fine dining

Options
I will be eating at a fine dining restaurant tonight. Not sure what I'll order yet. . . Any tips on logging? I know the portion sizes will at least be reasonably small, but surely rich with butter and the like. The menu is here : http://shuswapchefs.com/

Replies

• beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Honestly, *I* would order the Elk -- not because it sounds like the most reasonable choice but because it sounds AMAZING. Yeah, I'm no help.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    That smoked duck breast tho.....

I was having this EXACT same discussion with myself this morning. Going out with a bunch of friends from high school and reviewed the menu. The most exciting thing where I'm going is a burger though. SO now I'm SO JEALOUS.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    You could try to search MFP for anything similar, but it is likely going to be a total crap shoot whether anything is close. When I go to restaurants like that, I try to make sure the last thing I do is stress about how I'm going to log it. I usually shave a hundred or so calories off my totals for the days leading up to or afterwards so that I have 500-1000 cals banked for overage. I make sure I work out that day. I eat the food, I enjoy the food, I may log a wild guess, or I may just skip it and get back on track the next day. I had a day like that last Saturday when I was on a girls trip, I originally wasn't going to log but decided to look in the database just for curiosity, I think my dinner was about 1,700 including wine, but again, that is a total guess.

Enjoy!

• ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Honestly that all looks so delicious... anything but the pasta.

I would get the filet, log it, and enjoy it!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I say order whatever you danged well want. I would get the portabello salad and either the elk or the duck, and then use the old standards to guestimate logging (a fist is about a cup; a deck of playing cards is about 4 oz of meat; etc. ) and then add about 3 tbsp. of either olive oil or butter to the total calories just on the assumption that they're hiding in there somewhere! And I wouldn't worry a heck of a lot about it. Clearly, this isn't an every-day kind of meal. Go, enjoy it, do you best to take a SWAG at the logging, and just savor the flavor. You can always salad-out tomorrow!
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »

Why not the pasta? It's pasta of the day? It's probably delicious!

For what it's worth on that menu I would get the braised lamb shank but I am a sucker for that kind of meal.

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Honestly, *I* would order the Elk -- not because it sounds like the most reasonable choice but because it sounds AMAZING. Yeah, I'm no help.

Actually, game meats are typically lower calorie. I'm pretty sure that would be negated with the Risotto though.

But, that said, I would order what I wanted and just be careful the rest of the week.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

For what it's worth on that menu I would get the braised lamb shank but I am a sucker for that kind of meal.

Haha I'm sure it is! I would just rather have a chunk of delicious meat!
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

Haha I'm sure it is! I would just rather have a chunk of delicious meat!

LOL - makes sense.

It reminded me of the Dumb and Dumber "Soup du Jour" scene.... ;)

• LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »

Actually, game meats are typically lower calorie. I'm pretty sure that would be negated with the Risotto though.

But, that said, I would order what I wanted and just be careful the rest of the week.

This. Knowing I'm going out on Saturday, I've been pushing it with my workouts all week, and eaten less of my exercise calories back than usual
  • stmariepearl
    stmariepearl Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am definitely going to enjoy my meal and a great local beer or wine and not worry about the calories, but I'll still try to log it with estimates for the sake of being consistant! I rarely eat back any exercise calories so I'm not too worried about being over today. It will be worth it. . . now I just need to pick my meat! I'm edging towards the Elk. or the duck. or the fish. or. . .
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    WTH where is the dessert menu? It's the most important thing!

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

yes.
  • stmariepearl
    stmariepearl Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I got the elk, boyfriend got the duck, and it was ammmazing food. But we could only eat half our meals, they were so rich and filling! Left no room for desert, which they did have. If I had room I would've gotten the salted chocolate mousse. . . it looked incredibly dreamy. We didn't even have room for a whole drink each so we split a beer while we watched the jazz. I'll be having my leftovers for dinner tonight, another guess at logging. At least I can weigh the meat i have left ;)