Does it all go to hell!??

Options
Hello all,

My question is about eating after exercising.

I have a somewhat awkward routine where I get up at around 10, make myself a healthy lunch by 11,eat, walk 4km to the library, study study study, and then walk back 4km (uphill) at around midnight.

The thing is, once I'm back home at midnight I'm starving! and I tend to eat a healthy snack or leftovers from my lunch. The calorie count of the day still remains in the green and is fine. The problem is, I've heard you mustn't eat until about at least 1 hour after exercising or all the calories you just burned will be gained back and the exercise was for nothing.

Is that true? Am I immediately replacing all the calories I burned? Did the 4km walk just go to hell?

I know the wise thing would be to just shower and go to bed once I'm back, but I'm honestly starving and can't think about anything but food! :neutral: silly I know, but true!

So what do you all think?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I have to say, that's a new one on me, but it's total bunk!! Please slap whoever told you that.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    When you eat does not matter.
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    If you are starving you should eat. If you log your exercise for the day your calorie allowance will go up. You will be fine. Just don't go above the amount of calories you are allowed to eat.
  • LilyBeeMe
    LilyBeeMe Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I know you have to have a calorie deficiency and that seems absolutely logical to me too. But, it was an aerobics' teacher who would always nag us to wait at least 1 hour (better 2 hours) to eat after class.
    Plus, I had this very skinny friend who was trying to gain weight and her nutritionist had asked her to exercise and then immediately eat fatty foods like potatoes and meat and mayonnaise and things....
  • LilyBeeMe
    Options
    I just found this article that basically says only 15mins. Think I should be fine.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/437419-how-long-after-i-work-out-should-i-eat/

Any other feedback would be much appreciated
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I have to say, that's a new one on me, but it's total bunk!! Please slap whoever told you that.

yup

slap 'em hard

with a fish

Fish_Slap.gif
  • nekoface
    nekoface Posts: 149 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    This wait one hour after exercising sounds like *kitten*. If you worry about it, maybe have a satisfying milky drink before bed, like warm milk or a yogurt smoothie? Helps with sleep too.

The other thing is maybe the rule exists in case you have a really intense exercise and having a heavy meal after will make you feel ill.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I've heard you mustn't eat until about at least 1 hour after exercising or all the calories you just burned will be gained back and the exercise was for nothing.

It's utter rubbish!
    When I cycle I eat before, during and after (a lot!!).

Concentrate of your overall calorie balance and you will be fine.
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    This kind of reminds me...I had a roommate whose cousin told him that he needed to exercise RIGHT AFTER he ate, so he would burn it off and it wouldn't turn into fat. He would eat a ton of garbage, walk around the block, and wonder why he wasn't losing weight...

As long as you stay within your calories, I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter when you eat.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    LilyBeeMe wrote: »
    I just found this article that basically says only 15mins. Think I should be fine.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/437419-how-long-after-i-work-out-should-i-eat/

Any other feedback would be much appreciated

As a general rule, any information preceded by either "aerobic instructor", "fitness expert", "nutritionist", or "Livestrong" should be viewed with a high level of skepticism.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,207 Member
    Options
    LilyBeeMe wrote: »
    The problem is, I've heard you mustn't eat until about at least 1 hour after exercising or all the calories you just burned will be gained back and the exercise was for nothing.

I've heard exactly the opposite ... that you're supposed to eat within 1 hour of exercise.

I've even heard that when you eat within 1 hour of exercise you can eat whatever you want and you won't gain weight. Of course, I don't believe that, but this sort of thing is quite commonly heard in the cycling crowd.

I've never heard that you shouldn't eat until at least 1 hour after exercise.

Go ahead and eat. As long as you're still in the green with your calories, you're fine.

• LilyBeeMe
    Options
    Thanks so much for the feedback everyone. I'll be gobbling down my leftovers guilt free tonight ;)
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    If you're always hungry, increasing the amount of protein you are eating will help. If you let MFP calculate your macros, I'm guessing they are way too low on your protein allowance. I know it's up for debate, but I think if you're not getting 1g of protein per pound you way you are low-balling it.