What food plan do you follow?

Options
I have 160lbs to shed. I am having a hard time trying to figure out what to eat. I am not a salad lover (not yet anyways).
I think I need some structure. Any advice?

TIA

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Guess it depends on the individual, but I have found IIFYM (if it fits your macros) works for me. No restrictions, special foods, pills...just eating within goals.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    No food plan per-sei. I try to get in around 6 servings of veg per day and a couple servings of fruit...some whole grains, healthy fats, and lean sources of protein. Most of my food is prepared using scratch, whole ingredients...but I also eat desert pretty much every night, have pizza night every couple of weeks, drink craft beer, etc.

The most important factor to losing weight is simply hitting your calorie targets. Everything else is gravy.
  • Fanpat
    Fanpat Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I follow the 21 day fix eating plan
  • Harold76
    Harold76 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I go by CICO. Calories in Calories Out
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Everything else is gravy.

mmmmmmmmmm gravy

• kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    No plan. I eat regular food and fit it into my daily calorie goal.

I have found that I like to eat a bigger dinner so I eat lighter for breakfast and lunch. But that's purely personal preference.

My biggest piece of advice is to make small progressive changes rather than a sweeping change everything plan. Unless you have to lose weight quickly for your health (and in that case, speak to your Dr) take the time to develop new habits so the weight loss sticks.

Rather than trading out all your old foods for new ones, decrease your usual portions and maybe add a few lower calorie fruits and veggies.

Oh and I rarely eat salad, especially as a meal. My food log is open if you want to look.
  • carreen
    carreen Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I count calories in vs calories out too, but I try to stick to the Weight Watchers Simply Filling plan/power foods. It allows me to eat more than if I were eating empty calories.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I follow the "eat fewer calories than I burn" plan.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I don't follow a plan, but I eat a balance of carbs/fats/proteins, mainly just drink water and tea, eat lots of veggies and fruit daily, fit in a small dessert/treat after dinner and have 1 or 2 meals out on the weekend. It's very sustainable for me.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    CICO (Calories in Calories Out) Basically I eat less calories than I burn, according to the laws of physics, that means weight loss. 83 pounds down so far, and I can eat whatever the hell I want to eat, which is awesome. Of course, through the process of logging, I have started making healthier choices, but I still rarely eat salads, they aren't my thing either.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    IIFYM

^If it fits your mouth. :smile:
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Fanpat wrote: »

What about day 22?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I have made my own plan. I need some structure, but it can't be too strict. Depending on availability, time and appetite: Lots of variety, foods from every food group every day. Try to hit around 70 grams of fat and protein. Five meals a day, each containing at least a serving of vegetables and fatty protein. Three servings of fruit, and some nuts every day. Dinner is protein, starch and vegetable. Breakfast is usually crispbread. Other meals can be anything - cheese, smoothie, porridge, crispbread, salad... No "light" versions if I can avoid it.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    Fanpat wrote: »

What about day 22?

slide_317276_2917128_free.gif
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I have followed the South Beach Diet for many years.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice here. I especially second easing into it with a progression of small manageable changes vs. sweeping change all at once.

In addition to counting total calories, I aim roughly for equal calories from each macronutrient. E.g. a daily goal of 1200 calories (to simplify the math) consists of 400 calories from protein, carb & fat each. That's 100g protein, 100g carb (of which >25g is fiber) and 44g fat (of which <10g is saturated). It's a starting place. Some people (e.g. athletes) do better with more carb and less fat. Some people (e.g. diabetics) need more fat and less carb. Once you calculate your daily protein need, that should be fairly constant regardless of your preferred fat and carb balance. FWIW, I don't eat much salad either.

I'm not sure if that's helpful or what you mean by "food plan." It's a general guideline I use to make my food choices. I log what I want to eat for the day BEFOREHAND and see how the macronutrients look. If I'm low or high on one or more, I adjust. Once you get used to a stable eating pattern, you won't have to adjust much. Especially when starting out, it's easier to pre-log than to log it as you eat it because you won't end up with something impossible (e.g. a 200 calorie dinner with 60g protein) at the end of the day. Best wishes to you!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    My weekly meal plan starts with the sales circulars from my local grocery stores. Healthy eating does not need to be expensive. I use sites like Eating Well and Cooking Light for suggestions. In the past I did the Bode by Vemma program (with Chris Powell) which is basically a carb cycling plan but did not buy the shakes and other products.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I don't follow an eating plan because I don't like structure, but if I wanted structure I think I might go with South Beach. It's not overly restrictive and allows for variety while still providing a structured plan.
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I don't follow a plan as such but roughly this is what I eat. I tend to eat very little during the day because I hate being hungry in the evening.

Weekday breakfast: a banana or a banana with low-fat joghurt or quark
    Weekend breakfast: either skip or scrambled eggs with bacon or smoked salmon

Lunch: Salad (lettuce, tomato, cucumber, bell peppers) plus a source of protein, such as lean ham or shrimp or chicken breast;

Snack: I try not to snack a lot but I keep small no-added-sugar cereal bars at school just in case I get horribly hungry

Dinner: Vegetables plus protein. Tonight it's salad with ham, last week I had green asparagus with salmon.

• _lyndseybrooke_
    Options
    MikaMojito wrote: »
    I don't follow a plan as such but roughly this is what I eat. I tend to eat very little during the day because I hate being hungry in the evening.

Weekday breakfast: a banana or a banana with low-fat joghurt or quark
    Weekend breakfast: either skip or scrambled eggs with bacon or smoked salmon

Lunch: Salad (lettuce, tomato, cucumber, bell peppers) plus a source of protein, such as lean ham or shrimp or chicken breast;

Snack: I try not to snack a lot but I keep small no-added-sugar cereal bars at school just in case I get horribly hungry

Dinner: Vegetables plus protein. Tonight it's salad with ham, last week I had green asparagus with salmon.

That just makes me sad. You get "horribly hungry" between meals because you're hardly eating anything at all.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    No ridiculous fad diet plan of the day needed. Just eat less than you burn.