Looking for any suggestions for logging take out Chinese food.

Options
mitri23
mitri23 Posts: 11 Member
Trying to log everything but having trouble with Chinese food any suggestions/resources? Thanks.

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    It's a crap shoot. I just look for the entry that sounds the most like what I got, and log more than I actually eat to be on the safe side.
  • mitri23
    Options
    Thanks. Thats kind of what I've been doing and I was just curious what other people have been doing.
  • schweppeT
    schweppeT Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You can also try entering in the name of the restaurant and see if MFP has their menu available for you to select your food from…I know it works if you type in Panda Express for example, it comes up! ;)
  • MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    yeah, I went out for Chinese the other night and I had to pretty much guess. I looked for entries that were similar to what I got, for example I had a spring roll and a couple of steamed shrimp dumplings and they were a fairly good entries for that, as well as happy family which is the combination product but those entries were all over the place so I kind of went middle of the road.
  • kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    If you find the same dish served by a big chain restaurant, their calories in the database may come from their website, etc. I'd go with the closest match you can find, as long as it doesn't have a suspiciously low calorie total.
  • Gel_W91
    Gel_W91 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    tbh chinese is always gonna be high in calories so i'd either leave it or quick add. i usually quick add around 3k for any type of chinese/indian/pizza. i think even good options will add up to 1.2-1.5k
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I quick add 1000 calories and call it good.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    At all of the Chinese takeout spots around here you can buy plain steamed protein and vegetables and it comes with sauce on the side. I have always ordered that for the past 20 years - chicken and broccoli - and drizzle a teeny bit of sauce.
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Following! I have been avoiding Chinese food for just this reason. I try to guesstimate but everything has a sauce. So hard to figure out what ingredients might be in there.
  • mitri23
    Options
    Thanks everyone appreciate the input.
  • DaveinSK
    DaveinSK Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    It's just a guess for me, but I just try to look up something similar. My big thing is vermicelli noodle bowls, since we'll go out for them every couple weeks at work.

Luckily, a little bit of googling was able to find basically the same dish in what seems to be a similar size, so I just used that. Hopefully it's close