Getting in the Habit of Being Healthy

Options
So after years of being depressed and gaining more and more weight (my heaviest being at 162 pounds, though I am down to 155 at this moment), I think I may have made a breakthrough, if you will.

I have been seeing various therapists/psychiatrists for over a decade. I am only 20, but trust me, I needed it; still need it, for that matter. Anyway, I recently got a new therapist. He suggested for my weight loss goals that I start exercising just ten minutes a day. Obviously, this isn't going to get me into shape, but the point is to get me in the habit and gradually work my way up by starting from a ridiculously small amount so I can ease into it.

Has anyone else tried this method? Has it worked for you? If not, what does?

Replies

• pixelatedsun
    pixelatedsun Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    The biggest hurdle is diet. If you exercise 10 minutes a day and eat nothing but large pizzas, you're not going to see any positive benefits.

I think 10 minutes a day is a great jumping-off point, but focus more on what you're eating! Just start logging your food on here faithfully every day - even if you don't exercise one bit, meeting your calorie goals will still lose weight.
  • rosestring
    rosestring Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I don't even think just ten minutes of walking is enough for any weight loss regimen, unless it is combined with another form of more intense exercise!

Still, eating healthy is a huge hurdle, too. Especially when I am in a constant state of trying to avoid home (bad home life situation). Anyone have any ideas on how to keep up with eating a healthy diet? Do you fully restrict one thing at a time? For example, no pastries, fried foods, etc.
  • hoovified
    hoovified Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different but I'd say most would agree with me when I say fully restricting things is a bad idea. MFP will give a certain amount of calories to eat depending on different factors about you and how much you want to lose in a weeks time (you should make sure you are picking a healthy weight loss amount, don't expect to lose 2 pounds a week if you only have 10 pounds to lose, for example). What you do with those calories is up to you, but you should do something you will be able to maintain for the rest of your life, otherwise you will just gain it back. I don't have donuts or pastries or anything like that on MOST days because I don't want to use up a bunch of calories daily on something that won't keep me full.
    However, if I'm really hungry for a donut, I'll eat a donut and plan the rest of my day around those calories and know I may have to eat just a low-cal salad for dinner. I don't deny myself things all the time because I know if I do that I'll just end up feeling super deprived, I'll give up and I'll end up eating most of what's in our kitchen.

I think 10 minutes is a great way to start exercising. Even less if you have to... whatever you need to do to get your body moving is what you should do! If that's 10 minutes for now and increasing over time, then great! You may learn to love exercise once you start doing it for awhile.
    I hope this makes sense to you, I tend to ramble lol. Feel free to add me (this extends to everyone! ), I am always looking for new friends.
  • medlaura
    medlaura Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    It took me 3 weeks to get create a habit of eating healthy and exercising daily. The trick is to make your self workout even if you don't want to do it. Eventually you will enjoy it want to do more of it. I'm sure your therapist told you to start off with 10 minutes because once you are moving you will want more of it and the 10 minute workouts will turn into 30 minutes or more. Working out feels good, the more you get of it the better you feel. :flowerforyou:
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Baby steps. Getting into the habit is extremely important. You can also use a similar strategy for food. " I will eat one more vegetable a day. "
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry about your bad home situation! I hope you can change that or get away from it soon!
    I also think your therapist gave you good advice. Just get in the habit of being active 10 min. each day. You are already burdened. No need to put more on yourself by saying, "I HAVE to workout one hour every day!" By setting and reaching your daily 10 min. goal you not only teach yourself the HABIT of exercise but you also learn that you ARE successful and can reach your goal.
    Then, when you are stronger or in a better place, you expand your goals. Good luck!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Being active for 10 minutes a day is a great start. Dr. Yoni Freedhoff's exercise mantra in his recent (excellent) book _The Diet Fix_ is as follows: "Some [exercise] is good. More is better. Everything counts." 10 minutes isn't a lot compared with what some people do, but compared with nothing at all, it's great.

