Desparate to lose. Meal plans

Options
I am considering a weight lost food plan like Jenny Craig or Nutrasystem. Jenny Craig was 180.00 more for a four seek plan The Jenny Craig rep stated their food was superior.. I thought these plans might be a jump start to weight lost.

Has anyone used these food plans? I love to cook and do not think I would be happy with frozen foods as the main source of my meals.

Replies

• misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    You love to cook? Great first step!

You don't need to spend your money on these plans.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I tried some of the Nutrisystem food and it wasn't very good. Frozen dinners from the grocery store taste better. I've never tried anything from Jenny Craig.

My unprofessional opinion is that if you like to cook, you should get a couple of "Healthy Cooking" cookbooks and learn how to turn this skill you have into a positive! There are cookbooks with recipes on how to make comfort foods lighter too. Or if there is something high calorie you love to make, let's say Mac & Cheese, google "Lighter mac and cheese recipes" and start trying them out.

The problem with these meal plans is that even if you stick to it and lose some weight,you will eventually go off the plan and go right back to eating the way that caused you to gain the weight. So you'll do yourself a favor to figure out now, how to eat for the rest of your life.

You can do it - lots of people here have! Good luck!
  • sharan_v_garry
    sharan_v_garry Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I spent today going through my cookbooks found several recipes that sound taste and low on crabs and fat. I am going to reduce or eliminate the salt and sugar.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Try the Skinnytaste website. Lots of great recipes there!
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Cook meals, count the calories, divide them up (even barbecue!), and freeze them. No sense in wasting hundreds of dollars on anything else unless you are constantly buying healthy food then letting it all expire because you aren't eating it.
  • folgers86
    folgers86 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    If you love to cook, then I wouldn't do either. I use Nutrisystem most days and supplement with homemade meals (I don't like cooking and don't usually have the time). There are a lot of foods on Nutrisystem that I don't like, but there are just enough that I could honestly eat for every meal every day and be just fine. But any sort of pre-made meal is going to taste very differently than homemade (Nutrisystem's marinara sauce used on their pastas, for instance, reek of sodium to my tastebuds even if it is "within healthy limits"), so unless time or culinary enthusiasm is a factor, don't bother. Instead I would just focus on calorie counting, measuring, weighing, etc. As long as you're diligent, you'll get to the same place in the same amount of time. Meal plans like Nutrisystem are more about convenience.