Cardio at the gym

Options
Amers85
Amers85 Posts: 31 Member
I need to mix up my cardio routine at the gym. I try to keep it fresh so my body is always surprised but I feel like I am running out of ideas. So what are your favorite cardio workouts for the gym? Help me mix it up please :)

Replies

• registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    You're talking about muscle confusion, but you already know that. There are many options. I think what you're currently doing, "one day, tread mill, 1 day, elliptical, 1 day bike. or something like that. WHat if you did all 3 in one day??? Your body isn't used to that.
    What if you do 2 in one day, and 1 the other... Your body will never know what is coming up next. It will say "is she going to do bike, or treadmill next?"

I also like circuit training, for example, light resistance training without a break. This also increases your heart rate. You can mix up the exercises and have a lot of options.

A simple solution is just do the bike for 3 weeks, then treadmill 3 weeks, and elliptical 3 weeks. People usually think, "that's not many options" When you do one for 3 weeks, it's adapted to that exercise, your muscles are strengthened for that exercise, but then you incorporate something else, lets say elliptical for 3 weeks. While you're on the elliptical, your muscles for running aren't really being activated as much, so when you go back to running, it has to re adapt.
  • gavin03
    gavin03 Posts: 39
    Options
    How abount 1 minute sprints. You start off at about 6.0 for a minute and then go to about a 8.5 for a min. I do that for 35 min. Or I do a circuit where I will run as fast as I can for a .25 mile. Then I will do 25 jumping jacks, 25 sit ups, and then 25 pushups then continue doing .25 mile on treadmill and then do the three exercises I mentioned above. I usually do that 3 times. I then finish with walking fast on a incline up to 40 min. That burnes alot of calories. Good Luck.
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Stairstepper---not the kind that just goes up and down pedals. The kind that looks like stairs rolling down. That's a KILLER cardio workout. :sad:
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    lately i've been doing cardio / weights together. if you can get a bit of space, it works really well.

so you do a set of weights, then run up to the end of the room and back or, do fast step ups or skipping in betwen the weights sets. then planks as the recovery when you need a breath.

or boxing if you have boxing bags, you only have to do about 30 seconds of boxing to really rip your heart rate up. then rest by doing a set of weights.
  • Amers85
    Amers85 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! I should clarify I spend 90minutes 6-7days a week at the gym on average. I do strength training 3-4 days a week as well as Jillian Michaels' Ripped in 30 at home in the evening. I typically spend time on the stair climber, elliptical, bike, and treadmill every gym session. I have been doing intervals but like the idea of adding situps, pushups etc into the interval training. Thanks again and if anyone has any other suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.