Will I ever be a runner

Options
I know I just started the C25K program and I am finishing up week 4 but am beginning to doubt if I will ever catch the running bug. I have completed every workout so far but have not enjoyed doing any of them. Maybe it is the rolling hills in which I am running becuase the up hills seem to throw my breathing out of wack and get my heart rate over 180. However my goal is to run a half marathon in November. Doing the walk run combination of the C25K program I am at about 2.6 miles. I can invision myself completing the 5K or someday even the 10K but I am having a hard time seeing myself ever run 13.1 miles. Is there anyone out there that can give me some advice on this running thing? Maybe even tell me it's not for me. Did any of you runners start off like me and had success? PLEASE HELP ME.

Replies

• DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I was the same way until about half-way through, I found my breath. It felt like it came out of no where, I was able to do it without fighting to catch my breath. Once you reach this you're hooked. Good luck to you!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    You don't have to run a half marathon to be a runner. You define what you are. Plenty of runners stick to running shorter distances - nothing wrong with that. That said, the more you run, the healthier you get (weight lost and improved cardiorespiratory abilities) the easier it will be. If you keep it up, you may suprise yourself at what you find you want to do and are capable of .
  • NicolePatriot
    NicolePatriot Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Hey there..I started off in January not being able to run more than 2 minutes straight. Now I'm up to almost 20 minutes. The thing is, I do enjoy it! If you don't enjoy doing it, I would find another exercise you can do and actually look forward to! It's all about having fun and looking forward to your workouts :) Good luck!!
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Why don't you stick with it and find out?

Look Rome wasn't built in a day. When your learning to run, it takes time. If you rush it, you'll get injured and then won't want to run again.

What I would suggest is, do your C25K, take the Bridge to 10K and then start doing a single, long slow run once a week. This is about 2 minutes per mile off your pace.

Basically you slow down to run longer.

Once you've done the 10K, start adding 10% per week to your long slow run.

Week 1 -> 10K
    Week 2 -> 11K
    Week 3 -> 12.1K etc,etc... next thing you know you are suddenly at 21K and feeling like the king of the world.

But here is the real secret... Take it SLOW and enjoy the ride. It's much more enjoyable when you aren't injured.

Feel free to add me as a friend. I went from 320+ pounds to 235 pounds and competing in the Honolulu Marathon within the span of 9 months... I would love to share my insights with you.
  • andipandi
    andipandi Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    lol...be patient!!! soon you'll be running like the wind....feeling free and strong...it will happen in time. just give it time. it took me 3 years to develop a full love. i run almost 10km every day...you could ask your dr. for a ventolin inhaler. it opens your airways...that way you won't sound like darth vader!!!! do not give up...yoda would tell you to be patient :)
  • Kellysue32
    Kellysue32 Posts: 16
    Options
    Hi! I am actually a running coach, and just coached a woman to run her first 10k using a similar program as C25K. She completed the race last weekend, and was ecstatic with the results! I have to say though that the first 2 months of training she hated pretty much every minute of the training...it wasn't until the 6 weeks or so that she "caught the bug" and really could envision herself as a runner. Now she is thinking of a half marathon in Sept.

You can do this...don't let your heart rate get so high though....the more aerobically that you train, the better your endurance will be. And that usually means slowing down your pace for a relatively short period of time during your training to make you be able to go further/longer.

Feel free to message me with any questions...I am happy to answer them :)
    Kelly
  • alexbowser
    alexbowser Posts: 322
    Options
    See how you feel after the C25K program, maybe you just aren't into running. You could try hiking or bike riding, there are lots of exercise options.
  • WildflowerAL
    WildflowerAL Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have been running for over 7 years and to this day I hate the first 2 miles.

In the beginning every step was a struggle and I wondered why I was doing it--then one day it all clicked. Now, I still have bad days where the runs don't click and I want to lay in the middle of the street and make someone come pick me up!

But I have completed 1 marathon, several half marathons, one 200 mile relay (with a team), 25k trail run and numerous 5 and 10k events.

I wouldn't trade it for the world--I have to force myself to lift weights (I would rather run every day of the week).

Keep at it--it will be fun!! I promise!!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options

Ha - I'd never really thought about it for me, but I really hate miles 2 and 3... the first mile is usually okay as I'm pumped up and ready to run, but the next two are tough. Once I make it to that point, though, I'm golden. :happy:
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    I know I just started the C25K program and I am finishing up week 4 but am beginning to doubt if I will ever catch the running bug. I have completed every workout so far but have not enjoyed doing any of them. Maybe it is the rolling hills in which I am running becuase the up hills seem to throw my breathing out of wack and get my heart rate over 180. However my goal is to run a half marathon in November. Doing the walk run combination of the C25K program I am at about 2.6 miles. I can invision myself completing the 5K or someday even the 10K but I am having a hard time seeing myself ever run 13.1 miles. Is there anyone out there that can give me some advice on this running thing? Maybe even tell me it's not for me. Did any of you runners start off like me and had success? PLEASE HELP ME.
    Great post topic. I was wondering the same myself.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I started c25k in December, and I'm up to running about six miles now. :smile: The first 3-5 minutes are STILL the most awkward for me. It could be that doing short intervals, you haven't had a chance to get into your stride yet.
  • elizamc
    elizamc Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Firstly you have done SO well! 2.6miles from nothing in 4 weeks is great progress!

I had a day like yours today too, unsure whether I will ever get to run a whole 5k. But I have to pull myself up by my bootstraps and tell myself:

1. that some days it is just harder.
    2. that these programmes are successful for many many people and therefore why not me?
    3. Shirl when you started you couldn't run 30secs and can now run much more than that.
    4. I don't have to run the whole thing - that walk run is okay
    5. Not to be so darn competitive about getting a good time (when i can't even do the whole thing yet!) and just to finish will be a major achievement.

