burn fat

Options
can anyone recommend a good workout programme to help burn fat

Replies

• Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    One that elevates your heart rate that you enjoy doing and will do consistently.

Bike, jog, walk, hike, row, paddle skate, swim. Ect.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    lifting heavy weights. Also builds muscle, which burns more calories at rest.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Any exercise that you will stick with while maintaining a negative calorie balance.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Eat real food.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    Eat real food.

I didn't know that was an exercise. Woo HOO.

Op. Anything you enjoy and will stick too is best.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Any exercise that you will stick with while maintaining a negative calorie balance.

This^

Exercise is just part of the equation (a smaller part). You can eat less and/or move more.

Finding something you like to do will help you be consistent.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Eat real food.

Lol. Tell me what "fat burning" magical workout burns fat better than a healthy diet. I'll wait...
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm so tired of seeing such unhelpful responses to questions.
    People telling her to eat less are assuming that she isn't already doing that and that wasn't her question.
    Telling her to pick something she likes doesn't really help either.

She is looking for some ideas on workouts.

OP- check out fitnessblender.com they have tons of workout videos (all free) in a variety of categories. Just pick something that looks interesting to start. You will see some are specifically designed for fat burning.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    CM9178 wrote: »

Ask vague questions, you will get silly answers. "Burning fat" is a simplification of the process of utilizing your excess energy storage as fuel. Technically all exercise "burns fat" - so pretty much anything. Even "existing" is enough to burn fat if you eat at a deficit, no exercise required.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    Eat real food.

Lol. Tell me what "fat burning" magical workout burns fat better than a healthy diet. I'll wait...

Lol

Your real food answer is stupid. 'Real' food eaten in excess will cause weight gain. Real food doesn't magically burn fat, not to mention she asked about exercise.

It's actually a calorie deficit that causes weight loss. This is done through food (all food not just 'real' food) and can be helped along by exercise.

Any exercise will help burn fat and it doesn't matter what she does. But something she enjoys and sticks to will be the best 'fat burning'

• Iron_Feline
    Options
    People telling her to eat less are assuming that she isn't already doing that and that wasn't her question.

OP- check out fitnessblender.com they have tons of workout videos (all free) in a variety of categories. Just pick something that looks interesting to start. You will see some are specifically designed for fat burning.

All exercise will burn fat in a calorie deficit. Telling her to find something she enjoys is truly the best advice.
  • englishmermaid
    englishmermaid Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    bostonwolf wrote: »
    lifting heavy weights. Also builds muscle, which burns more calories at rest.

I didn't know that, that's good to know :)
  • Kiku10
    Kiku10 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Zumba is supposed to burn a lot of calories. I've never done it.
    All my friends say weight training.
  • ceruleanmuse
    ceruleanmuse Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Sprint training / HIITs. Sprint for 45 seconds and run for a minute. Repeat until you can't. Shouldn't be more than ten minutes, or you're not sprinting.

This preserves muscle mass while burning fat.

Tabata and the seven minute workout are variations on HIITs.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Every exercise burns calories. What do you like to do and think you can do for a while? There is never one answer that fits everyone.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    The misconception here is that certain exercises burn fat. Exercise burns calories.

To burn fat, you need a calorie deficit. Exercise isn't needed. Exercise helps to achieve a calorie deficit.

Fat is burned at REST. Exercise burns glycogen before even resorting to fat stores and it takes a good amount of high effort over a duration of time (about 1.5 hour or more) for that to really happen. So ideally what you want is a program that you can do that raises your RMR (resting metabolic rate).

These will usually be high intensity training programs like HIIT, sprints, heavy weight lifting, explosive sports, etc.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

How is sending someone to a website to checkout videos any different from advising her to pick something she likes?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    The misconception here is that certain exercises burn fat. Exercise burns calories.

To burn fat, you need a calorie deficit. Exercise isn't needed. Exercise helps to achieve a calorie deficit.

Fat is burned at REST. Exercise burns glycogen before even resorting to fat stores and it takes a good amount of high effort over a duration of time (about 1.5 hour or more) for that to really happen. So ideally what you want is a program that you can do that raises your RMR (resting metabolic rate).

These will usually be high intensity training programs like HIIT, sprints, heavy weight lifting, explosive sports, etc.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Such good advice is worth repeating

...and repeating

...and repeating

...and quoting ;)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

How is sending someone to a website to checkout videos any different from advising her to pick something she likes?

I think 'find something you like' is the best answer to this question. It was the one that got me working on exercise and fitness after countless failures after joining a gym and hating it. The TRUTH, being that there is no one exercise to burn fat, that fat is burned through a calorie deficit and the working out is for fitness and recomp, is what the OP and anyone else reading this thread really needs to know.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

It is actually way more limiting, which does not sound like a good thing. I love exercising, but if you forced me to look at workout videos and they copy them, this sounds like my idea of exercise hell and would be the best way to make me never do any workout again. Exercise is not the same as copying a video promising fat loss, which is what CM9178 seems to believe. It certainly is one way to approach this, but just one out of thousands.
    ashleigharmour if you are still reading, really it is as simple as doing whatever sounds like fun, especially at such a young age! The possibilities are endless: walk, hike, run, cycle, swim, dance, play basketball, voleyball, tennis, look into martial arts, get Zumba lessons, lift weights, do yoga... What does sound like fun?