The lowly apple

Options
I love apples and try to fit one in every day. I had been logging my "medium apple" 100 g faithfully each day. Then one day, I put the thing on the scale. ARRRGGGG! my what I thought was a medium apple (100 g) was closer to 300 g! Now they go on the scale to get logged more closely to accurately. I wonder what a 100 g apple looks like. Maybe a crab apple? LOL!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I have never seen a 100 g apple, although I'm sure they exist. Even the tiny ones I buy are at least 110 g.

• 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    A food scale is a must have tool, imo.
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Blimey, 300G is a huge apple! What I consider a medium comes to approx. 150G

Where are you getting these mega apples from!?
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I've eaten Granny Smith apples that were 250+ grams. I rarely can find smaller ones it seems.
    edit, I weigh mine without the core too.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the 100g apples are usually the apples that come in a bag with some fancy name like L'il Snappers.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing the whole apple or without the core? I'm sure the core of a 300g apple doesn't weight 200g, but the calories listed are probably for the edible portion only.

Also, I've noticed that many commercial apples seem much bigger these days than they used to be, or what I get from my apple trees at home. It could be that what was medium at the time calories were measured (which could have been a decade or more ago) is not so medium anymore.
  • MarissaEgham
    MarissaEgham Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You had me thinking there. For some reason that I cant remember I've always put 125g and seeing your post made me think. After weighing an apple 168g then coring it, it came down to 130g. I must have done this before but couldn't remember how I got the answer.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing the whole apple or without the core? I'm sure the core of a 300g apple doesn't weight 200g, but the calories listed are probably for the edible portion only.

Yeah I thought that too.

Weigh the core when you're done too to see how many grams of the initial weight you actually ate

(or cut and core the apple before eating and just weigh what you're going to eat)
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

Yeah I thought that too.

Weigh the core when you're done too to see how many grams of the initial weight you actually ate

(or cut and core the apple before eating and just weigh what you're going to eat)

I do this too.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I usually just guesstimate my apples but I buy similarly-sized ones all the time and I'm going based on having weighed them early on (before and after, subtracting the core).

It really depends on the variety. In the fall, I buy local apples -- Macintosh, Lobo, Spartan -- and those tend to be smaller. The rest of the year I usually buy imported Granny Smith apples since I love their tartness, and they tend to be freakishly big.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I get little tiny ones that are around 125. I have only found this size at one store and luckily in the variety of apple I eat.
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I always slice and core my apples before weighing, and even without the core they usually are at least 175grams, and sometimes over 200
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I do slice and weigh the apples after the core is gone. The 300 g apple is by no means the largest apple out there. I quit buying from one store because their apples were closer to a pound. (454 g) Yikes! Most of the ones I have been weighing lately are average size and come in at 250-300 g without the core. It really has me thinking what else am I sadly guesstimating so incorrectly. MMMM
  • Kiku10
    Kiku10 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I know. It sucks, they're like 8 oz. and not even the huge ones. I crave apples. I can get hooked on the 20 some grams of sugar they contain. I want less, but try to find a normal small apple...
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    You do know the g for apples doesn't count the core, you have to weight after you cut them! Huge apples I get are usually not even 100g worth after I cut them up.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I do slice and weigh the apples after the core is gone. The 300 g apple is by no means the largest apple out there. I quit buying from one store because their apples were closer to a pound. (454 g) Yikes! Most of the ones I have been weighing lately are average size and come in at 250-300 g without the core. It really has me thinking what else am I sadly guesstimating so incorrectly. MMMM
    Wow even without the core?! I usually get a large bowl of apple slices for 100g hmm I hope I am not weighing incorrectly
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I buy Fuji and Honeycrisp apples, and they are usually 250-300g, too. I usually cut them in half and save for later/share with my son.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's apples can be tiny. I get the pink lady apples and they usually weigh around 100g cored. Last time they were bigger though.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    81Katz wrote: »
    A food scale is a must have tool, imo.

+1
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Sad day, I never thought to weigh my apples. :( Guess who's going on the food scale in the morning.