Running at 4 to 4.5 mph, why is this not an option?

Options
Hi There,

I am 5'2 and run at a steady pace of 4 to 4.5 mph, I just got back into running and am working on gaining speed but for now I"m very happy with this. The problem is how to record it, it's not even an option in the system. It shows 4 mph as walking, but I'm not walking - I'm running and it is a difference. Any thoughts or suggestions, please no comments on the fact that you think it's slow. We each go at our own pace. :smiley:

Rita

Replies

• yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    Why not record it at a faster speed but log fewer minutes?
  • Bhlinebee
    Bhlinebee Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I thought of doing that, but thought I'd ask first and see if I was just searching wrong in the system. Thanks for the suggestion!!
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    You could record half at 4 and half at 5.
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    As a fellow "slow" runner (my pace is usually between 4.5mph and 5mph) I've found it easiest to just put it in MFP as 5mph and adjust the calories it calculates to whatever my running app (Runkeeper and Nike+) tell me. I wouldn't rely on MFP's calculations for an accurate measurement since it doesn't take into account the distance you ran.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »

That'll work. The important number is the distance.
  • Bhlinebee
    Options
    notnikkisxx - do you list it as "walking 5mph" or "Running 5 mph"
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    yup slow runner here too! i adjust the calories to be about 1/3 less. i like to be on the safe side with exercise burn anyways
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Bhlinebee wrote: »
    notnikkisxx - do you list it as "walking 5mph" or "Running 5 mph"

I list it as running and fill in the calories burned manually.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I would do as suggested above and use another description with lower calories or I think you can enter your own custom exercise anyway. Its all just estimates anyway.
  • Bhlinebee
    Options
    Thanks everybody - great suggestions, seems like such a simple thing for MFP to fix in their exercise category.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »

This is what I would do too.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You could start with 7-8 calories per minute if you aren't struggling. That number works for me. (5'-4" running between 5.2 and 7mph)
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    You can add exercises.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The equation that estimates the energy cost of running are only accurate for speeds of 5.0 mph or above. There is nothing "wrong" with "running" at slower speeds, but there is too much biomechanical variability at those slower speeds to have one equation that fits everyone. As is often the case, what people perceive as a "flaw" in MFP is actually just an inherent part of the science. Look at it this way--now you have new motivation for increasing your speed. :)
  • MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Track your run with an app like mapmyrun or a Fitbit or GPS watch then enter your own exercise. There is an option to create your own exercise.
  • CADAVER0USB0N3S
    CADAVER0USB0N3S Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You can add a custom exercise.
  • Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I use an HRM.. so it really doesn't matter whether it's walking or running. The calories burned and the time is what matters
  • lavrn03
    lavrn03 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer for you but I jog at 4.5-5 MPH it's as fast as I can do.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I just log it as walking.
  • Bhlinebee
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! Such a smart community!!