Do you use heart rate to aid your weight training?

Options
I'm wondering who has success with this idea that you base your rest time between sets based on heart rate. Is this more efficient?

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    It sounds like an interesting theory, but I’ve never seen a study that covers this. Whereas I’ve seen several studies that cover rest periods from 30 seconds - 5 minutes. I’ll stick with my 90 - 180 rest periods.
  • snowy0wl
    snowy0wl Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    The polar FT80 offers this a feature that is specifically addresses this. Many older old polar watches support Training load and is said to help know when you are under or over training and ready for races. There center piece has always been heart rate monitoring and the associated calorie burn and associated stress.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I’ve heard of heart rate variability being used to identify over-training, but not direct heart rate. I get the theory behind what you’re saying, I just think you’re focused on the 2% versus the big picture. Beyond getting out of the gym before I do, what benefit is there to knowing 2 1/2 minutes was enough rest between deadlift sets and I’m taking 3 minutes?
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I use a HR monitor (MS Band) during my workouts to track HR and Calorie burn (understanding it's inflated). Afterwards, I can see see how my HR changed throughout my workout. More informational now than anything.

Rests are built into each of my workout routines as part of my progressive overload game-plan (i.e. more reps, more weight, or less rest).

I generally want to get as much cardio out of my weight workouts as possible, so limit rest to 1 minute for all exercises except the big one like Deadlift and Squats. So my goal is to keep my HR elevated as much of my 1 hour workout as possible.

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    You may be overthinking this.
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I've used this approach for interval training, but not weight training. For weight training for strength, I use 2-3 minutes between sets.