Been calorie counting for 9 months, started lifting and felt my energy levels plummet...

Options
I've been on MFP for 284 days and have lost 94 pounds in 9 months. I still have a lot of weight to lose and started SL 5X5 to stave off problems with loose skin. I'm currently in my second week.

I have never felt so blah/meh/whatever this whole entire time. I'm really foggy and lethargic after I lift. I am hungry all the time now and I'm feeling my cheerfulness and motivation wane away.

I was wondering if any of you awesome people would take a peek at my open diary? I would love some food tips or any tips at all to help keep my energy up but also keep my weight loss on track.

I've also slowed down considerably in loss seen each week. I was averaging 10lbs/month, slowed down to 5lbs/month. I eat an average of 1400-1500 calories every day.

Bonus progress pic to show were I'm currently at!
jgtujfo86how.jpg

Replies

• slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    For some reason I am not able to see your diary, but have you increased your calories? Lifting can be seriously draining in a deficit. I would try adding just a couple of hundred calories and see how you feel. The small increase will not have a dramatic effect on your weight loss, but should have a dramatic effect on your sanity.

Assuming you are getting adequate protein already, I would definitely make those extra calories from carbs! Personally, I am always hungrier the day after I lift, and I like to save the extra calories for then. Also, since you are doing strong lifts, make sure that you follow the directions and started off very light. That's a pretty demanding beginners program.

As far as your weight-loss slowing down, I think that is normal when you lose a lot of weight. If you've noticed it even more in the two weeks since you started lifting, that is also normal as you will retain water. Someone else can probably explain that part better than I can.
  • semordnilap
    semordnilap Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I double checked my diary settings and should be open for anyone to view.

I'm kind of bummed that my weight is slowing down right before 200. I was kind of excited to get there, haha.
    I have not increased my calories at all. My brain has been screaming "FOOD, FOOD, FOOD" at me all this week and I'm scared my inner fat girl is trying to get loose again.
  • Rangjew
    Rangjew Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi- well done on your weigh loss so far! Amazing effort. From my experience sometimes when you plateau with weight loss it is usually caused by eating too much salt, not eating enough and not drinking enough water. I know sounds a bit counter-productive to eat more when you are trying to lose weight but the body does need the extra nutrients to restarts its processes and stop your muscles from eating themselves. I would suggest going into a bulking stage for a week or two. That is, eat clean and add about 100-250 more calories then you normally would through carbs and protein and minimise salt intake. By salt intake I don't mean to just stop adding salt on food, but to stop eating anything that is processed or that you didn't cook yourself. Many companies use salt as a flavour enhancer and preservative for their food. Cheese, sauces and anything that comes out of the box should be removed completely for just a little while until your body kick starts again. Also eat more carbs and more protein. Good carbs from veggies and proteins from vegetables, nuts and meats (turkey, chicken, beef, pork, tuna the list goes on) will give you the extra energy. Have something small to eat before you lift and have protein after to keep your energy up. You sound exhausted and a little bit of sweet potato and grilled fish with a scoop of ice cream afterwards will do your body and soul a lot of good. I hope this helps. There is a lot of literature available on the above points as well. Best of luck in your journey to meet your goals.
  • IvanOcampo
    IvanOcampo Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Why do your calories vary from day to day?
    Naturally if you're going to introduce something as taxing and draining as a 5x5 workout routine (which I highly recommend - it's a fantastic lifting program), your body is going to need a lot more energy as it's using up a lot more energy both while at the gym and during the rest of the day.

Similarly, the percentage of weight you need to loose will stabilise itself as you near your goal. The first 10 pounds will not require much effort as, basically, any change to your diet/exercise level will have an effect on your weight.
    The last 10 pounds will (seem) to require a lot more effort as you're already exercising and eating at a caloric deficit.

Calculate your calories and, if you're doing 5x5, make sure you're getting around .75 grams of protein per body pound, are eating around 20% fats, and the rest of carbs .. Your weight will look after itself.
    I'm always hungry when I lift heavy - particularly after squats day or deadlift day..
    I NEED to get some carbs in me before hitting the gym, and straight after.
    Try something similar?

Also, I notice you eat quest bars ..
    Yeah, they're delicious!! and a brilliant treat.
    Having said that, they're rather high in calories for something that's only 60 grams.
    Try changing this for whole foods - you can have a chunk of lean turkey breast and a plate full of steamed broccoli for similar macros, and you can be sure to fill a lot fuller after that....
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I am also doing 5x5 and I eat more than you do. Granted, I am only trying to lose that last 3-5 pounds, so my deficit will be smaller, but I really don't think 1400-1500 calories is enough. I try to net 1720.

Also, in my first few weeks of 5x5, my weight actually jumped up by 4 pounds and I couldn't get it to budge for about 5-6 weeks. Then my weight loss resumed its normal pace.
  • semordnilap
    Options
    Thank you for the replies, I really appreciate it. I don't know anyone IRL that is attempting to do the same thing I am and I've felt pretty lost for the past month or two.

