_muscle_gain_trick.htm

I've managed to gain muscle and lose fat. It's very possible for someone who didn't have much muscle mass in the first place, but yes those who have a good foundation and want to build more muscle cannot do this without eating a calorie surplus.

I would be concerned that your calorie allocation per day is too low for you given how much exercise you are doing, and from looking at your diet you are wasting calories on junk food. Make sure you are eating a decent balance of protein, carbs and fats. I eat more calories per day than you and I'm 8stone7.

As long as you are eating at a deficit you can lose weight, so you could carry on with the donuts if you are still at a deficit. But it you ate more lean meat, eggs, vegetables, and healthy fats like avocado you would get a lot more food for your calories.

I'd recommend you go to www.iifym.com to work out how many calories you should be eating, and what your balance of carbs, protein and fats should be.

You are seeing progress in that you are losing inches. But if you sorted out your nutrition, you would see better gains.
  • emmafisher3110
    Options
    Thank you!

Yep, I'll definitly put more focus on good food. Luckily I've finished off all the donuts so that temptations gone!
  • CatHunterFit
    Options
    Check your calorie allowance too. How much do you have it set in MFP to lose a week?
  • emmafisher3110
    Options
    I've just changed from lightly active at 1400 calories to sedentary and 1200 as apart from gym I don't really do alot.
    And its set to lose 1lb I believe.
  • CatHunterFit
    Options
    Hang on...did you just reduce it to 1,200 cals? This is too low for your start weight. You will find as you lose weight you will need to eat less and less to maintain your losses.

Did you try the IIFYM calculator at www.iifym.com?