My secret to weight loss

Options
alex215
alex215 Posts: 518 Member
So I get asked quite frequently "how did you lose all that weight?". People seem to be amazed that i have lost over 100lbs and pretty much consistently kept off about 80 to 90lbs of that weight for that past 5 years.

So i tell them losing weight is rather easy. Then they wait for me to say i took some magic pill or ate some pre packaged meal plan or shake, but nope, i tell them; Its easy "eat less and move more" there you go, know you hold the secret to weight loss.

At this point they usually insist it cant be that "easy"... Ok, so i tell them the real truth... it is that easy! All it takes is "hard work". this is usually followed by their awkward or blank stare at this oxymoron.

I then give them a simple piece of advice; find a physical activity that is hard to do but that you "LOVE" to do, it could be anything, basket ball, racquetball, jogging, hiking, even walking ( you have to start somewhere!) What ever this activity is just make sure you do it consistently.

My "Love" is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and thanks to BJJ I have made my weight loss "easy" and all it takes is "hard work"

Replies

• hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Mine was a spin class twice a week.
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Eat Less Move more I love that!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Great post. I love the advice of finding an activity that you enjoy. I've discovered over the last year that I enjoy running (which I used to hate!) ... such activities provide the opportunity for non-scale-related goals, which I think are critical for approaching weight loss with a healthy mindset - it shouldn't be all about the scale.
  • dcbaby9
    dcbaby9 Posts: 14
    Options
    I'm gonna try swim aerobics 3 times per week. Thanks for the "secret"
  • JatieKo621
    JatieKo621 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    You are so right. I lost 50+ pounds just by cutting out soda, fast food, and I biked everyday for 30-60 minutes. People seriously thought I was lying when I said that is all I did, but it wasn't a lie.

And still people insisted I either took a pill, starved myself, or was on drugs-that I couldn't lose weight as quickly as I did by just those simple steps. But I did, and I am proof that its not as hard as it may seem. You just have to be committed.
  • superjae5
    superjae5 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Mine's Kung Fu. You're totally right. Easy to stay in shape if you exercise doing something you love. I never exercised when it was a workout video or a treadmill at the gym or running as an option.

I'd add a little caveat to the eat less, at least eat less junk in addition to eating less. I was amazed to see the calorie difference in some foods vs. others and that I can still get full and be satisfied while consuming less calories.

But I'm glad you posted this. 100% true.
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    So basically, the secret is, "There is no secret!" :smile: Thanks for this!
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKs0oEIVOck
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I think you're confusing "simple" and "easy".....

Simple = implies more of a concept that isn't difficult to understand
    easy = implies an action that is not difficult to do

Which would explain the blank stares.
  • alex215
    Options
    So basically, the secret is, "There is no secret!" :smile: Thanks for this!

the secret is "eat less and move more" but shhh only share it with those who are serious about changing their life
  • kenlad64
    kenlad64 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Yes a great post and great advice for everyone. Too bad you could single-handedly bring down the billion dollar weight loss industry if this secret gets out....better watch your back for awhile, ... LOL .... :)
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Ditto. I was asked yesterday what my "secret" was. I said exercising 5 times a week. No one seems to want that answer!
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I find it funny that others think it magically happens by some "secret". I think I'm tired of telling other people that it takes dedication and hardwork...so I think I'm gonna tell them I eat lots and lots of doughnuts. Thats the secret! LOL.
  • alex215
    Options
    I think you're confusing "simple" and "easy".....

Simple = implies more of a concept that isn't difficult to understand
    easy = implies an action that is not difficult to do

Which would explain the blank stares.

i see your point...and i agree "simple" would make more sense...but oh well, i am sure i still get my point across.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    ...I think I'm gonna tell them I eat lots and lots of doughnuts. Thats the secret! LOL.

Man, I wish that really was the secret!
  • inktink
    inktink Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Ditto. I was asked yesterday what my "secret" was. I said exercising 5 times a week. No one seems to want that answer!

I know what you mean, everyone wants to hear "oh well, I eat everything out of a cardboard box thats picked and planned for me and then I sit on the coach watching swamp people with my hand down my pants.."

Lol. At least they are asking though, thats the first part of the journey, finding out what works for others!!
  • missfitp
    missfitp Posts: 33 Member
    Options

HAHAHA I agree with you nobody wants to hear this. Everyone who asks me I tell them I work out 6 times a week and they tell me I'm crazy. I was a skeptic of the "SECRET" too for a long time until I tried it.
  • inktink
    inktink Posts: 135 Member
    Options

HAHAHA I agree with you nobody wants to hear this. Everyone who asks me I tell them I work out 6 times a week and they tell me I'm crazy. I was a skeptic of the "SECRET" too for a long time until I tried it.

It's craaaaaaazy how well the secret works :P
  • PoppyinBoulder
    Options
    Eat less, Move more - that's my motto!
  • alex215
    Options
    Eat less, Move more - that's my motto!

it's a good motto to have!