As for food: do NOT restrict any food item unless you plan to never eat it again. Otherwise, you'll likely fall back into your old, comfortable habits. Instead, limit portions.

Again, though, start with baby steps. Begin by keeping a food diary. It doesn't have to be here on MFP, and it doesn't even have to include calories. Just write down what you eat. If I did that for today so far, it would be:

Breakfast: 2 small slices of toast, 1 with butter, 1 with cream cheese, and 2 cups of coffee with 1% milk.
    Lunch: cheese quesadilla and a diet Coke
    Afternoon snack: 1 cup of coffee with whole milk

Studies have shown that keeping a diary is correlated with weight loss, even if you don't count calories, as long as you are honest and write down everything. After a couple of weeks, look it over. Do you see patterns, such as having a big afternoon snack if your lunch is too light? Do you eat ice cream on days you have pasta for dinner? A diary can help you make smarter choices about what to eat and when to eat it. Dr. Freedhoff also suggests that, when you have a treat, you should ask yourself, "How much of this do I need in order to feel satisfied?" Then don't eat more than that. One square of good dark chocolate can be more satisfying than an entire Hershey bar.

If you start losing weight with a diary, that may be all you need. If not, then consider counting calories. And while you're at it, stretch those walks into 15 minutes, then a bit more. Park at the far end of the parking lot. Take the stairs if you're only going up 1 or 2 flights.

Good luck!
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I started in reverse ... I tackled my diet and it took about 6 months! I started small - i.e. replacing salad dressing from a bottle for dressing I made, either from vinegar and olive oil or plain greek yogurt. Then I started substituting fatty tortilla chips for healthier Beanitos made from beans (tasty). I would buy a bag and then pre-measure my servings into ziploc bags. You get the idea ...

Then, I tackled exercise, taking it one day at a time. I rather get up early to get my workout done before I go to work because after work, I am tired and would rather spend time with my kids. Each morning, I would hit that alarm button, sometimes hitting snooze and sometimes turning it off. It took another few months before I was consistently going to the gym without that snooze button or turning it off and rolling back over for a few extra sleep minutes.

All of this to say - just one day at a time ... sometimes it can be one hour at a time. Tackle each step, pat yourself on the back and plow forward. Give yourself a pep talk for those times you fail and don't get down on yourself. (Easier said than done, I know). I find that I can get some decent exercise in by my desk at work. I created a playlist on YouTube so I will put one on and march in place while I enjoy some music videos. Easy, fun and your brain sort of checks out for a while.
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Iknewyouweretrouble Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    rhtexasgal wrote: »
    I started in reverse ... I tackled my diet and it took about 6 months! I started small - i.e. replacing salad dressing from a bottle for dressing I made, either from vinegar and olive oil or plain greek yogurt. Then I started substituting fatty tortilla chips for healthier Beanitos made from beans (tasty). I would buy a bag and then pre-measure my servings into ziploc bags. You get the idea ...

Then, I tackled exercise, taking it one day at a time. I rather get up early to get my workout done before I go to work because after work, I am tired and would rather spend time with my kids. Each morning, I would hit that alarm button, sometimes hitting snooze and sometimes turning it off. It took another few months before I was consistently going to the gym without that snooze button or turning it off and rolling back over for a few extra sleep minutes.

All of this to say - just one day at a time ... sometimes it can be one hour at a time. Tackle each step, pat yourself on the back and plow forward. Give yourself a pep talk for those times you fail and don't get down on yourself. (Easier said than done, I know). I find that I can get some decent exercise in by my desk at work. I created a playlist on YouTube so I will put one on and march in place while I enjoy some music videos. Easy, fun and your brain sort of checks out for a while.

Amen!
  • stu164
    stu164 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight then you will it's only you who can make a change , eat healthy drink plenty of water and get your trainers on and pound them roads weather you run or walk .ignore negative people surround yourself with positive people and just think positive and if you feel hungry drink water lots of it in between meals .