How to maintain your weight on holiday ????

Options
Hi I have recently lost 3 stone ..... I am going on holiday with my friend and I really dont want to put any weight on while Im away does anybody have any tips ???

Replies

• TiffanyR71
    TiffanyR71 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Lots of walking & don't splurge at every meal! Have lots of fun! :)
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Try to pick active ways to spend your time, like walking to sightsee, swimming, hiking, etc... Do the best you can at making sensible food choices. And most of all have fun - you're going on vacation, so enjoy it! A week or two of being slightly over your calories is not going to completely undo all your hard work!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It's almost inevitable that you'll put on a little water weight just from traveling, so don't let that freak you out. Stay as active as you can (walking, swimming, hotel gym if you have one, etc) and make the most reasonable choices you can while you're eating.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I've never had any issues. I'm usually way more active when I'm on vacation than when I'm at home. Even if I'm not doing deliberate exercise, I'm always doing a lot of walking around and seeing what there is to be seen, swimming (if it's a beach location), scuba, etc...

I recently returned from a week in San Diego...we were in Mission Beach and we walked and biked everywhere. We got in the car once to take the kids to Lego Land and that was it.

When you're eating, just make good nutritional decisions most of the time...and splurge here and there as after all, you are on holiday. Nobody got fat because of holiday/vacation or a special occasion, etc. People get fat when they treat every day like an occasion.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    The last proper holiday I had was my honeymoon to Cuba...2 weeks all inclusive. I did a lot of swimming, kayaking, windsurfing etc. It was hot so I didn't eat that much, although I had rum and coke pretty much every day, and plenty of cocktails at the swim-up bar :). When I got home I'd gained 1lb, and I reckon that was from the flight and the Dominos we ate when we got home!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    Options
    Exercise! :) Have active fun. Hiking, swimming, cycling, kayaking ... even just walking to sightsee.

One of the things my husband and I have done in the past is to get settled in our hotel late in the afternoon/evening ... and then we walk to find something for dinner. Sometimes we've ended up on quite lengthy walks, but that's OK.

• Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I was 3/4 of the way to my goal of loosing 80lbs and took a month long trip to Mexico, rather then eat at a deficit during my vacation I just used what I had learned about portion sizes and burning calories during exercising and used it to estimate eating at maintenance. Weighed within a pound of what I did when I left. Then went back to eating at a deficit.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Practice saying, "No, thank you."
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    That would depend on the type of vacation you are going on. In general I would say exercise, if there is a pool where you are vacationing then I would suggest swimming everyday, walk to the activities your friend and you want to go to if they are close, walk to the restaurants if you can and maybe go dancing. If you are staying in a hotel with a mini frig and microwave I would suggest saving part of your meals and eating them for breakfast and keeping some vegetables and fruit you like to snack on in the mini frig. Maybe check menus out online.
  • louisatinney3
    louisatinney3 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips I will try my best :smiley:
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I too like the mini fridge idea.
    Either bring your own supplies to put in there or do a mini grocery shopping trip to store your snacks in!
  • louisatinney3
    louisatinney3 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Bringing my own food will not be possible because its over seas ... I tend to eat quite fresh on holiday its just more alcohol I will try to stick to diet soda and gin ;) ... Thanks for the support
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I generally lose weight on vacation from being so active. You can still eat out, just make reasonable choices. You can splurge a little and not go crazy- although some vacation locations are better for this (I can't overeat in the Caribbean, it is too damn hot, but when I went to Paris and India ALL I WANTED TO DO WAS EAT THE DELICIOUS FOOD).
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I try to remind myself not to splurge for every meal - one every couple of days is fine. I want to enjoy myself and try great food and let loose a little but if I hit the breakfast buffet then have a burger by the pool then go out for a fancy dinner every night that piles up fast. I'd rather make less calorie-dense choices most of the time and have a few splurge meals. If I gain a bit, it's not the end of the world, but I don't need to TRY to, you know?
  • Flookbird
    Flookbird Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I went on an all-inclusive holiday last week; my first after losing 6 stone. I decided to enjoy myself alcohol-wise. Had a bar of chocolate each day and a McDonalds on the way home. Made sure I walked my 10k steps a day using my fitbit. Got back on Sunday half a stone (7lbs) heavier than when I left and got straight back to tracking/eating at a defecit on Monday. Now only 3.5lbs up and expecting all that to be gone by next week. I know most of it was water weight and getting back in control will mean quickly getting rid of anything that wasn't!

I'm glad I enjoyed myself and didn't think too much about calories for that short time - this is my new life and I know how to get back in control!
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    When I went on vacation during my weight loss phase I went into maintenance mode for the time-upped my calories to maintenance levels and then just enjoyed my holiday :)
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    I've found that I consistantly bloat up 7-9 pounds when I travel, regardless of amount of exercise or food. However, it all comes off within two weeks of getting home and life returning to normal.

Just enjoy yourself in moderation! :)