Ketonic Diet

Options
My doctor has put me on the Ketonic Diet, I haven't actually really started it yet, I am kind of putting it off which is the story of my life I think. I am supposed to eat 500 calories of Protein a day for the first week, and that's it. I am worried that this will put me in to starvation mode. Has anybody tried this before and if so what kind of success have you had? Any advice here?

Replies

• ltf304
    ltf304 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Your medical doctor put you on this?? Why did they put you on this diet?
  • KendraElmendorf
    KendraElmendorf Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Do you have epilepsy? That is mainly what this diet helps treat. If i'm thinking of the right diet...

Ketogenic Diet?

The ketogenic diet is a high-fat, adequate-protein, low-carbohydrate diet that in medicine is used primarily to treat difficult-to-control (refractory) epilepsy. The diet mimics aspects of starvation by forcing the body to burn fats rather than carbohydrates.
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Your Doctor chose this for a reason....I would at least give it a try! What have you got to lose? Nothing ventured nothing gained!
  • jmmccall
    jmmccall Posts: 19
    Options
    Yeah she said they have researched it and that it's the best diet they have found for weight loss. I have looked it up myself and seen that it is used for a couple of things one of them being weight loss in adults. But I don't know anybody who has actually done it. I am supposed to monitor my ketones and when I am in ketosis I can start adding some low carb vegtables. She is monitoring me pretty closely I am supposed to go back in two weeks. I would just feel better if I had some advise from others.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    My doctor has put me on the Ketonic Diet, I haven't actually really started it yet, I am kind of putting it off which is the story of my life I think. I am supposed to eat 500 calories of Protein a day for the first week, and that's it. I am worried that this will put me in to starvation mode. Has anybody tried this before and if so what kind of success have you had? Any advice here?

No, you won't go into starvation mode. It takes longer than 1 week to go into starvation mode.

I am currently on a ketogenic plan.

Check out www.marksdailyapple.com as it is ketogenic but your eating way more than 500 calories per day.
  • jmmccall
    Options
    I don't have epilepsy. In my research I have seen that it is used in kids with epilepsy and seizure disorders alot.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options

I wouldn't do that for more than a couple of days. It can take as little as 72 hours for starvation mode to kick in. You should try intermittent fasting. There are numerous ways to do it. I know what ketones are (the body's fourth fuel!) so I know what he is trying to do - put your body into ketosis - but there are healthier ways to do it. I think you should try IF instead. There are numerous ways to fast. Unfortunately, nutrition isn't covered very well in medical school. I started off my Primal lifestyle with a 26 hour fast and I felt amazing.

If you want to put your body into ketosis try giving yourself the calorie deficit but eating only protein AND HEALTHY FATS. Do some reading on MarksDailyApple - check out the Carbohydrate curve. I hit 120lbs and 5'2" then started this and I have dropped another 4lbs and it's all body fat - no muscle loss what so ever. Primal eating is a low to moderate carb (no grains or refined sugars)/moderate protein/high- fat diet.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-intermittent-fasting/
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    It was originally used for epilepsy. People use it all the time now for dieting. Put simply, your body will use something called "ketones" for fuel instead of glucose.

Once you've started eating <100 carbs are a day, you are pretty much in ketosis, to some degree.

This is by no means a requirement, but it can be beneficial to some. If low carb works for you, that's great. Just make sure you are eating enough protein and stick to your target caloric level.
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    it sounds like dr atkins a low carb diet with lean meat yes it really works but like any diet you have to stick to it
  • hpsnickers1
    Options
    Yeah she said they have researched it and that it's the best diet they have found for weight loss. I have looked it up myself and seen that it is used for a couple of things one of them being weight loss in adults. But I don't know anybody who has actually done it. I am supposed to monitor my ketones and when I am in ketosis I can start adding some low carb vegtables. She is monitoring me pretty closely I am supposed to go back in two weeks. I would just feel better if I had some advise from others.

Ask her about the Primal/Paleo diet. She is kind of describing it. Starts out with zero carbs for ketosis to kick in - for weight loss. But I still think 500 calories for a week is way too low. And you can eat some carbs (no fruits).
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    are you in hospital? as far as I know that is the only safe way to do something so extreme. You can destroy your kidneys.
    regardless of whether you are diabetic or not read this, at least the chapter on ketoacidocis or "keytoning" it describes the perrils to the body very well. http://www.diabetes-book.com/book/chapter1.shtml

If you are diabetic, find out if you can have Byetta and if your insurance will cover it. It will help you avoid the weight gain associated w/taking insulin. In some cases it will even help you drop weight. It did me.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Here is a very well-written, informative blog about how low-carb (ketonic) diets work and what changes it induces in your body. The blog is *not* anti-low-carb, but it does state that the author (a well-respected MFP member) believes that people should be fully informed if they choose such diets.

http://bankshealth.wordpress.com/2011/03/29/low-carb-diets/
  • deverez
    deverez Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    There is nothing unhealthy about a ketogenic diet.

You will not go into the so-called 'starvation mode'.
  • rachpiper720
    rachpiper720 Posts: 204
    Options
    Hey! I haven't been as low as 500 calories, but my experience cutting out everything but meat, veggies, and very little fruit has been great! I don't get hungry as quick, cravings go away, and when I do get hungry I am not climbing up with walls. I actually have forgotten to eat before and can tend to keep my calories around 1500-1800. It has been great for me because I am hypoglycemic, have fibromyalgia, and I think I was well on my way to metabolic syndrome. Since I have switched to a high fat, medium protien, low carb, most of those problems have fallen by the way side. Admittedly, the first couple days were the hardest because I still craved the sugar and carbs, but after that passed, my energy skyrocketed and cravings went away.

Also, ketosis and ketoacidosis are different, and ketoacidosis is dangerous. Ketosis is fine, although drink A LOT of water and have sugar-free gum on hand! Good luck!
  • nickyevans
    nickyevans Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Don't want to be rude but I would trust my GP over a bunch of well meaning people on MFP... I have a lot of respect for the support and love on MFP but I would still trust my GP more for medical advice.
  • jmmccall
    Options
    Thank you all very much for your advice. I am going to give it a try and check out all the websites you all have given me. Thanks again!
  • hpsnickers1
    Options

No, you won't go into starvation mode. It takes longer than 1 week to go into starvation mode.

Check out www.marksdailyapple.com as it is ketogenic but your eating way more than 500 calories per day.

I stand corrected. I would trust this person's advice. She rocks!
  • Grokette
    Options

:love: :love: :love:

Thank You!!!
  • hpsnickers1
    Options

:love: :love: :love:

Thank You!!!

You are very welcome. Parts of me are still trying to stay connected to CW but I'm learning fast!!!
  • Grokette
    Options
    Thank you all very much for your advice. I am going to give it a try and check out all the websites you all have given me. Thanks again!

Here is my bit of advice.........I was going to send you a private message, but someone else may read it and benefit from it also........

For 2 weeks eat meat, fats and green vegetables in abundance. Don't pay attention to the calories. Ditch the dairy, fruit, grains for 2 weeks....... Drink lots of water, tea and black coffee. Stay away from the sweeteners.

Your calorie consumption may be over 500 calories per day, but everything you eat will be from natural sources.

Use some balsamic vinegar or Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar and some Coconut Oil or Olive Oil for dressing, add a bit of basil, salt, pepper and you have a tasty and natural salad dressing if you decide to eat salads.