I'm always hungry

Options
and just want to eat junk but I won't!! It's just hard since I'm am an emotional eater and feeling super depressed today

Replies

• kisses71213
    kisses71213 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    going for a walk helps tons!!!
  • jezzyrae
    jezzyrae Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Get out of the food zone! I am always hungry too! Need to find foods tht make tht feeling go away.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Are you actually hungry or just turning to food to deal with the emotional stuff? If you're always stomach-rumbling hungry then your weight loss per week goal may be too aggressive. Set your goal a little lower and get more calories to eat each day. If it's emotional then it's something you're going to need to learn how to deal with to keep the weight off once you reach your goal. Try writing down what you're feeling when you feel the need to turn to food.

I hope your day gets better!
  • tinakathleen525
    tinakathleen525 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! My stomach is growling but instead of healthy choices, just to feel better emotionally I want to eat comforting foods or to at least have something that gives me enjoyment
  • SueInAz
    Options
    Thanks guys! My stomach is growling but instead of healthy choices, just to feel better emotionally I want to eat comforting foods or to at least have something that gives me enjoyment
    Who says you can't have comforting foods and still lose weight? Weight loss isn't about eating "healthy" (which is an ambiguous term, at best) it's about eating less calories than you burn. Have your treats but enjoy them in moderation making sure they fit into your calorie goal.
  • katsemptybox
    katsemptybox Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    the majority of people walk around dehydrated and don't even know it. they often mistake thirst for hunger. try drinking a good size cup of water and wait about 5 minutes. you might not feel ~as~ hungry...
  • SueInAz
    Options
    the majority of people walk around dehydrated and don't even know it. they often mistake thirst for hunger. try drinking a good size cup of water and wait about 5 minutes. you might not feel ~as~ hungry...
    I've read this, too, but it's also been basically debunked. Most of us aren't dehydrated and can very well tell the difference between thirst and hunger. The color of our urine indicates perfectly how hydrated we are. Very pale yellow = sufficiently hydrated.

Besides, drinking a cup of water isn't going to instantly rehydrate anyone if they're truly dehydrated. All that drinking a big cup of water would do is to trick your stomach into thinking there's food in there and it isn't fooled for long.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I was going to copy/paste my standard hunger advice for you but I think I already posted it in your other thread. Have you had a chance to put any of the suggestions from that thread into play? I'm an emotional eater, too, but stomach rumblies sound more like real hunger.
  • katsemptybox
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    I've read this, too, but it's also been basically debunked. Most of us aren't dehydrated and can very well tell the difference between thirst and hunger. The color of our urine indicates perfectly how hydrated we are. Very pale yellow = sufficiently hydrated.

Besides, drinking a cup of water isn't going to instantly rehydrate anyone if they're truly dehydrated. All that drinking a big cup of water would do is to trick your stomach into thinking there's food in there and it isn't fooled for long.

In some cases, the color of one's urine can be altered by medications they are taking, even multi-vitamins, and therefore might not the best indicator of hydration. Skin snap tests work pretty well, pinch the skin on the back of your hand if it snaps back into place quickly you're likely hydrated enough. If your skin holds its pinched shape for a while and slowly goes back to place you might need to drink a little more water.

In any case, the my "advice" still works - my stomach is sufficiently "fooled" long enough for me to get distracted by something else (preferably not food related). If it works for me, it might work for others, too.
  • jessicasrsly
    jessicasrsly Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein! Or, deal with underlying anxiety. Once I was feeling really anxious and suddenly my stomach felt like it was growling, like I was hungry, but I had literally just eaten a very filling breakfast. Anxiety sometimes masks itself as hunger. Maybe try listening to a meditation app. I recommend the Lose Weight meditation app by Andrew Johnson. It has been working to both relax me and help me focus on my weight loss goals by avoiding the foods I don't really want in my body (you know, the ooey-gooey junk).
  • tinakathleen525
    Options
    I am trying to eat more protein but I really don't eat much meat. I only went back to eating chicken breast recently and that's it. I do eat beans though, and I was dehydrated I hadn't had any water yet but am now drinking some
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Eat a variety of food and learn to differenciate between hunger and boredom.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I am trying to eat more protein but I really don't eat much meat. I only went back to eating chicken breast recently and that's it. I do eat beans though, and I was dehydrated I hadn't had any water yet but am now drinking some

Peanut butter is good. Don't want to load up because it is calorie dense, but a couple of tablespoons with an apple is surprisingly filling.
  • tinakathleen525
    Options
    Yes I love the earth balance peanut butter coconut spread but only have 2 tea spoons on toast
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I used to always get super hungry after a few drinks and always wanted something decadent so I started making dishes that were mainly veggies and protein, with a sauce or condiment to make them taste more like a treat. I still eat tofu and broccoli stir fry with soy sauce, sriracha and PB2, just because it tastes so good.

You could also try combos like strawberries dipped in dark chocolate, apples with peanut butter (I think that's been mentioned already), skim or soy milk with cocoa and sweetener, maple baked beans, etc.
  • wrenegade64
    wrenegade64 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    You can substitute lots of guilty things with alternatives when your brain is going bonkerz! Instead of ice cream, eat from a tub of low-fat or fat-free frozen Cool Whip. I am a sucker for bomb pops (red, white, and blue popsicles). They make them sugar-free! Swap some cookies for reduced fat graham crackers. Tons of ideas on the internet. Just google it. You will be surprised. U GOT THIS!!!
  • tinakathleen525
    Options
    Thank you!!!
  • katsemptybox
    Options
    dubird wrote: »

Peanut butter is good. Don't want to load up because it is calorie dense, but a couple of tablespoons with an apple is surprisingly filling.

I was also going to suggest peanut butter (but to be careful b/c it is high in calories). I'd like to throw in Beef Jerky - not slim jims, too greasy, but the actual dehydrated dry beef jerky. It helps me with the "bottomless pit" feeling I can get around my period when I want to eat everything in sight.
  • Timmi1978
    Timmi1978 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    and just want to eat junk but I won't!! It's just hard since I'm am an emotional eater and feeling super depressed today

You know, hunger is an irresistible force. Sooner or later will power gives in to hunger.

The problem with most diet is that they leave you hungry. And you will never lose weight and keep it off on any diet that leaves you hungry all the time.

Have you tried eating Paleo yet? One of the unique features of Paleo is that it reduces hunger dramatically.

I don't want to list all the gimmicks and diets I've tried and that have failed in the end because I couldn't resist to snack like a starving shark.

Eating Paleo tamed my 'inner shark'.

Actually, on this wonderful forum you can find great posts about getting started with paleo. Or, a rather complete step-by-step guide is PaleoLeap's book with meal plan (for your ref.: timreviews.com/paleo-recipe-book )

If I can stop my hunger, you can stop yours.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough food to fuel your workouts?