I live in western North Dakota and my living arrangements have left me with no access to a kitchen. I do have two dorm fridges, a microwave and a rice cooker, haha. I've been pretty apprehensive about cooking but it looks like I'm going to have to get creative if I want to be serious about not being a fatty. I better dig that crock pot out of storage. I've been buying a lot of things that I just immediately eat from my work (hardboiled eggs, cottage cheese, fresh cut convenience fruits/vegetables, premade salads, etc).

I've read a lot of things online about not eating back your exercise calories. I think I've also fallen into "if I eat even less that means I'm doing better" mentality. I felt pretty anxious about eating over 1400 today but after I did, I felt so much better.

Do you guys have any tips on adjusting my calories on MFP or how I can incorporate lifting into my daily activities so it will adjust my calories automatically? I think I'm looking for a concrete calorie number to hit every day to feel truly comfortable.
  • slaite1
    Options
    Oh yea! Can't believe I forgot WATER. Drink a ton of it! You'd be shocked how much dehydration can drain your energy. And don't be scared of adding in more food! You've done awesome so far and you are doing everything right. You got this!
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    More carbs on lifting days helps a lot, and some chocolate right before a session also provides a bit more energy. I'll also echo that upping your calories is a good idea. Lifting is a very taxing activity, and you need more fuel for that kind of thing.

Rigger
  • slaite1
    Options
    Try the TDEE method. Google scoobys workshop, he has a calculator that is often recommended on here. The TDEE method takes into account your activity level + exercise so you will have a set number every day regardless of exercise. You do not eat back exercise calories. You can manually adjust your goal on MFP.

I use this method, and also base my calories on the weekly average rather than daily. This way if I'm hungrier one day, I can eat extra, and simply cut a little another day. It's really up to you how you approach it. But it does sound like a set calorie goal would be easiest for you, so I would go with TDEE.
  • awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I do IIFYM + macros over MFP's numbers, I think I would be starving otherwise. Managing my macros has been helping my lifting performance too than just counting calories. http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

When are you getting hungry? I get massively hungry the day after I lift, so I take some slow digesting protein the day I lift before bed, and the rest day I juggle to eat more protein whereas lift days I eat more carbs.

(hey, join us on SL 5x5 Ladies group on MFP too)
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    cant access your diary.
    i find 30 mins of strength training more draining than 2 hours of cardio.
    1 more protein
    2 rest day after strength training or just more recovery days.
    congrats on the huge loss so far.
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    Oh yea! Can't believe I forgot WATER. Drink a ton of it! You'd be shocked how much dehydration can drain your energy. And don't be scared of adding in more food! You've done awesome so far and you are doing everything right. You got this!

I agree on this, you also seem to be taking in a LOT of sodium which will also be dehydrating you like mad. In the UK the recommended limit for sodium is 2,400mg per day and you're going right up to that regularly as well as going over 3,000 a fair few times.
  • kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Strong Curves, and I drink one cup of 1% chocolate milk after each workout. It has a 4:1 ratio of carbs to fat that is supposed to be ideal as a recovery drink. Then about an hour later I eat a regular meal. I find that a recovery drink, within my calories for the day, helps a lot with my energy. I am exhausted the rest of the day if I don't have a recovery drink. You can buy recovery drinks with this ratio, but a lot of people just do the chocolate milk thing. It's freaking yummy!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    A simple way to adjust your calorie goal in MFP upward is to change your weight loss goal. Such as from 2/week to 1.5/week. Give yourself permission to eat them when you need to.

As to cooking options, if you live in a dorm setup space is limited of course. Look into getting an 'air fryer'. Got one for me & the family and we've been loving it for the last week. Takes little space, puts off a lot of hot air when in use, but heats/cools quickly. And can be used to cook almost anything. We've made store bought/frozen foods like chicken wings, fries. But I've also cooked from raw and/or frozen chicken breast, salmon, sweet potatoes, etc.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    When I first started doing Stronglifts, I felt the same way, very hungry and tired afterwards. It did level off, though, after I was doing the program for a few weeks. And don't be surprise if your loss stalls for a few weeks after starting. It's completely normal water retention.
  • semordnilap
    Options
    Great tips from everyone, I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.

I know that I consume a lot of sodium. I've been seduced by the convenience of prepackaged foods since I am terrible at cooking. I will definitely make an effort to make more of my meals and look into food prep. To cut down on sodium do I just need to move towards more fruits/vegetables and meat I cook myself?

I ate to 2100 calories last night and put myself to bed early. This helped immensely. It cleared my head and I don't feel as sore as I have on other lifting days. I will have to tweak my calories and find out what works for me. Some of you suggested that I eat some carbs before and after lifting. What kind of carbs does this entail? Fruit? Breads? Certain vegetables?