Mid 40s dad in desk job looking to get fit again

Options
Hi everyone.
I'm a dad, married with 4 young kids, and I work at a desk job. So much different than my past life. I used to be very active as a strength trainer in a physio clinic, and prior to that years as a bike messenger. I was very fit.
But age, diet, and a sedentary job are taking their toil. I'm about 30-40 pounds heavier than I was 5 years ago, and I just don't have energy at the end of my days.
I'd like to say I am fairly fit (at least from a heart/lungs perspective) compared to many my own age, but the 30-40 extra pounds is hard to haul around when I get out mountain biking. I usually ride once a week, but I need to ramp it up to 3 times a week and be consistent.
I have many reasons to be taking my health more seriously. My kids, improve my life expectancy & quality of life, and I'd love to feel the spark my wife had for me when I was much more attractive and super fit. Better shape, better diet, better mood, better relationships. I know all the benefits of doing it, but need the motivation and encouragement to make this life style change stick.

Replies

• ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Although I am only in my late 20's, I can see and feel the effects of having a desk job vs. working at a gym in college.

I got a Fitbit two weeks ago, and realized how little I move during the day. It has really helped me motivate myself to get moving, walk more around work, do whatever I can to get to that goal. Something like this may be helpful, along with meal prepping and daily exercise. Every little bit counts!
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Having a desk job is a blessing and a curse. I stand up and move every hour and....work out five mornings a week. I bring my food from home and do NOT indulge in the food that shows up in the office. omg. no.
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I gained (no joke) 20lbs the first year of my desk job. Luckily, I decided to get a handle on it before things got too far gone. It's been hard to make changes, but I've had to seriously cut back on going out to lunch with my co-workers, I try to get up from my desk and go on mini-walks as much as possible, and bring my own healthy snacks for the days I'm in the snacking mood.
  • bearded_mountain_goat
    Options
    I read somewhere that desk jobs are the new age version of smoking. Luckily I don't smoke, but sitting on my butt isn't doing me any favours. haha. I need to do a better job of bringing healthier lunches to work, though I don't have the $$ to eat out most of the time anyways! If I did, I'm sure I'd be approaching 250 pounds. Ugh.
    I've been at a desk job now for 13 years. It sure drains me. I had much more energy and a fresher mind when I rode my bike 9 hours a day than now!
  • Lawloss
    Lawloss Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Not only do I have a desk job but we recently went "green" and almost paperless. That means where as I used to have to walk across the office many times a day to access files and printers, now everything is just on my computer. I really have to remember to get up and walk around. Green is good for trees but not for me!
  • bklyngal72
    bklyngal72 Posts: 42 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have employees that wear ankle weights and do leg lifts at the office. That might help. For me it's hard to get away from my desk since I am a supervisor but do my workout on my treadmill at home
  • bearded_mountain_goat
    Options
    Lots of good ideas. I do need to get out of the building at lunches. I usually work through my lunch.
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I try to drink a ton of water throughout the day. That means I'm FORCED to go to the bathroom a lot! LOL. So when I have to get up, I try to walk to the farthest restroom. I have a former co-worker who used to set his calendar to pop up a reminder to get up every hour. So he'd stand at his cube and do squats for a minute. I don't know if that would work for me because I'd end up snoozing the reminder. haha.
  • bearded_mountain_goat
    Options
    LOL!
    My challenge isn't so much getting exercise while I work, as I know this isn't really an option. I sweat pretty easy, and it is always so damn warm where I work. For me, it is talking myself out of going out mountain biking late in the evening. I've been pretty good the last two weeks. Last week I rode three time, and this week so far twice. Once I get in a bit better shape, I'm hoping I have more energy as my day is winding down.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. Caloric deficit for weight loss. As far as the desk job, try running stairs at lunch and parking further away from the office. It's the little things. On the weekends, get your family moving with you. The little ones would love the park and little hikes. You've got this!