Protein!

Options
Hi guys!

Part 1: I know this has been done to death...but I'm struggling to get my protein intake up. I don't eat much meat and am keeping carbs to a minimum. What would you suggest is the healthiest way?

Pt. 2: What protein shakes do you recommend for weight loss? I've always used Maxitone Sculptress Diet, but I doubt it's the best on offer...plus I'm not overly keen on the sweeteners.

Any advice you can give would be gratefully received!

Replies

• amygould
    amygould Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    1. Eggs are really high in protein. 2. Nut Butters and Seed Butters are great also. 3. Quinoa while not low carb does have protein. 4. A combo of beans and rice is a balanced protein, but again not low in carbs. 5. Protein shake of some kind.

Shakes. It depends on your goal for the shake. I've been using Vegan Shakeology. (I'm allergic to whey) it is 16 grams of protein, if I wanted to supplement for more protein I would probably eat an egg or two with it. I like it because it has a lot of nutrients, super foods and acidophilus. I have a lot more energy since taking it. If you just want more protein, you can take a whey protein shake with more grams of protein than that. I haven't been using one, so I don't have recommendations there.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    0% fat greek yogurt - 18g protein for 97 cals (170g)
    Egg whites (can get them in a carton) - 9g protein for 43 calories (85g)
    1 Large egg - 6g protein for 70 calories
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    cottage cheese, fish, lentils/pulses, chicken etc
  • JuliaHaleFitness
    JuliaHaleFitness Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Eggs are my #1! Greek yogurt is great, beans (they have carbs but still a good source of protein). Do you eat fish?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    See you are in the UK as well.
    I really dislike the taste of any powder sweetened with Sucralose so I use this brand as it's sweetened with Stevia instead....

http://www.theproteinworks.com/products?cat=227

Having said that I do think it's best to get as much as possible from your normal diet and thinking of protein with every meal really reduces the need to supplement. Don't forget dairy.

Smoked salmon and scrambled eggs is a lovely (protein rich and low carb) way to start the day for example.
  • curlywagg
    curlywagg Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm veggie with a bovine dairy intolorance and if you look at my diary I am usuless at getting the level of protein that I am advised to have (I know that there are lattes on there by I love them an choose to deal with the consiquences when I give in which is far to frequently at the moment *sigh* !must stop!). I tend to stay away from yogurts and cheeses so i decided that no matter what I will have at least one portain a day. I have eggs, quorn, bean/pulses and nut/seed for at least one meal.

I know this is not the best but I decided that it is better than nothing and it is working for me so for now I'm sticking to it.

I do know if this is much help and I hope you find what works for you.
  • Sued0nim
    edited April 2015
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    See you are in the UK as well.
    I really dislike the taste of any powder sweetened with Sucralose so I use this brand as it's sweetened with Stevia instead....

http://www.theproteinworks.com/products?cat=227

Having said that I do think it's best to get as much as possible from your normal diet and thinking of protein with every meal really reduces the need to supplement. Don't forget dairy.

Smoked salmon and scrambled eggs is a lovely (protein rich and low carb) way to start the day for example.

@sijomial imma coming for breakfast
  • elixile
    elixile Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    @curlywagg can you get soya latte where you buy yours? Coffee places use a professional soya product that doesn't curdle and tastes lovely (imho).

@sparklepants I second things like greek yoghurt, cottage cheese, eggs and pulses/legumes. I sprinkle some hemp seed on my breakfast each day as it gives me (as a veggie) some much needed protein plus omega 3/6.

Brassica veg (broccoli, kale, cabbage, sprouts etc) seem to be the highest veg for protein. Whilst they have carbs, they also contain plenty of fibre.
  • curlywagg
    curlywagg Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    @elixile If I'm out I always get soya lattes but there are only machines around the industrial estate where I work. I do actually LOVE tha taste of soya lattes so it is a shame I can't get them all the time :(