Little to No Meal-Prep Time

Options
13»

Replies

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Crockpots are your best friend right now. Make up things like chili, meat sauce, breakfast casserole, pulled pork. I absolutely love a microwaved sweet potato topped with pulled pork and cheddar cheese. Russet potatoes microwaved aka baked topped with chili is another great lunch meal.

I also make up black beans in the crockpot, with your schedule you could soak them while away from home all day, get home at night, rinse and then add fresh water and cook overnight, they'll be all ready to roll in the morning for you to pack into containers.

Thanks for the reminder...I need to get cooking on some black beans. So simple to do and handy to have on hand. :) So versatile for salads or to toss in recipes.
  • Hearts_2015
    edited March 2015
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    If you like the frozen meals, try Amy's - there's a 'light & lean' set of dishes that are really tasty and much more substantial than Lean Cuisine or WW meals.
    - Agreed on Amy's..bit higher priced but as SofaKing6 shared... much more substantial and very good choices and if you can only eat 1/2 you can save the rest for a later meal. I've never had one I didn't like of the Amy's brand.

Oh, I didn't realize they had 'light and lean'. I'll have to check it out, think I've only had her regular frozen.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    If you like the frozen meals, try Amy's - there's a 'light & lean' set of dishes that are really tasty and much more substantial than Lean Cuisine or WW meals.
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    busseybl wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I make big pots of food at the weekend, it takes an hour and most of that is just simmering ..

I then keep it in Tupperware or freeze it

Recent big cook jobs which give me lunches across the week and some dinners all around 3-400 calories

Salmon fish cakes (I have about 30 frozen) - eat with a salad or in a sandwich
    big veggie stew, precook rice and grate cheese .. 100g rice, 500g stew, 10g cheddar
    Squash risotto with bagged salad greens
    Chicken cacciatore (again with the rice and salad)
    Spinach, squash and feta, potato topped pie and salad

Etc

Squash Risotto sounds amazing... *drool*

Maybe I'll start using my crockpot more frequently... I saw a Pinterest Board with crockpot recipes.

1 butternut squash
    2 tsp light olive oil
    1200ml stock
    1 small onion, finely chopped
    3 celery stick, finely chopped
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    1 bay leaf
    2 tsp dried thyme
    250g risotto rice (we like carnaroli)
    fry light
    Salt and pepper

I adapted this http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/13012/simple-squash-risotto

Use fry light on the roast squash and salt and pepper
    Add 2tsp oil to nonstick pan after softening onion and celery in a bit of the stock before throwing in the rice
    It really doesn't need the wine, extra butter or extra oil or even cheese cos it's yummy

Makes 16 lots of 100g (90 cals per 100g) 350g is a decent lunch and about 300 calories -keeps a week in Tupperware in fridge

@rabbitjb Thanks for the share, you Rock :)
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Week nights, I put frozen veggies in pyrex with frozen protein (chicken tenders, "chicken tenders," frozen fish) or a tuna/salmon pouch. I store them in the fridge overnight and pack them up in the morning. I microwave on power level 7. All nice and moist. It's just dumping stuff in a bowl.

Great idea! I do something very similar but add grains and beans.

Seriously, a couple hours of prep on a Sunday and you can have meals for weeks!

Cook some brown rice or quinoa (20 mins)
    Bake boneless skinless chicken breasts with various spices (30 mins)
    Chop and sautee whatever veggies you like (or use frozen for even less time)
    Open some cans of beans (black, red, chickpeas)

Chop up the chicken and then measure chicken, rice/quinoa, beans, and veggies into Ziploc baggies or tupperware containers and stick in the freezer. These make what I like to call "Yum Bowls" of healthy deliciousness!

Just put in a bowl and microwave. I like to dump it on top of fresh salad greens. Add hot sauce or other seasonings if you like.

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    definitely check out crock pot recipes- throw stuff in in the morning and dinner is served when you get home. Most crock pot stuff makes great leftovers too so next days lunch just needs to be thrown in tupperware.