Today I realised that I struggled more because I was doing more....and had actually got a little complacent over the last two weeks and not pushed myself to progress. I have realised that to progress is to push myself and that means a struggle until I'm ready to progress further.

Can you choose a different route on some days that's kinder, not so many hills?! Try not to look at the whole 13miles, focus on where you are and what level you are doing at the time, persevere until you master that level. Maybe you need to repeat Wk 4 again? I'm probably going to have to repeat my current week again too.

I put a post up a few days ago and got great advice and encouragement from fellow runners and some might be helpful for you too, this was my post:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/239960-advice-for-a-new-runner-please

Let me know how you get on!

Shirley
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    Ha - I'd never really thought about it for me, but I really hate miles 2 and 3... the first mile is usually okay as I'm pumped up and ready to run, but the next two are tough. Once I make it to that point, though, I'm golden. :happy:

^ Me too! :laugh:

I love jogging, but I'm not a competitive person. I set my own small goals and slowly chip away at them. It's kind of a relief to see this comment - it's never effortless at the outset for me - but after a few miles it's goooooood.....
  • napiform
    napiform Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The first few miles can be the hardest. The important thing I've found is to go at a slow speed to start with. Get your breathing even and controlled. I always find that it's my breathing and not my legs that give me the problem.

When you get to the finishing point (and you will) you can always plan to go quicker next time if you feel you could've gone more quickly. A slight increase in speed will come naturally, though, when you get into the habit of running the full distance.

I always tell myself that I'd rather make it to the end than finish quickly. If you need to walk, then walk. But do try to keep going.

Set a realistic pace from the very beginning.
  • nordam
    nordam Posts: 8
    Options
    I would suggest slowing your pace down. I think especially when first starting out, it is important to simply complete your time or distance regardless of how long it takes. For example, if you plan on going out to walk and run for 20 min. Make sure you complete those 20 min. If you plan on running 2.6 miles, make sure you go those 2.6 miles regardless of how slow you run or walk. I have found that I started enjoying running more when I was running slower. Over time you can build your speed.

I tried running at 3 different points in my life. I hated it and therefore stopped. This third and final time, I think the key was doing a walk/run program. I focused on completing the time (30 minutes of running and walking) and trying to enjoy myself as best I could. Some days are of course better than others. However, now I look forward to my runs and am now running about an hour and increasing.

Perhaps running isn't for everyone but it is a tough sport that takes time to get into. My incentive to keep working out is that I remember how hard it is to get into running shape. Once you are there, it feels great. So slow down your pace for now and try your best to enjoy yourself and think about how good it is for your body and your sanity.

Have fun!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options

I feel the exact same way. That's why I look forward to longer distances. I don't feel like my lungs are even open until mile three! The first 2 miles are really your warm up!

Just stick with it. Give yourself the advice you would give one of your kids, at least finish what you started and then reevaluate where you're at. Running is hard work but we all know you can do it!
  • 1FitMom326
    1FitMom326 Posts: 228
    Options
    1. that some days it is just harder.
    2. that these programmes are successful for many many people and therefore why not me?
    3. Shirl when you started you couldn't run 30secs and can now run much more than that.
    4. I don't have to run the whole thing - that walk run is okay
    5. Not to be so darn competitive about getting a good time (when i can't even do the whole thing yet!) and just to finish will be a major achievement.

I have also just started running about 11 weeks into it dong the couch to 10K program and shooting for a 10k in July. For me the biggest is listening to my body and not being so competitive. (Thank you Shirley for the reminder) I see everyone elses times and distance and I want to be there comparing myself but oftenn times I am comparing myself to people who have been running much longer then I have.
  • Fernandomike
    Fernandomike Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Once your endurance builds up, it really becomes enjoyable. Your mind wanders all over the place, and often, you're no longer aware of every agonizing step like it was in the beginning. I try to stay aware of my breathing and my form, but otherwise I get lost in the music and the run. At least, that's the way it is for me. Tough as hell at first, but now I am completely addicted.

And yes, you can do it.
  • jizenna
    jizenna Posts: 49
    Options
    Why don't you stick with it and find out?

Look Rome wasn't built in a day. When your learning to run, it takes time. If you rush it, you'll get injured and then won't want to run again.

What I would suggest is, do your C25K, take the Bridge to 10K and then start doing a single, long slow run once a week. This is about 2 minutes per mile off your pace.

Basically you slow down to run longer.

Once you've done the 10K, start adding 10% per week to your long slow run.

Week 1 -> 10K
    Week 2 -> 11K
    Week 3 -> 12.1K etc,etc... next thing you know you are suddenly at 21K and feeling like the king of the world.

But here is the real secret... Take it SLOW and enjoy the ride. It's much more enjoyable when you aren't injured.

Feel free to add me as a friend. I went from 320+ pounds to 235 pounds and competing in the Honolulu Marathon within the span of 9 months... I would love to share my insights with you.

I always love all of your posts, so helpful and motivational! Thank you!
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I am doing my first long run in a couple weeks. Some of my coworkers want me to sign up for a half marathon with them. I think I can do it... Nix that I know I can run 13 miles, but what a boring way to spend 2.5 hours! In my opinion that just sounds yawn! Maybe you won't catch that bug. With that said I am signing up for the boot camp challenge at the marine base, its only 3 miles, but thirty obstacles!!! I am also doing an 8.2 mile beach run. I do races that interest me. If they had a a marathon that included mud I would be there, without that motivation though I don't see it happening.