Tummy Tuck/Cosmetic Surgery

Options
Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone out there has had or is planning on having a tummy tuck or some form of cosmetic surgery after extreme weight loss.

I lost a fair amount of weight and am left with very loose skin that hangs like udders when
I bend over.

Is anyone in the same boat?

Replies

• whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I am planning the same. After 3 pregnancies (and each baby being 9+ pounds), and 3 c-sections, my stomach is a mass of loose skin, stretch marks, and sagging. There is no way it will go back to normal on it's own. I'll be planning surgery once I reach goal (at that point it will be a 80-90 lb loss in total).
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I've budgeted for it, and my husband is fully supportive. I am over 60, and that saggy neck skin isn't going to firm up on its own or with any amount of neck-cersizes. I don't ever plan on being in the SI swimsuit issue, so I'll probably leave anything below the waist alone.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    i too have a tummy tuck planned in the next couple years. i have already gone for a consultation and therefore have quite a bit to save! 2 pregnancies and when i reach goal( another 30lb) i will have lost 80lbs. my stomach is full of stretch marks and lose skin. i pretty much wear shapewear daily.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I had a tummy tuck, not after weight loss but after two babies. Now I have four babies =) It was the best thing I ever did for myself, you won't regret it. In May I have a breast lift scheduled that I'm pretty excited about! If you're having a tuck due to weight loss and not pregnancy you can probably get away with just skin repair and no muscle sutures. good luck.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    My sister lost a lot of weight and 4 weeks ago travelled to Mexico for a tummy tuck and arm lift. I know a lot of people are very anti medical tourism, but she did her research and didn't go by price alone. She had a great hospital and amazing care. The difference in her already, even with the normal swelling that takes a few months to subside, is incredible.
  • motiv8rz
    motiv8rz Posts: 21
    Options
    I had the full mommy makeover after two pregnancies resulting in over 60lbs gains each time. I lost the weight on my own and the surgeries just were the icing on the cake...made me go from accomplished to freakin' supah star (in my mind ha!) Just keep in mind tummy tuck has nothing to do with the weight loss, separate deal so make sure you do that procedure at the end of your journey.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    A fair number in my Bariatric support group are considering it. I think I'll dodge that bullet, though I've got some impressive soggy bits myself. For me, the sagging is not interfering with what I want to do. I totally understand if you need to do this.

There are several surgeries available like a 360 whole body lift (graphic photos) or a panniculectomy. It all depends on where you end up what you will need.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 130 pounds and have had 4 major abdominal surgeries where I was cut from my belly button down....yes, I will have a tummy tuck at some point! At this point I don't even let my husband see me without a shirt one...it's not pretty!
  • numinousnymph
    numinousnymph Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i have lost ~70 lbs and i have loose skin on my lower abdomen and inner thighs. it definitely causes me distress and unless i see a miraculous change in another year or so, i'm going to have surgery to fix it. it interferes with clothes fitting me properly -- i'm a different size in my abdomen than my chest or my butt, so buying new clothes isn't the joy i thought it'd be once i lost weight. i'm only 24, 5' 4", ~123 lbs and yet still have a "hanging" stomach like i did when i was obese, but i can tell that the majority of that hang is skin now. when i bend over or sit down it's just awful. you can grab it with both hands, it's all wrinkly and folds and squishes... just yuck! that's definitely NOT something i want to live with for the rest of my life. i'm also rather nervous about going under the knife, not only the risk of death that comes with any surgical procedure but also 'cause i know it's going to result in scars and a basically deformed bellybutton. but if it means i can wear the clothes i want and not feel downright ashamed, embarrassed, and self-hating when i look in a mirror then i think it could be worth it.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I'm planning to get an upper arm lift in the near future. My arms are hanging so badly and it's uncomfortable as well as unsightly. I'm hoping to see a doctor soon to get more info this year at the very least.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing I'm going to need it so I'm saving up now!
  • HollysHappiness
    Options
    I have my consult for Tummy Tuck & Breast implants on January 11th 2016. Getting both done on the same day in March sometime. Lost all my weight but the skin left isn't nice :/ . After 4 kiddos this body needs some work done!!! Getting my cosmetic surgeries done in Destin florida
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,056 Member
    Options
    About 10 years ago, I lost 100 pounds and I was left with a little "skirt" of hanging skin. I had a tummy tuck which was not only the tummy, but also wrapped around each hip towards the back. I think it went almost 3/4 of the way all around me. The surgeon also did liposuction at the same time. I was happy at the time even though it was very painful to recover from. I was generally pleased with the result, but even today still have some pain upon contact. I am not sure if this will fade, or maybe it's because my work was so large. I don't know whether this has been anyone else's experience.

