How to handle a night out at Japonese Steakhouse??

Options
MomofTeens
MomofTeens Posts: 42 Member
Next week I am meeting friends for a long-awaited planned night out at our favorite Japanese Steakhouse (hibachi-style). How do I handle this? Even if I just get the chicken (or better yet, just the hibachi veggies) I know it is going to be loaded with calories and sodium. I can force myself to skip the fried rice (but that is soo good!)
So this will be my one big splurge in the past 30 days. I don't want to only eat a salad or only eat sushi (not a big fan).
So do I just not log in my food for this one day? Not eat at all the day except for the dinner? I don't want to beat myself up about it.

How do y'all handle a night like that when you are at a themed restaurant that isn't much for having healthy options?
Thanks! :happy:

Replies

• Cristy_AZ
    Cristy_AZ Posts: 986
    Options
    Personally I still try to make the healthiest choices possible, be aware of portion sizes and I try to log everything the best I can. But do enjoy! Nothing worse than stressing so much over what to eat and not enjoying time with friends and family!! I would not recommend not eating all day, that's just asking for trouble, in fact, it sometimes helps to have an apple and water before so that you are not too hungry!
  • lisy28
    lisy28 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Its one night!!! Enjoy it!
    work out a little harder that day and earn some more calories to eat up... But after 30 days one night will nto kill your progress.... also just eat smaller portions of the stuff u want to then u can still have a little bit of everything!
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Maybe they have a website with some nutritional info. Maybe only half or 25% of the rice.

Have fun and log it as best as you can and drink lots of water and exercise!

Good Luck!
  • Cadenpet
    Cadenpet Posts: 79
    Options
    Yeah don't freak out. That always makes me do worse.

Something my friends and I have started doing is getting a to-go box immediately. And half everything. Make the healthier choices when ordering and listen to your body, if it says you aren't hungry any longer stop.

And we'll all send you good vibes and luck. Have fun!
  • kennysrush
    kennysrush Posts: 124
    Options
    Everyone deserves a night away. I would look for the healthiest choice you can. If it's a big serving, only eat a portion of it. Don't ignore it though - I suggest logging it, even if it's way over your recommended nutrition levels. You'll may have some water gain for a day or two, but just eat smart to make up for it the rest of the week.
  • Lindsay7360
    Lindsay7360 Posts: 99
    Options
    Go and enjoy it, don't stress.. that will make this weight loss a MISERABLE thing for you.

If you search for "hibachi" in the food database, a lot of options come up. :) Good luck, have FUN!
  • brit1329
    brit1329 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I've gone twice since I started trying to lose weight. Both times I got the fried rice but ordered the hibachi veggies. I looked up the best I could what the calories would be so that I could still fit it into my day. Throughout the day I ate lower calorie foods than I normally do and drank a lot of water. If you don't eat all day beforehand you might feel really hungry and eat more than you normally would. Also the water should help some with feeling full and the high sodium.
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I would try to be careful most of the day, and order the chicken or seafood, eat half and have the other half boxed up. Maybe skip over the rice and noodles or whatever they give you. I would still log for the day, just to be consistent, but really at the end of the day...its not that big of a deal. You cant stress out about it. Enjoy your night and start fresh the next day.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I would just enjoy myself. Don't count calories. Get back on track the next day. Maybe even do an extra workout the day of or the day after or the day before.
  • MasterSpater
    MasterSpater Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    When I have a night I know I am going to cheat, I just log it anyways. I need to know what I'm taking in so I know what I need to do to compensate later.