(I am a big chicken eater) - slow cook a big batch of chicken one day a week (if you have to leave it in for a really long time I have found that not thawing it, just throwing it in the pot frozen helps keep it from over cooking and drying out.) I shred it and keep it in the fridge, then its handy to throw on salads, in wraps, make chicken salad for a sandwich, throw together a pot pie, or anything else fun you can think of.

ground turkey is cheaper than beef where I live right now, and I like it because its lower fat, I really like it in tacos, or enchilada casserole (found this gem online and love it, it also tastes good as leftovers - brown 1 lb meat - i use turkey - mix with 1 10 oz can of enchilada sauce, put 8 biscuts (the refrigerated ones out of the can) in a baking pan, pour the meat/sauce over it and bake for 35 mins 350. Top with cheese and bake another 10 mins)

Try to use your sunday the best you can. I buy a bunch of veggies when I grocery shop and chop them all up afterwards and bag them into servings/snack packs so when I am packing my lunch I just can grab stuff and throw it in my lunch box.
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    Crockpots are your best friend right now. Make up things like chili, meat sauce, breakfast casserole, pulled pork. I absolutely love a microwaved sweet potato topped with pulled pork and cheddar cheese. Russet potatoes microwaved aka baked topped with chili is another great lunch meal.

I also make up black beans in the crockpot, with your schedule you could soak them while away from home all day, get home at night, rinse and then add fresh water and cook overnight, they'll be all ready to roll in the morning for you to pack into containers.

Thanks for the reminder...I need to get cooking on some black beans. So simple to do and handy to have on hand. :) So versatile for salads or to toss in recipes.

Well finally picked up my black beans to soak and cook. lol

Also posting so this it'll get a bump for those looking for meal prep ideas ;)
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Week nights, I put frozen veggies in pyrex with frozen protein (chicken tenders, "chicken tenders," frozen fish) or a tuna/salmon pouch. I store them in the fridge overnight and pack them up in the morning. I microwave on power level 7. All nice and moist. It's just dumping stuff in a bowl.

Great idea! I do something very similar but add grains and beans.

Seriously, a couple hours of prep on a Sunday and you can have meals for weeks!

Cook some brown rice or quinoa (20 mins)
    Bake boneless skinless chicken breasts with various spices (30 mins)
    Chop and sautee whatever veggies you like (or use frozen for even less time)
    Open some cans of beans (black, red, chickpeas)

Chop up the chicken and then measure chicken, rice/quinoa, beans, and veggies into Ziploc baggies or tupperware containers and stick in the freezer. These make what I like to call "Yum Bowls" of healthy deliciousness!

Just put in a bowl and microwave. I like to dump it on top of fresh salad greens. Add hot sauce or other seasonings if you like.
    Love the name!!! :)
  • ksousa2
    ksousa2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    Honestly, when its a priority...it becomes a priority. You could get up early. You could go to bed later. You could skip one gym session to prep food. You could take some weekend time. If none of these are something you're willing to consider, then maybe begin to consider that you may not be ready yet. Which is ok! Be realistic, is all.

Great advice!!! loved it.
  • 85kurtz
    85kurtz Posts: 276 Member
    Options

Be a full-time Project Manager and a full-time Master's student at the same time while trying to plan a wedding and you will see what I mean. My days are jam-packed.

I'm not asking for time to meal-prep, I'm asking for alternatives. Thanks![/quote]

I understand your pain being super busy. It makes it very hard. What I do is cook a bigger than normal meal for dinner and freeze the leftovers. I know that you may think "I don't want to eat for lunch what I had for dinner, that is so boring". But you can do this a few times, keep on with you Lean Cuisines too so that you have a stock of frozen meals. Then if you have a stock of them when the research gets really heavy, you grab one include a pre-made salad or some more veggies and there you have it!
  • danika2point0
    danika2point0 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I keep a little store of things at work in the fridge...hummus, pita, fruit, yogurt, cheese. No prep involved at all! Good luck!