Vegetarian life helps lose weight?

Options
araya510
araya510 Posts: 10 Member
Is it true that being a vegetarian helps you lose weight? I'm a new vegetarian any recipes that are good??

Replies

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    My sister-in-law gained a lot of weight as a vegetarian. It's still all about burning less than you eat.
  • toofatnomore
    toofatnomore Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    My son gained a ton too... Ate10 of those veggie burgers a day. The only thing that matters is a calorie deficit and if it is eating vegetables, then you will lose weight. You can eat nothing but bacon and lose weight.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Theoretically, if you're eating only vegetables, it would be much easier to lose weight because most vegetables are lower in calories than other foods. You'd be getting full on less calories so would have an easier time losing weight.

However, I've actually known several overweight vegetarians in my life but they were more "junk-food-atarians" than vegetable eaters. Their diet consisted of things like potato and corn chips, salsa, candy, cake and french fries. Technically, it was vegetarian but it wasn't low calorie and it was certainly not a healthy diet. The fact is, if you're eating more calories than you're burning then you will gain weight whether that food is vegetarian or not.

• amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    No. Calorie deficit is what will cause weight loss, some people use vegetarianism as a tool to achieve a calorie deficit, but you still need to eat less calories overall. I know many "healthy" vegetarians, and I know some that are obese. Again, a calorie deficit is what you need.
  • akdetweiler
    akdetweiler Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I do incorporate a lot of vegetarian meals into my diet, just because I love vegetables, beans, etc. But, I've lost 41 lbs also eating lean white meats and the occasional red meat. So, I wouldn't necessarily say it helps you lose more than another type of diet. calories in, calories out.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    amcook4 wrote: »
    No. Calorie deficit is what will cause weight loss, some people use vegetarianism as a tool to achieve a calorie deficit, but you still need to eat less calories overall. I know many "healthy" vegetarians, and I know some that are obese. Again, a calorie deficit is what you need.

This right here. A person can still overeat on veggies, and they do.

Rigger

• mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I gave up meat for lent once. I gained a ton of weight cause all I ate was pasta and potatoes....
  • ginny92802
    ginny92802 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    There's lots of calorie dense foods with no meat in them. My boyfriend is a vegetarian but eats way too much mac n cheese. Baked goods, pie, cake, cookies.... Nothing wrong with that stuff in moderation, but if you eat too many calories it won't matter that none of the calories came from meat. As everyone has said, it's all about eating less than you burn.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    No, it is not true that being vegetarian helps you lose weight. However, you may save on your grocery bill depending on how you do it. Meat is fairly expensive. Beans are less (especially if you buy dry). But, no, you will not automatically lose weight eating vegetarian. It will still be an effort.
  • araya510
    araya510 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! This really helped me out!
  • scarterrn
    scarterrn Posts: 27 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Theoretically, if you're eating only vegetables, it would be much easier to lose weight because most vegetables are lower in calories than other foods. You'd be getting full on less calories so would have an easier time losing weight.

However, I've actually known several overweight vegetarians in my life but they were more "junk-food-atarians" than vegetable eaters. Their diet consisted of things like potato and corn chips, salsa, candy, cake and french fries. Technically, it was vegetarian but it wasn't low calorie and it was certainly not a healthy diet. The fact is, if you're eating more calories than you're burning then you will gain weight whether that food is vegetarian or not.

Agreed. I've been a vegetarian for eight years, but I struggle with bingeing mostly with junk food.

If you can adopt and maintain a whole food, plant-based diet... I think you'd be golden!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    scarterrn wrote: »

Agreed. I've been a vegetarian for eight years, but I struggle with bingeing mostly with junk food.

If you can adopt and maintain a whole food, plant-based diet... I think you'd be golden!

Except you can still be overweight... I know quite a few overweight raw vegans.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I gained weight as a vegetarian. I packed on ~50 lbs eating a strict lacto-ovo vegetarian diet. I've now lost 68 lbs as a lacto-ovo vegetarian.

Potatoes, pancakes, avocado, cheese, butter, olive oil, ice cream, pizza, cake.. all vegetarian, with various levels of nutritional value and satiety. A lot of vegetarian dishes in restaurants and frozen food aisles use high calorie fats to make their foods tasty. I can make a 500 calorie broccoli dish, easily.
  • Degucat
    Degucat Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Sadly sugar is vegetarian... you gotta be careful whatever your diet choices are! Moderation is key!
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Sure
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    scarterrn wrote: »

There is nothing about eating whole foods that will automatically put you at a calorie deficit. People who eat whole foods can still eat to excess.
  • rontafoya
    rontafoya Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Maybe for some, but not for me. In my own personal case, the opposite is what works. I pump heavy iron, eat a ton of meat, fish, bacon, butter, eggs, veggies and very little else, no cardio, and the fat is coming off and I am gaining lean body mass (muscle). The saturated fats and proteins keep me satisfied which keeps overall calories and cravings low, testosterone and muscle production high, and forces me to burn off fat for fuel. I tried a vegetarian diet and started to grow moobs--not for me.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    CICO is what makes you lose weight- not being vegetarian or eating meat or being paleo or fruitarian etc.
    I was vegetarian for 12 years (vegan for 6 months ) and gained 30 pounds- I was eating a diet high in carbs (which made me hungrier- and it's easy to much more cals in carbs than in protein, for most people) - and all the cheese, ALL the cheese.........

Once I went back to meat I did'nt crave so many carbs and have vitually eliminated all grains from my diet because i just don't fancy them anymore. I think I OD'd on rice and pasta and baked potatoes. But anyway- CICO. Nuff said!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit helps you lose weight. If you eat less calories by being vegetarian you'll lose weight. If you eat more calories you'll gain weight. I know fat vegetarians and skinny meat eaters. It's all about the calories.