Does anyone else have trouble sleeping well when training hard and eating in a deficit?

Options
nickycat73
nickycat73 Posts: 61 Member
edited April 2015 in Motivation and Support
Bed around 10 or 1030 and wide awake around 3ish, dying here. Any ideas?

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure when you're training - could you try at a different time?

And, yes, I used to have that type of problem. I simply took a sleeping pill (which happens to be an antihistamine, so it helped with my allergies, too). That helped a bit. For what it's worth, I train in the morning. On days I trained at night, forget about it - I wasn't getting to sleep until late.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I find im tired out if its a late night session, so it makes sleeping easier.
  • nickycat73
    Options
    I train in the morning. I don't have trouble going to sleep just staying asleep. I am dragging *kitten* today. What kind of sleeping pill? I am ready to try anything at this point.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Just a generic antihistamine.
  • ErikThaRed
    ErikThaRed Posts: 139 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You can get over the counter sleeping pills. I took Z-Quil (same makers as NyQuil) a couple times and it worked well, but make sure to start slowly with a small dosage until you understand how it affects you and if you'll still be tired in the morning or not. You can also ask your doctor and they will usually prescribe something, although I haven't done that yet, I know people that have.
  • ErikThaRed
    ErikThaRed Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    ErikThaRed wrote: »
    You can get over the counter sleeping pills. I took Z-Quil (same makers as NyQuil) a couple times and it worked well, but make sure to start slowly with a small dosage until you understand how it affects you and if you'll still be tired in the morning or not. You can also ask your doctor and they will usually prescribe something, although I haven't done that yet, I know people that have.

I didn't answer the main question. Usually when I train, whether it just be walking, higher intensity cardio, or stength training, I sleep pretty darn well. In normal, non training life, I don't sleep well and have had to use those pills on occasion, but I'd rather not, so its been a while.
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Are you waking up hungry, thirsty, needing to pee? Is there a lot of background noise in your home?

You can always take a melatonin half an hour before bed. That really helps me.

My big problem is leg cramps waking me out of a dead sleep. I have started drinking a few glasses of water and eating a banana before bed and that helps. Some people just don't need very much sleep. Some new study shows that happier people require an hour less sleep a night than unhappy people.
  • nickycat73
    Options
    I guess sometimes I have to wake to pee. I usually struggle to get my water in so have been focusing on getting more in. Its been going on since I started training hard again. Had lower back surgery in Dec and just now getting back into the grove, but today I feel like garbage. I went from getting 8 hours to 5 at best.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Just curious if you've just recently started training. I usually have a similar issue once I start something new or up the intensity of something I'm already doing. If you're in the same boat, I'd give it a couple of weeks - generally once I've adjusted to the new activity/intensity I sleep great!

Good luck...!
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I take melatonin and diphenhydramine to sleep at night. AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I am having this issue. Not sure if it's related to (other, mental) stress or is part of "lady problems". I'm reluctant to take sleeping pills, but am considering something like tylenol PM or Z-Quil for the days when I just really **need** to sleep. I've also read about rebooting your sleeping by figuring out how many hours you're actually sleeping, and staying up until that many hours before your alarm goes off. Then you gradually add more time in. I haven't started it, it sounds like just adding to sleep debt... but who knows. I'm tired. I'm cranky, and I just want to STAY asleep.
  • nickycat73
    Options
    I am having this issue. Not sure if it's related to (other, mental) stress or is part of "lady problems". I'm reluctant to take sleeping pills, but am considering something like tylenol PM or Z-Quil for the days when I just really **need** to sleep. I've also read about rebooting your sleeping by figuring out how many hours you're actually sleeping, and staying up until that many hours before your alarm goes off. Then you gradually add more time in. I haven't started it, it sounds like just adding to sleep debt... but who knows. I'm tired. I'm cranky, and I just want to STAY asleep.

THIS. cranky, tired, everyone in my house hates me already because of all we have is clean food in house and I am always working out, talking about working out, or logging food. Ugh