Unfortunately, I gained all that weight back...but luckily my same shape remained, my tummy was firm, and I had curves still. You never regain fat back in the same place as you had the tummy tuck and lipo apparently. Now that I have lost 70 pounds again, I have to say that my tummy and hips look better than the first time I lost the weight, due to having had the tummy tuck. There is nothing hanging like the frist time I did this. I beat myself up big time after I gained the weight back, and thought I'd ruined everything. But I guess I will just have to wait and see how I look after the rest of the weight comes off again....this time for good. I am so pumped about having the confidence to commit to this for life.

Although I am glad that I had this surgery 9 years ago, I'm not sure I'd do it again. I guess I will know more once I am nearer my goal, still 65 pounds to go yet. ( I gained back more than I lost the first time around )

It also does result in a weight loss when you have that excess cut off....mine weighed 10 pounds. But be warned.....you won't be able to exercise vigorously for 8 weeks after having the procedure, so it is hard to stay within your plan without gaining some weight back. Also be prepared to wear compression garments to hold you back together afterwards....weird but necessary. I felt like I'd fall apart at the seams if I didn't have it on.

I also liked my new belly button too.
  • jessacaitwar
    jessacaitwar Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the replies! I am planning on booking a consult for a tummy tuck next October! All of you feel free to add me :smile:
  • sfThrasher
    sfThrasher Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had my consult yesterday, April 8, and have scheduled a pre-op appointment for Nov.10. I am hoping that by than I will be down to 150 lbs or less. Currently doing cardio and using dumbbells to tone up.
  • GodlessHeathen
    GodlessHeathen Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    No. Yes I will always have the saggy c section tummy. My tummy will never be the same most likely ,but I just don't have the urge to get a surgery unless it's for health reason. I just don't want to deal with recovery ect
  • bug1114
    bug1114 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I highly suggest checking out the website Real Self and looking through the tummy tuck reviews. It has them listed by location and doctor (if the person doing the review included it). Not only will you see pictures with real results (it follows people before, during and after their surgery), you'll get tips on what to expect during the healing process, medical complications that can occur, and you'll know who NOT to go to. You can look on there for surgeons in your area and see if they have reviews and if anyone has used them. A tummy tuck is a very big (and painful!) surgery. I personally recommend going to a highly rated doctor and NOT making a decision on which doctor to used based on the lowest price.
  • tacormier
    tacormier Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I had one done four years ago, it was the best thing I have ever done for myself (except for the weight loss). If you want any questions answered just send me a message.
  • bethkallastrask
    bethkallastrask Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I just had a full tummy tuck and breast lift with augment on the 17th of April and am doing great. Word to the wise, search for a board certified plastic surgeon (of course) one who preferably does a quilting stitch closure WITHOUT drains. I have lost over 115 pounds and had tons of extra skin in my midsection and my breasts were a sad story...real sad. Anyways they also used Exparel which is injected into the muscle during surgery and is slow release pain med for 72 hours. At no point during my recovery have I had more that a 2 out of 10 as my pain level. My PS was shocked on Monday when I came in walking straight up on Monday after only having surgery on Friday. Stopped taking Dilauded on day 2, it made me itchy...just been taking Mortin. The whole thing cost me about $12,000 which will vary by surgeon and region ( I live in VA Beach). Never pegged myself as a plastic surgery kinda gal so it was weird for me, but I have no regrets and can't wait to see how I look in a few months, so pleased so far. Feel free to add me as a friend and I can send you pictures if you'd like.
  • chele1028
    chele1028 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Yes, I had lost 108 lbs and had my surgery last April weighing 129 the morning of surgery. At 5'3" my body did not look like 129 lbs though, way too much skin and the boobs were sad. (Also have 2 kids). I had a tummy tuck and lipo of the flanks and a breast reduction and lift. Best thing ever, so happy with the results. I agree that Real Self was very helpful as well.