knee ligament tear, need advice

Options
Last Tuesday, 4/15, I tore ligament to my knee while on a fishing trip. Had xray next day. Had been doing the RICE until I could bear weight again then slacked off. Haven't been using treadmill but have used the stationary bike for short periods. Was brave & played 3 games of bowling yesterday. Last night was in immense pain so reverted back to the RICE, leg brace & ibuprofen.
Any suggestions for exercise & to keep from gaining back weight I already lost? I was hoping to compete in a mini marathon this spring/summer wah :'(
Thanks for any advice

Replies

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Which ligament?

I'll add that if you have torn knee ligaments doing any activity that involves that knee isn't brave, it's dangerous and risking even more damage to an already injured knee.

What did the doctor say regarding the injury?
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight by controlling your calorie intake.
    I've got a broken fibula and can't do much of anything.

The doctor should have told you to give it time to heal.
    You're doing yourself more damage and prolonging the process by continuing to exercise.
  • SunflowerCat74
    SunflowerCat74 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    bostonwolf wrote: »
    Which ligament?

I'll add that if you have torn knee ligaments doing any activity that involves that knee isn't brave, it's dangerous and risking even more damage to an already injured knee.

What did the doctor say regarding the injury?

Yes, what did the doctor say? If you have a torn ligament, PT is definitely in order to help rehab the injury. At the very least!
  • Edwardshar
    Edwardshar Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    which ligament? When is your surgery?
  • Milliepet
    Milliepet Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Urgent care Dr said there wasn't anything wrong he could see but the Xray Dr showed him a tear. They didn't agree on this. The 'pop' followed by immediate pain was behind & on lateral side of left knee. I have a follow up appt. on Friday with my personal physician & have been doing some research until them. A lateral collateral tear describes my pain to a "T". Dr did give me a leg brace, crutches & Percocet. I'm finally being able to put weight on the leg for a time. Last night I couldn't sleep from the pain, got up & did the RICE & took some ibuprofen, put the brace on & was able to sleep a bit after an hour
  • kcrkcs
    kcrkcs Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Stop screwing around until you see your doctor. I doubt that they were able to correctly diagnose much if anything from an x-ray. That is what they use MRIs for. Mulitiple knee ligament tear veteran here, and my hubs just had his ACL replaced, and MCL, LCL repaired so we have been down this path a number of times. You aren't doing yourself any favors adding additional strain, until you know what specifically is wrong. Then if it is torn either surgery or getting really strong are your options.
  • Milliepet
    Milliepet Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    TY kcrks. That is what I was thinking myself